brains dont have nerves? Watch

liverpool2044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i heard on a video the brain doesnt have nerves but the definition of a nerve is a bundle of axons so i dont get how there is none, i understand the fact theres no pain receptors but in terms of nerves can someone shed light on why this is
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The basic units of the brain are neurons and glial cells (which provide structure,amongst other things). A neuron is analogous to a nerve in that neuron-neuron communication is the defining characteristic of brain function.

I think the video is rather misleading.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suspect they are referring to the pain receptors. Obviously there are neurons in the brain.
ash92:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I suspect they are referring to the pain receptors. Obviously there are neurons in the brain.
Most probably, this^ :facepalm2:
AortaStudyMore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liverpool2044)
i heard on a video the brain doesnt have nerves but the definition of a nerve is a bundle of axons so i dont get how there is none, i understand the fact theres no pain receptors but in terms of nerves can someone shed light on why this is
No the video is right, nerves are only found in the peripheral nervous system, they are bundles of axons surrounded by epineureum, perineurium etc etc. In the central nervous system they are knownn as ascending or descending tracts, and are instead surrounded by the meninges (dura mata etc etc). Nerves and neurones are not the same thing, the brain obviously contains lots of neurones, and the cortex is made of the cell bodies and synapses of these neurones (grey matter). Information gets to the brain from ascending tracts and leaves the brain via descending tracts, you also have lots of connecting between other parts of the brain, but they are not nerves. If you've ever dissected a body, then you'll realise that nerves are long yellow spaghetti-like structures in the periphery. So this is why the vagus nerve is called the vagus nerve and why the spinothalamic tract is not called the spinothalamic nerve. Nothing misleading about the video, its terminology is spot on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads