The Student Room Group

Government thinks mentally ill shouldn't get disability benefit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
It can be put even more simple than you said it.

When most people say they are depressed they mean sad

When most people say they have anxiety they are nervous.

People cheapen many mental health terms by using their title when they are most often experiencing a lesser emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I was most people until I went to a doctor. People saying things like this cheapen mental health problems in that it means I am always second guessing myself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Any particular evidence for that claim that humans in the ancestral environment didn't get depressed? Seems pretty hard to disprove, and my hunch is that they were similar enough to us that they also got depressed.

Well if it effected them enough they would have just died. Nature is horrible.

Cavemen didn't lead massively alienating lives though and lived in a way they were more or less evolved to. So whilst they was probably a lot to be stressed about, there would be none of this modern life style induced depression probably. Being stalked by a tiger is not nice, but you don't exactly get time to be depressed when your body is pumped full of adrenaline getting ready to fight or run away. Meanwhile I am spending this sunny day sat at my desk just miserable not getting anyway with some coursework I don't care about and hate doing, typing on my keyboard gives me nothing other than a complete lack of feeling. But I can't do anything else until I get this done and I can;t seem to get it done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39097019

The Government is proposing changes to the rules on who can claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP), a benefit paid to disabled people. George Freeman, a Tory MP and head of Theresa May's policy unit, said PIP payments should go to "really disabled people" as opposed to people "taking pills at home, who suffer from anxiety".

So much for parity of esteem, another promise broken by Theresa May. :mad::rolleyes:

What do you think? Should PIP be paid to people with mental health problems?

The presumption you made is false. The government do want to give PIP and ESA to people with mental health difficulties but not those with mild to moderate depression and anxiety who are still able to work and waste the money on clothes and nights out.
Original post by Wibble199p
The presumption you made is false. The government do want to give PIP and ESA to people with mental health difficulties but not those with mild to moderate depression and anxiety who are still able to work and waste the money on clothes and nights out.

Happily the High Court took a different view and forced the Government's hand.
Original post by Snufkin
Happily the High Court took a different view and forced the Government's hand.

Indeed and who trusts the assessors/decision makers to be a good judge of who has a condition that truly effects the ability to work.
Original post by MPTCstudent
Coming from someone with depression, anxiety, bad luck, every time I set my heart on something it ends up in heartbreak and I have suicidal thoughts but do you see me sitting around doing f**k all? No. Even though I have nothing going for me, no friends, no qualifications, no boyfriend, no car, no job, I live with parents, I'm 18 and a complete f**k up and had my heart set on joining the Royal Navy but might never get the chance to join because of my sh*tty mental health, am I gunna sit around and cry like a b*tch and complain my life is horrible? No.

Stop whining and grow a pair of balls, people physically cannot leave the house and you'll cry about being too scared? Do something about it.

Ah right so the depressed are lazy and the anxious just a have a little fear they should get over 👍 ok 😂
Did I say that? No. I clearly stated I've been there, I am there now but sitting around doing nothing does nothing for you. I would rather sleep all day and ever day if I could but in the real world I can't. The government needs to push us all to get out, get jobs, go to college or whatever, giving benefits to people like us encourages us to stay in and become worse.

Things aren't that easy.
You saw my thread, I know things aren't easy but you wouldn't catch me complaining all the time

Sorry but your comment is ridiculous, let’s chuck them all off benefits because staying in doesn’t make them any better.

How about treat the illness/behavioural condition.
You're pathetic.

Oh yes I am pathetic for thinking people with disabilities should receive benefits and medical treatment.
I don't receive any, I just get on with it because I have no choice, that's the real world. I can't just sit around doing f**k all.

Yea and you aren’t the only one with a mental illness, the same conditions affect people in different ways.

You’re also 18 with different levels of responsibilities and commitments than someone twice your age.
That doesn’t make it easier either
You're a lazy b*tch that's why, I hate weak people. Also the fact that I have 3 disabled people in my family who physically cannot do anything but because of people like you taking benefits for mental health issues they can't get anything.

Hilarious.

People with conditions that research still doesn’t fully understand the cause or treatment there of these conditions are just lazy and weak.

If you read this back in 20 years you would be embarrassed.
It's thought that many people have things like anxiety but don't go and get it diagnosed so alot of people are already not receiving Pip.
Original post by paul514
Hilarious.

People with conditions that research still doesn’t fully understand the cause or treatment there of these conditions are just lazy and weak.

They are banned now and their posts removed, so it would be a good idea if you edit your posts and remove the quotes too. :smile:
Original post by paul514
Hilarious.

Want to rep you, but it won't let me. PSROM.
Shout out to the TSR staff who deleted my posts on here when I wasn't breaking rules! :lol:
Original post by Snufkin
They are banned now and their posts removed, so it would be a good idea if you edit your posts and remove the quotes too. :smile:

I’m not sure banning them will teach them anything people like that need educating.
Original post by therandomperson
It's thought that many people have things like anxiety but don't go and get it diagnosed so alot of people are already not receiving Pip.

Yea 1 in 4 will receive treatment for a condition in their lifetime and it’s thought up to half at some point could do with treatment for one kind of condition.
Original post by Snufkin

Also they keep coming back. As I'm sure you know.
Original post by Pathway
Also they keep coming back. As I'm sure you know.

Yep, but I don't look after this forum (I'm a Universities Section ST) so can't do much about it - if you see them, or someone you think is them, report it ASAP. :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
Yep, but I don't look after this forum (I'm a Universities Section ST) so can't do much about it - if you see them, or someone you think is them, report it ASAP. :smile:

Yeah, but like, as Paul says, they need to be educated.

But eh, it's whatever. Am glad they've gone for now, but like they still will come back.

------

Back to the point of the thread, if people are functionally impaired by something they suffer with and they're functionally impaired long term, then they need help. Doesn't matter if it's a mental health issue or physical health one. Don't get why people find that so hard to understand.

I've got both physical and mental health issues, and despite my physical disabilities impairing me greatly, I'm more disabled by my MH issues. But that's just me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending