I'm 16 and UK CAT is stressing me out

Watch
DYoverDX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I always said that, regardless how lonely and socially awkward I am, I'd have my education and one day, it will work out.
Then I heard about the UK CAT, which looks like an IQ test. I bought an IQ and did it and got 90. I feel so stupid. How will I be a doctor if I can't even do a stupid IQ test properly? I hear that your IQ is fixed and you can never change.
I'm so depressed because I feel as if I'm worthless and all those times I spent,alone, at home, wasting my life revising was for nothing.
How can I develop a logical way of thinking? How can I have a higher IQ? Do I need a high Iq? What does it even mean?
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
Those shape sequences make me feel like an idiot. How do I do them? How will I do my UK CAT? Please help.
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Ukcat isnt as bad as you think. You can prepare for it. Its all about practice. Im my first attempt without practice i got 593 which is below average but after practice in the real UKCAT i got 740. Its all about timing. Nail this and you will succeed in the UKCAT. I did mine at the end of Yr 12 in the summer which is the ideal time to do it. Do not panic, you have a lot of time. I think 2 hours a day of solid practice for 2-3 weeks is more than enough. I only used Medify and this helped me a lot.
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
(Original post by SargentZenj2)
The Ukcat isnt as bad as you think. You can prepare for it. Its all about practice. Im my first attempt without practice i got 593 which is below average but after practice in the real UKCAT i got 740. Its all about timing. Nail this and you will succeed in the UKCAT. I did mine at the end of Yr 12 in the summer which is the ideal time to do it. Do not panic, you have a lot of time. I think 2 hours a day of solid practice for 2-3 weeks is more than enough. I only used Medify and this helped me a lot.
Thank you. So does this prove that these skills can be developed?
I feel like an idiot when I hear stories of 10 year olds getting degrees because they're so clever. Can I develop my brain in such a way?
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
It's as if all the time I spent alone wasn't worth it. I practically had no childhood and I'm still forced to stay at home and revise. My life feels pointless.
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DYoverDX)
Thank you. So does this prove that these skills can be developed?
I feel like an idiot when I hear stories of 10 year olds getting degrees because they're so clever. Can I develop my brain in such a way?
Absolutely, the more you practice the more you start to see patterns. For the shape recognition section I made a list of all the hardest patterns and I noticed some of them cropped up multiple times.
Dont compare yourself to others. Perform to the best of your ability and you will be pleased with the progress you make
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
Absolutely, the more you practice the more you start to see patterns. For the shape recognition section I made a list of all the hardest patterns and I noticed some of them cropped up multiple times.
Dont compare yourself to others. Perform to the best of your ability and you will be pleased with the progress you make
So the million dollar question; did you actually develop the inductive reasoning thing or did you just learn what type of questions they give you?
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's as if all the time I spent alone wasn't worth it. I practically had no childhood and I'm still forced to stay at home and revise. My life feels pointless.
I get what you mean, I have muslim parents. Trust me it will pay off in the end. When you get your result you will know what i mean
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So the million dollar question; did you actually develop the inductive reasoning thing or did you just learn what type of questions they give you?
Both really, I improved( in the maths section i went from 620/900 before practice and in the real UKCAT i got 900/900). Also you must know the order and style of questions they give you. Both come with an excess of questions. It is worth it, a strong UKCAT will make you stand out a lot
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
I get what you mean, I have muslim parents. Trust me it will pay off in the end. When you get your result you will know what i mean
You really think so?

Both really, I improved( in the maths section i went from 620/900 before practice and in the real UKCAT i got 900/900. Also you must know the order and style of questions they give you. Both come with an excess of questions. It is worth it, a strong UKCAT will make you stand out a lot
What?! Seriously? Well done!
So how can I get something like that?
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
Do you think if I start after my GCSEs?
(Whilst I revise for my AS levels.)
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You really think so?

What?! Seriously? Well done!
So how can I get something like that?
Yeah, I had all the same questions as you and i regret even stressing out because the real thing is always better than you make it out to be.

Firstly, dont stress. This test is well into the future and you will have developed some skills subconsciously. I think if you practice using good resources such as medify for 2-3 weeks you will ace this test. I dont recommend using books because the the test is on a computer and medify will allow you to emulate this. Medify also helps with timing and has good explanations behind the solutions.

Its not the end of the world. Even if something does go wrong you always have the BMAT ( I doubt you will perform badly). Most people underperform either due to lack of practice(because they think this is an IQ test so they think you cant prepare) or due to stressing too much.

Practice, practice, practice is my advice I cant stress this enough.
Also dont doubt yourself. You may not even know what your capable of and doubting yourself will only limit this.

Have the 'I will do well' attitude not the 'I might do well' attitude
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you think if I start after my GCSEs?
(Whilst I revise for my AS levels.)
Dont start until right after your AS exams. 2-3 weeks is enough. Dont sacrifice your AS levels because of overpreparation of the UKCAT. Remember both are important
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Assuming this isn't a troll thread...you need to chill. No one spends years preparing for the UKCAT, that's a bit crazy.

If you feel like you've missed out on your childhood, missing out on your teenage years won't make you feel better. Go and find something else to do (something non-exam related).
DYoverDX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Assuming this isn't a troll thread...you need to chill. No one spends years preparing for the UKCAT, that's a bit crazy.

If you feel like you've missed out on your childhood, missing out on your teenage years won't make you feel better. Go and find something else to do (something non-exam related).
Like what?
I know it sounds crazy. But I REALLY want to get into Oxbridge like almost everyone who joins this forum. But how many people get accepted? Its really competitive.
All I want to do is develop my I intelligence to the extent which surpasses my "said" potential.
I wanna prove people wrong.
Now is this possible? What I'm saying is are some people born with a high IQ and can this be changed?
Med3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like what?
I know it sounds crazy. But I REALLY want to get into Oxbridge like almost everyone who joins this forum. But how many people get accepted? Its really competitive.
All I want to do is develop my I intelligence to the extent which surpasses my "said" potential.
Now is this possible? What I'm saying is are some people born with a high IQ and can this be changed?
Find a hobby, extra curriculars are some of the things they look for. I only got 9A's and a C grade at GCSE and I got 3 medicine interviews. To be a good competitor you have to be well rounded so not just grades. You dont need to be that intelligent to pass exams. Also find out more about the NHS and medicine and try to uncover why you desperately want to do medicine because they will want to know and if you arent genuine enough then you wont get in. Some people are more intelligent than others but this isnt somethnig you should be concerned about at all.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like what?
Like anything. Literally anything is a better use of your time than preparing for the UKCAT two years in advance - reading the paper, joining a golf club, picking your nose, whatever.

Med school applications have to be specifically planned - you can't decide years in advance that you want to apply somewhere on principle when you don't know what your stats will look like. So it's a bit pointless to start idealising any particular medical school in year 11 because you simply can't predict what their entry requirements will be like in two years or if you'll fit them.

I'll re-iterate this as I think it's quite important: I think you should take a break and develop some non-exam, non-uni application related interests.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like what?
Oxbridge don't look at the UKCAT.

Forget about the UKCAT until the summer of Year 12, it only needs a month max doing a few hours each day. Also get medify, it's the best resource out there despite it's high cost.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Oxbridge don't even use the UKCAT

I agree with Democracy's post above, however.
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dude you're super early for this stuff. Focus on your GCSEs. Then your AS levels. Then UKCAT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.89%
I'm not sure (32)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.29%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (327)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise