Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My summer has been just crazy, going from here to there and so on. Consequently I haven't looked at any of the economics books that Nottingham advised. Am I in deep crap if I start uni without even haven read some economics material. So far I have read a few publications of the economist, some chapters of the wealth of Nations (I doubt that would be of much help) and a 30 minute look at this econometrics book or mathematical economics, by some chinese guy. I know its bad.
    I have so much on offer this summer and I thought it would be 'cooler' if i had started uni with some great memories of the summer and great stories to tell my new mates. Ah well.
    I guess I'll take that mathematical economics book with me on holiday, though I doubt I'll read anything.
    You guys done much?

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually met your offer/ been fully accepted by Nottingham as there is no point in buying the books advised, let alone looking at the material until you have as you may not even end up going there!

Even if you have been fully accepted and you are 100% certain that you r doing the course at Notts this September, Nobody even looks at their book until they get there no matter what course u r doing, so have a good summer and forget about work until you actualy get there!!

ReputationRep:

Enjoy the rest of your summer! There isn't much left and you'll be working your socks off come september.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't do Economics but I'm interested in doing it at SOAS since there's a chance it will become available at Clearing and I really want to go to SOAS. I was thinking of maybe reading a book or two on the subject to prepare for an over-the-phone interview if I don't meet my firm offer but it's way too late now and I'm not even sure if they will have it at Clearing this yea! In the next few days, I'm gonna try and write down some useful things to say and memorise them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the advice of other undergrads/grads here and not worry too much m8. One of my friends has already begun buying and reading books for her course! But that's building up all the stress and it's probably best to start in the new year and pace yourself from there (I'm sure they don't expect us to not have a break during these hols!).

ReputationRep:
    I've not read anything as I have other things to do and I'm sure they'll teach to us what we need to know anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    I've not read anything as I have other things to do and I'm sure they'll teach to us what we need to know anyway.
    Unless people are weak on a-level/higher knowledge critical to their course, and even if that's true, I doubt they're worrying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Unless people are weak on a-level/higher knowledge critical to their course, and even if that's true, I doubt they're worrying...
    I'm on a year off and some of my knowledge is a bit fuzzy but I'm not worrying. Just have to put that slight bit more effort in to learn it all when I'm there - less than 6 weeks now too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    I'm on a year off and some of my knowledge is a bit fuzzy but I'm not worrying. Just have to put that slight bit more effort in to learn it all when I'm there - less than 6 weeks now too
    What're you going to study? And good luck in any case
    I haven't had a year off (am going straight in this year hopefully) but already feel fuzzy! I had a look at a couple of my books not long ago and felt dead in the water , I'll cope I guess :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aren't we supposed to get out reading list after our results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Aren't we supposed to get out reading list after our results.
    I'm not sure what's happening on that front , I assumed we have to speak to our DOS or such persons about that after results day. Some of my m8s have already phoned ahead and requested a list, but I don't think there's any need for that. I assume it'll be fine getting the books up at Uni when we go (minus the rushes )

ReputationRep:
    I don't intend to do any reading until after the 19th. Besides most of us haven't yet recieved our reading lists as Mad Caddie pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't be bothered to do any reading at the moment. I have done a few very brief bits and pieces, but know that if I do anything serious I'll burn out before I get to uni! Maybe try to to d something in the last 2 weeks beofre you go, but til then definitely just enjoy your summer!

ReputationRep:
    i've been looking through my old GCSE work - its nice and easy and makes me feel clever that i know the stuff as for uni i'm gonna leave everything until i get there - no point in wasting the bit of summer we're getting being stuck indoors with you nose in a book!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing Computer Science and I've been learning up on how people hack into computer systems (I want to be a White Hat Hacker - work for the companies not against them) so this should help slightly. But I havn't been doing it because I thought it could help slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the stuff I read will be useful at uni anyway.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list like... more than a month ago... strait afta my exams finished; and it said "we hope that you will read a considerable amount of the material provided" ... they listed 84 books ... haha, I've read about 5 pages...

History is hard to read for me, lest there's a set question or purpose (aim) that I'm goin' for...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.