The Student Room Group

Do people mean the hurtful things they say in an argument?

When you get into an argument with your sister, for example and she says something so harsh about let's say.. what you work as. She doesn't say that when you're in good terms but once there's an arguement, she says a lot. And people say "you don't mean what you say in an argument, you just say things out of anger and don't truly mean it" and some will say "a persons true feelings about you come out in arguments and they mean it very well" What do you think? I'm really starting to think that the second one is more accurate

This is about family or friends not strangers
Reply 1
I think they mean it just because the harsh things I say in an argument I do actually mean lol

But that's just me personally so dont compare someone else to me
Depends sometimes they do, sometimes they don't
Original post by emerald7770
When you get into an argument with your sister, for example and she says something so harsh about let's say.. what you work as. She doesn't say that when you're in good terms but once there's an arguement, she says a lot. And people say "you don't mean what you say in an argument, you just say things out of anger and don't truly mean it" and some will say "a persons true feelings about you come out in arguments and they mean it very well" What do you think? I'm really starting to think that the second one is more accurate

Arguments between families are so dull.

Whether they mean it depends on the person. Hard yo say if hey mean it or not. Whether its accurate should be something you have enough knowledge about yourself to know whether it is true or something they made up to try and get at you. You should know enough about yourself to know if it is true.

Where you are concerned then pay them no notice. Hive it at least 48 hours if you think any of it has any credibility and ask a friend who you trust if it still confuses you. Your best bet is to discount it all as i think you are much more sensitive and anxious than you need to be and this person probably knows that. Learn to let it go over your head.
Original post by emerald7770

I don't think they mean it all.
Some people get frustrated and are mean but even then there is no sure way of telling whether they really did mean it or not. Best way to know this is to observe the behavior after they calm down, if they are over sympathetic and apologetic this means they regret saying whatever they said.

Quick Reply

Latest