username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I have to identify functional
groups in compound: (CH3CH2CO)2O and CH3COH(CH3)2
I think the first one is a ketone but not sure about the second (maybe an alcohol?)
Could someone please write them out, or help me to as I'm a bit clueless. Organic chemistry

CA edit: Moved to Chemistry
Cave Felem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by slowdive)
I think the first one is a ketone but not sure about the second (maybe an alcohol?)
Could someone please write them out, or help me to as I'm a bit clueless. Organic chemistry
How do you want us to write them out? I can tell you what they are and you can look them up but I'd struggle to draw them.
username1753569
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cave Felem)
How do you want us to write them out? I can tell you what they are and you can look them up but I'd struggle to draw them.
If you could tell me what they are I'll research them so I can understand. Thank you!!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you could tell me what they are I'll research them so I can understand. Thank you!!!
Do you know what the functional group of a ketone is, and what an alcohol is? i.e., how would you write the ketone functional group?
username1753569
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Do you know what the functional group of a ketone is, and what an alcohol is? i.e., how would you write the ketone functional group?
Yeah, ketone is CCOC and alcohol OH.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, ketone is CCOC and alcohol OH.
Exactly. And which of those groups can be found in the compounds you've got to identify?
username1753569
Rep:
?
Exactly. And which of those groups can be found in the compounds you've got to identify?
None haha. Does compound 1 only have an alkyl, whilst compound 2.... hm maybe an aldehyde but I thought you only write that CHO not COH?
tamoni4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The first one is an acid anhydride.
Cave Felem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CH3CH2CO)2O is propanoic anhydride and CH3COH(CH3)2 is methylpropan-2-ol. Hope this helps!
tamoni4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The second one is a tertiary alcohol.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None haha. Does compound 1 only have an alkyl, whilst compound 2.... hm maybe an aldehyde but I thought you only write that CHO not COH?
You're definitely on the right lines there .

If you look at your second compound, try writing out the structure of it from the information you have: essentially translate it from left to right.

In CH3COH(CH3)2 You've got the following, from left to right:

A CH3
A C, with an OH and 2 CH3

Does the functional group become more obvious in this structure?
username1753569
Rep:
?
You're definitely on the right lines there .

If you look at your second compound, try writing out the structure of it from the information you have: essentially translate it from left to right.

In CH3COH(CH3)2 You've got the following, from left to right:

A CH3
A C, with an OH and 2 CH3

Does the functional group become more obvious in this structure?
Yes, that's done it! Thank you for your help. The first compound, I can't even remember learning about anhydrides, oh chemistry
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, that's done it! Thank you for your help. The first compound, I can't even remember learning about anhydrides, oh chemistry
You're welcome, and well done It can be a bit of a nightmare, I know, but the trick is working through it systematically like you have just done to arrive at the answer. The more you see these structures, the more you start to categorise them and recognise them as 'acid anhydride', 'carboxylic acid', 'aldehyde' etc.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Draw them.
kirara2807
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not a ketone as a ketone has a C=O bond. Whereas the compound in the first one shows a ..... - C = O \ O /.... - C = OThis is an anhydride.. but I'm not sure what the functional group is.... Is the functional group just 'acid anhydride' or something else entirely?
alow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kirara2807)
It's not a ketone as a ketone has a C=O bond. Whereas the compound in the first one shows a ..... - C = O \ O /.... - C = OThis is an anhydride.. but I'm not sure what the functional group is.... Is the functional group just 'acid anhydride' or something else entirely?
Keep digging.
jadder1224
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

CA edit: Moved to Chemistry
Hi there!
Probably a bit late but here are the structures (I think)
Name:  P_20170901_152056_1.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  501.7 KB
alow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jadder1224)
Hi there!
Probably a bit late but here are the structures (I think)
Don't post full solutions. It doesn't help anyone.
jadder1224
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Don't post full solutions. It doesn't help anyone.
oh right, that makes sense, I'll not do that in the future.
Artemis06
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jadder1224)
oh right, that makes sense, I'll not do that in the future.
Hey I know this is from ages ago but I just wanted to say that what you did really helped me!!
So I don't think posting the full solutions is always a bad thing, since in this case especially, it helped me visualise the structure of the compounds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
31.91%
No (32)
68.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise