The Student Room Group

Predictions for AQA 2017 AS paper

Anyone have any thoughts on what may appear on the 2017 May AQA unit 1 and 2 papers (AS)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im an as student too, Law- making procedure comes up every year, learn that. What topics are you planning to do ?
UNIT ONE
•Parliamentary law making
•Delegated legislation
•Statutory interpretation
•The civil courts and other forms of dispute resolution
•The criminal courts and lay people

UNIT TWO
•Underlying principles of criminal liability
•Non-fatal offences
•The criminal courts: procedure and sentencing
•Liability in negligence
•The courts: procedure and damages for negligence cases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by rebeccael28
UNIT ONE
•Delegated legislation

UNIT TWO
•Non-fatal offences
•Liability in negligence

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm teaching myself this course so I've had no teacher help, can I ask why you're only learning certain topics?? I feel so unprepared for these exams omg
Original post by chloec16
I'm teaching myself this course so I've had no teacher help, can I ask why you're only learning certain topics?? I feel so unprepared for these exams omg

Really!! Which topics are you doing? And in the exam for Unit 1 there's 9 topics you only answer 3 of them and then Unit 2 you answer all of section A and B or A and C

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Really!! Which topics are you doing? And in the exam for Unit 1 there's 9 topics you only answer 3 of them and then Unit 2 you answer all of section A and B or A and C

Posted from TSR Mobile

It all seems a bit more complicated now! Basically I've learned them all because I didn't know to focus on 3 of them, so hopefully I'll at least be prepared for whatever comes up! Thank you!
Original post by chloec16
It all seems a bit more complicated now! Basically I've learned them all because I didn't know to focus on 3 of them, so hopefully I'll at least be prepared for whatever comes up! Thank you!

Have you done the same for Unit 2?

Why've you been teaching yourself it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Have you done the same for Unit 2?

Why've you been teaching yourself it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have, i knew i only had to answer some questions but didn't think to focus on certain ones I suppose! didnt have a teacher to tell me hahaha. My school doesn't offer it but im doing a law degree in september so wanted to just learn more about it really, so doing distance learning
UNIT ONE
•Delegated legislation

UNIT TWO
•Non-fatal offences
•Liability in negligence

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for Unit 1, me and a couple of people went and did some rooting round through the previous AQA mark schemes and in terms of predictions I can provide some for Parliamentary Law Making, Delegated Legislation and Criminal Courts and Lay People. If these subjects are relevant to anyone and would like these predictions please reply xD
Original post by DoctorDan
So for Unit 1, me and a couple of people went and did some rooting round through the previous AQA mark schemes and in terms of predictions I can provide some for Parliamentary Law Making, Delegated Legislation and Criminal Courts and Lay People. If these subjects are relevant to anyone and would like these predictions please reply xD

Parliamentary law making & delegated legislation please!! My exam starts in 3 days and I need to cram in so much revisions
Original post by rdlewiss
Parliamentary law making & delegated legislation please!! My exam starts in 3 days and I need to cram in so much revisions

SAME! Here are my thoughts so I hope these help!

Parliamentary law making:

Question 1 Could be law-making process for the first question in this topic. The question hasn’t been on since 2014. Last year’s question gave students the choice between discussing influences on Parliament. So it’s unlikely that will come as question one this year but you never know!

Question 2 Could be a question on influences this year in terms of the second question on this topic. The law-making process has been the second question on this topic twice for both the 2015 and 2016 paper.

Question 3 Always going to be and advantages/disadvantages question no doubt about that. The 2016 paper covered disadvantages of law making so I predict a question which will ask us to discuss both advantages and disadvantages. Or we could get a question focusing on advantages since that hasn’t been on the paper since 2012.

Delegated Legislation:

Question 1 Always going to be a question on types of delegated legislation. Last year the first question allowed students to discuss any two forms of delegated legislation so our question this year could be on two forms of delegated legislation. There has never been a question on one specific form of delegated legislation.

Question 2 Most likely going to be a question on parliamentary & judicial controls. A question which focused on Parliamentary controls was asked in last year’s paper. Ever since the June 2012 paper, AQA have mostly been switching between parliamentary and judicial controls on a yearly basis which leads me to believe we will get a question on judicial controls this time round.

Question 3 Between 2014 and 2016 AQA have switched between advantages and disadvantages and reasons for delegated legislation. Last year AQA asked about both advantages and disadvantages of delegated legislation so this year’s question could be focused on either advantages and disadvantages separately or why Parliament delegates law-making power. Reasons for delegated legislation were seen in the 2015 and 2012 paper.
~�
SAME! Here are my thoughts so I hope these help!

Parliamentary law making:

Question 1 Could be law-making process for the first question in this topic. The question hasn’t been on since 2014. Last year’s question gave students the choice between discussing influences on Parliament. So it’s unlikely that will come as question one this year but you never know!

Question 2 Could be a question on influences this year in terms of the second question on this topic. The law-making process has been the second question on this topic twice for both the 2015 and 2016 paper.

Question 3 Always going to be and advantages/disadvantages question no doubt about that. The 2016 paper covered disadvantages of law making so I predict a question which will ask us to discuss both advantages and disadvantages. Or we could get a question focusing on advantages since that hasn’t been on the paper since 2012.

Delegated Legislation:

Question 1 Always going to be a question on types of delegated legislation. Last year the first question allowed students to discuss any two forms of delegated legislation so our question this year could be on two forms of delegated legislation. There has never been a question on one specific form of delegated legislation.

Question 2 Most likely going to be a question on parliamentary & judicial controls. A question which focused on Parliamentary controls was asked in last year’s paper. Ever since the June 2012 paper, AQA have mostly been switching between parliamentary and judicial controls on a yearly basis which leads me to believe we will get a question on judicial controls this time round.

Question 3 Between 2014 and 2016 AQA have switched between advantages and disadvantages and reasons for delegated legislation. Last year AQA asked about both advantages and disadvantages of delegated legislation so this year’s question could be focused on either advantages and disadvantages separately or why Parliament delegates law-making power. Reasons for delegated legislation were seen in the 2015 and 2012 paper.
~�

WOW Thank you so much!! This is so helpful. I don't suppose you have predictions for the legal profession?

But anyway thanks again, good luck in your exam!! :smile:
WOW Thank you so much!! This is so helpful. I don't suppose you have predictions for the legal profession?

But anyway thanks again, good luck in your exam!! :smile:

Sadly I don't ! I'm currently in the middle of predictions for unit 2 so if you want any of those I'm happy to share as soon as possible! Thanks! I hope the best for you in your exam as well!
Sadly I don't ! I'm currently in the middle of predictions for unit 2 so if you want any of those I'm happy to share as soon as possible! Thanks! I hope the best for you in your exam as well!

Yes I would love the unit 2 ones when you're finished, thanks!
Yes I would love the unit 2 ones when you're finished, thanks!

What sections do you study for unit 2?
What sections do you study for unit 2?

Criminal law & Tort law :smile:
Does anyone know how I would answer a question about the law making process in parliament. I know how to do each house but how do I combine both?
hey
do you know any predictions for statutory interpretation and magistrates/jury
thank you xx
Does anyone know how I would answer a question about the law making process in parliament. I know how to do each house but how do I combine both?

You can start by describing the process in the House of Commons and then just say it goes through the same process in the House of Lords and then mention how it can either be bounced back to the HoC or go to royal assent. you can then also say that the HoC can ignore the HoL rejection and send the bill for royal assent anyway.
Original post by Achase2000
You can start by describing the process in the House of Commons and then just say it goes through the same process in the House of Lords and then mention how it can either be bounced back to the HoC or go to royal assent. you can then also say that the HoC can ignore the HoL rejection and send the bill for royal assent anyway.

Is the parliamentary process just asking you for the process of a bill e.g. 1st reading and so on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply