The Student Room Group

When to open a Student Bank Account / when to apply for Student Finance?

I have an unconditional place which I have accepted, when is the best time to apply for Student Finance? Should I apply first, then open a Student Bank Account later in the year or open a Student Bank Account first and then apply when everything has been transferred?
You can't usually open a student bank account until results day in August so do student finance first

It's open now so i guess just do it ASAP =)
Original post by mitchgardner1
I have an unconditional place which I have accepted, when is the best time to apply for Student Finance? Should I apply first, then open a Student Bank Account later in the year or open a Student Bank Account first and then apply when everything has been transferred?

You need a letter from UCAS confirming you have a place and are a student - I think it's called an AS12?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15541-student-bank-accounts

Apply now for Student Finance.- you can add a different account later.
Original post by Muttley79
You need a letter from UCAS confirming you have a place and are a student - I think it's called an AS12?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15541-student-bank-accounts

Apply now for Student Finance.- you can add a different account later.

Thanks, I have got my AS12 on UCAS which is what it says they require. I went into my local Santander branch who said that once I have my AS12 to come in then they would then help me open one. If I apply now, will there be any sort of charge to change my bank details?
Original post by Jackieox
You can't usually open a student bank account until results day in August so do student finance first

It's open now so i guess just do it ASAP =)

Thanks, I went into my local Santander branch who said that they would set one up for me if I have my unconditional place and my AS12 letter which is why I asked the question. But I don't see why I should open up a student account 6 months before I am actually a student!
Original post by mitchgardner1
Thanks, I have got my AS12 on UCAS which is what it says they require. I went into my local Santander branch who said that once I have my AS12 to come in then they would then help me open one. If I apply now, will there be any sort of charge to change my bank details?

No, there's no charge you just update. Please don't wait to apply for Student Finance it takes ages to process the application.
Original post by Muttley79
No, there's no charge you just update. Please don't wait to apply for Student Finance it takes ages to process the application.

I'll get onto it now if I can change it with no fuss, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending