The Student Room Group

Help with the respiratory system? Access course

how the tissue structures of the Respiratory systems major organs are adapted to support their function? I'm at a loss to this question? Can anyone give me some ideas to take me out the black hole i'm in please.....
Original post by riyazk
how the tissue structures of the Respiratory systems major organs are adapted to support their function? I'm at a loss to this question? Can anyone give me some ideas to take me out the black hole i'm in please.....

Which organs do you have to discus? Just the heart and lungs?
Reply 2
i would imagine that these are the major organs in the respiratory system; lungs, trachea, bronchi and diaphragm
Original post by riyazk
i would imagine that these are the major organs in the respiratory system; lungs, trachea, bronchi and diaphragm

Yes, they're good ones.

So the key to answering the question is to take each of those examples and consider its function. What does it have to do? And then, consider how the structure of these organisms are so well adapted to their function. As you're so stuck, I'll start you off with an example.

The lungs. What do they have to do? Efficient gaseous exchange. How are they adapted to this:

conducting vessels such as trachea, bronchi and bronchioles which allow air to enter the lung and allow gaseous exchange to occur (NB: what process causes air to enter the lungs?). Trachea and major bronchi have cartilage to prevent the airways collapsing (again structure which allows for function).

On to the actual gaseous exchange - what is required? Efficiency? Volume? How is this achieved....*

Does this help give you the idea of what is required. How, for instance, would you go on to answer the next bit which I've marked with an *?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending