The Student Room Group

Is a gap year the best option for me?

Hello,so I really want to study History at University and although i'm only in my first year of A levels I am really concerned about my predicted grades so far (currently C's and D's) as I feel as though I can achieve higher grades at the end of my 2 year study. The Universities that I'm looking at are asking for A*s-B so this is where the concern comes in.
I'm thinking of taking a gap year between College and Uni if my predicted grades are still not high enough when it comes to the usual time I should be applying (end of 2017) so I can apply with my actual grades a year later,I'll also get a job so I can start saving up for student life etc. Also,my GSCE's are average and as cliche as it sounds I know that they don't determine me as a student as I didn't really perform to my best ability due to personal reasons at the time (A*BBCCCCC),so I was thinking that if I was to work extremely hard and achieve A*A*A* (bit of a reach I know but who knows haha) in my A Levels would they even look at my GCSE's in my application?
Obviously I'm still going to work hard on my assessments/mock exams but if I was to make this decision quicker I feel as though it would take a lot of pressure off of me if that makes sense...
I know that it's too early to think about this as i have about 7 more months until the usual application process begins but does this sound like the best thing to do? Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by rosiexoxo
Hello,so I really want to study History at University and although i'm only in my first year of A levels I am really concerned about my predicted grades so far (currently C's and D's) as I feel as though I can achieve higher grades at the end of my 2 year study. The Universities that I'm looking at are asking for A*s-B so this is where the concern comes in.
I'm thinking of taking a gap year between College and Uni if my predicted grades are still not high enough when it comes to the usual time I should be applying (end of 2017) so I can apply with my actual grades a year later,I'll also get a job so I can start saving up for student life etc. Also,my GSCE's are average and as cliche as it sounds I know that they don't determine me as a student as I didn't really perform to my best ability due to personal reasons at the time (A*BBCCCCC),so I was thinking that if I was to work extremely hard and achieve A*A*A* (bit of a reach I know but who knows haha) in my A Levels would they even look at my GCSE's in my application?
Obviously I'm still going to work hard on my assessments/mock exams but if I was to make this decision quicker I feel as though it would take a lot of pressure off of me if that makes sense...
I know that it's too early to think about this as i have about 7 more months until the usual application process begins but does this sound like the best thing to do? Thanks :smile:

Hi Rosie,
The jump from GCSE to A-Level can be harder for some people than even A-Level to university, so to get all A* will be a lot of work but not impossible. I’d say when you’re applying to unis, go for a range of grades so that you can have ones to fall back on if the higher grade universities reject your application. When I was applying to universities last year (I’m now at Derby) I went for a range of grades that way you won’t be left wondering if you would have gotten into the high ones on results day but you’ll also have some more easily achievable options. You could also consider looking at the UCAS adjustment service as this will allow you to switch to a course with a higher offer than you thought you’d be able to get. Have a look on the website to get all the details on it: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected
But equally, if you don’t do as well as expected there is clearing where you can see which universities have spare places you can qualify for on results. This comes with less choice about where you go of course, but if you don’t get into your chosen courses it’s not the end of the world.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending