UNI LOAN - high income, supportive parents?

Watch
leahwyd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My household income is around £55k a year and I am totally aware of how I will be around the minimum amount for loans which is perfectly fine, but what do I do when my step parent who earns literally around 50k of this income, says he will refuse to pay/support me financially throughout my university years (due to family issues etc) ?? I have no relationship with my step dad and I never have, we can go months without ever speaking a word to each other. This leaves my mum (who I do have a relationship with), who earns around £100 per week to support me, which would be a totally different scenario in terms of how much I would get in terms of my loan. What do I do about this? IS THIS EVEN LEGAL? I am a Northern Irish student and I aim to go to London for university, if this information helps.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by leahwyd)
My household income is around £55k a year and I am totally aware of how I will be around the minimum amount for loans which is perfectly fine, but what do I do when my step parent who earns literally around 50k of this income, says he will refuse to pay/support me financially throughout my university years (due to family issues etc) ?? I have no relationship with my step dad and I never have, we can go months without ever speaking a word to each other. This leaves my mum (who I do have a relationship with), who earns around £100 per week to support me, which would be a totally different scenario in terms of how much I would get in terms of my loan. What do I do about this? IS THIS EVEN LEGAL? I am a Northern Irish student and I aim to go to London for university, if this information helps.
Does your step dad live with your Mum and if so do you live with both? If that is the case then I'm afraid student finance will count his income too- you'll most likely need to work to make up the income gap. Its perfectly legal.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps contact student finance about the situation. First, speak to your step dad about finance and explain you can't get funding as in the government's view, parents are supposed to supply the difference. I'd see what he says. Do you all live together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
On your application for student fiancé just say your mother is a single parent. That's what I'm doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
*finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Hi

you dont give enough info about your relationship with your step dad i.e live together etc. Contact SFE, but you could consider going for estranged status i.e going and living apart. If you are viewed as estranged and independent then you can apply for student finance on your own merits. Living together would make that very difficult.

I dont believe you can force him to contribute.. London is expensive, so that might mean take a gap year, establish estrangement and go the following year.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._fs_1516_d.pdf
http://standalone.org.uk/guides/student-guide/
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
Perhaps contact student finance about the situation. First, speak to your step dad about finance and explain you can't get funding as in the government's view, parents are supposed to supply the difference. I'd see what he says. Do you all live together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe she already has spoken to him and hes made his view clear. I think that just means she gets minimum, which will not be enough.
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately SFE doesn't help in this kind of situation. It sucks. I'm getting the absolute minimum loan because my dad has a high income but terrible money management. Despite him having an income ~£100k he has no savings and is in lots of debt. To make matters worse, there will be 3 of us in university at the same time, which SFE also takes little consideration of. With high marginal tax rates it's not like my dad is going to be able to spend ~£30k on his 3 kids to make up for the pathetic loans.

I think this whole system of loans being based on your parents income is unfair. Everyone should be allowed to request the maximum loan. Universities and other sources already give bursaries to low income students. my loan doesn't even cover my term time rent.
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)
On your application for student fiancé just say your mother is a single parent. That's what I'm doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just checking that you're fully aware that student finance will ask for proof of this (Usually in the form of discounted council tax) so if your moms partner lives with you you'll have to prove that he doesn't..
Kyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
leahwyd
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
Does your step dad live with your Mum and if so do you live with both? If that is the case then I'm afraid student finance will count his income too- you'll most likely need to work to make up the income gap. Its perfectly legal.
Yes, we all live together. Ahh, that's alright, thanks for your help.
leahwyd
Rep:
?
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have, but he is refusing. Yes we live together
leahwyd
Rep:
?
(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
Unfortunately SFE doesn't help in this kind of situation. It sucks. I'm getting the absolute minimum loan because my dad has a high income but terrible money management. Despite him having an income ~£100k he has no savings and is in lots of debt. To make matters worse, there will be 3 of us in university at the same time, which SFE also takes little consideration of. With high marginal tax rates it's not like my dad is going to be able to spend ~£30k on his 3 kids to make up for the pathetic loans.

I think this whole system of loans being based on your parents income is unfair. Everyone should be allowed to request the maximum loan. Universities and other sources already give bursaries to low income students. my loan doesn't even cover my term time rent.
That sucks so bad I think the system is good to an extent, but when it comes to complicated situation for example parents refusing to pay and the amount of children someone has, it's difficult and ahh
leahwyd
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hi

you dont give enough info about your relationship with your step dad i.e live together etc. Contact SFE, but you could consider going for estranged status i.e going and living apart. If you are viewed as estranged and independent then you can apply for student finance on your own merits. Living together would make that very difficult.

I dont believe you can force him to contribute.. London is expensive, so that might mean take a gap year, establish estrangement and go the following year.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._fs_1516_d.pdf
http://standalone.org.uk/guides/student-guide/
My step dad and I live together with my mum, but I am estranged from my real dad who is meant to be paying for child benefits etc which he doesn't, another reason my step dad refuses to co-operate with the situation. I messaged the university I hope to be attending for help so hopefully will get a reply soon.
leahwyd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you need proof, my step dad lives with us even though we have no relationship with each other :/
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
My step dad and I live together with my mum, but I am estranged from my real dad who is meant to be paying for child benefits etc which he doesn't, another reason my step dad refuses to co-operate with the situation. I messaged the university I hope to be attending for help so hopefully will get a reply soon.
Please contact SFE this morning and explain to them he will not pay. they may let you exclude him from the considered income. Use the phone.

Look to see if there are any scholarships.

The other way is to move out get a job and establish yourself as independent for 3 years.

If the first two dont work then if it were me I would go for the last one and just earn money. Rubbish to do uni constantly scraping and min grant will not pay your accommodation. Post back to see what sfe said. They will deal with the situation all the time.
GiantKiwi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Please contact SFE this morning and explain to them he will not pay. they may let you exclude him from the considered income. Use the phone.
I can categorically say they don't care and won't make any adjustments, as I was in a very similar situation when I started uni in 2009 (living with stepfather on a much higher household income, who refused to offer any monetary support). I had to make do with the basic loan supplemented by multiple part time jobs.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iainvg)
I can categorically say they don't care and won't make any adjustments, as I was in exactly the same situation when I started uni in 2009. I had to make do with the basic loan supplemented by multiple part time jobs.
I only mentioned it because I just read a thread where someone was claiming to have done exactly that. Its best to try though as then at least she will know she has checked with the correct people and gotten a definitive decision. I wouldnt be interested in whether they care, just them pointing me towards the correct rule that decides how this situation is dealt with.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm so sorry to hear this. The system isn't fair because it assumes that all parents are willing/able to help their kids if they earn x amount and this is definitely not the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads