The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Dumfries: jobs and accommodation

Hi there!

I applied to a PhD program in Glasgow. However, the seat of the course is in Dumfries and I need to know more about this place. I'm a EU student.

1) I don't know if I win a scholarship. Anyway, I'd need to find a little extra-job while being there. Is it easy or really difficult to find something in Dumfries?

2) Since I'd like to move with my partner, he'll need to find a proper job there. Are there any opportunities or is it better to opt for a bigger town / city?

3) I've checked some real estate agencies in Dumfries and all the flats or cottages look kinda 'old'. Are there any not-so-old private accommodations in town? I have also looked for nearby towns, but I think that staying in Glasgow and travelling to Dumfries is to study is not an option...

Any advice from someone who's there?

Thank you so much!
Hey,
i am Leonie, an undergrad student here in Dumfries in my first year. I hope I can help you to find answers:

1) there is a very high demand in carers in the local hospital which is just next to campus, but also loads of retail shops and big stores like Tesco, Morrisons , Lidl, Aldi usually offer jobs on a frequent base.

2.) It really depend on what your partner is doing. But I have friends that live just halfway between glasgow and Dumfries, She commutes to uni verey day, and her partner works in Glasgow and commutes aswell. So that is an option, the trains are fairly okay, but obviously not until late at night. Bear that in mind if you want to go out late or so and have no car. Bigger towns nearby is Carlisle in negland (half an hour by train), Glasgow, edinburgh, Ayr.

3.) Hm its probaly best to call a local real estate agent, or just drp by in Dumfries if you can. Here , connections are better than online resources. The houses are all kind of old-ish, but sureley you will find soemthing. And maybe its easier to find somehting once you are here. The other pHd students that I know live in Laurieknow Halls of residence, and in private accomodation (but old house again).
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/residenceprofiles/laurieknowehall/#d.en.253123

I hope I could help you a little bit.

Cheers
Leonie
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by AnaKWildness
Hi there!

I applied to a PhD program in Glasgow. However, the seat of the course is in Dumfries and I need to know more about this place. I'm a EU student.

1) I don't know if I win a scholarship. Anyway, I'd need to find a little extra-job while being there. Is it easy or really difficult to find something in Dumfries?

2) Since I'd like to move with my partner, he'll need to find a proper job there. Are there any opportunities or is it better to opt for a bigger town / city?

3) I've checked some real estate agencies in Dumfries and all the flats or cottages look kinda 'old'. Are there any not-so-old private accommodations in town? I have also looked for nearby towns, but I think that staying in Glasgow and travelling to Dumfries is to study is not an option...

Any advice from someone who's there?

Thank you so much!

If you call this accommodation is of very high quality 3E274709-7345-40E6-BD40-2F3C90FD3EB6.jpeg

phone number 07403922944

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending