This discussion is closed.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Tattoos and Piercings Bill 2017, TSR Government

Tattoos and Piercings Bill 2017

An Act introducing a “scores on the doors” hygiene rating scheme for premises providing tattoos and piercings, as well as banning walk-in service.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions
For the purposes of this bill:–
(1) “Establishment” refers to any premises licensed to provide a tattooing service or cosmetic body piercings.
(2) “Licensing authority” refers to any local authority with the responsibility for licensing tattoo and piercings parlours.

2: Inspections
(1) All establishments must be inspected by the licensing authority before being granted a licence.
(2) Establishments must be inspected annually by the licensing authority.
(3) The licensing authority must investigate if concerns are brought to it by any member of the public about standards of hygiene or practice in any establishment.

3: Rating Scheme
(1) The licensing authority will use a star rating system to indicate standards of overall hygiene and practice within establishments.
(2) The rating scheme will use standard descriptors and categories defined by the Secretary of State.
(3) Establishments will be graded with either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars.

4: Customer Information and Display of Ratings
(1) The licensing authority will issue each establishment feedback after each inspection and a door sticker which displays their star rating.
(2) Establishments must:
a. Display their door sticker prominently on their door or on a window near to the door.
b. Display only the door sticker they have most recently been issued.
c. Not knowingly mislead the public about their star rating.
(3) Employees of establishments must:
a. Inform any customer or member of the public on the premises of the establishment’s star rating when requested to do so.
b. Not knowingly provide an incorrect or misleading star rating when requested to provide one.
(4) Owners and operators of establishments must inform employees of the establishment’s star rating in order to allow them to fulfil point (3).
(5) Breach of points (2), (3) and (4) are punishable by a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

5: Appointments
(1) No customer may receive a tattoo or cosmetic body piercing without having made an appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
(2) An establishment in breach of this section may be liable to:
a. A fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
b. Paying the cost of laser tattoo removal.

6: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st of January 2018.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Tattoos and Piercings Act 2017.

Notes
This bill looks to address a couple of issues relating to tattoos and piercings.

First of all is the introduction of a mandatory “scores on the doors” rating system, as we have established for food-serving establishments in England and as exists in real life in Wales already for food-serving establishments (and likely soon tattoo parlours). The sanctions given are those currently in force for food hygiene ratings in Wales.

Secondly there is a ban on tattoos or piercings on a whim. This is primarily targeted at people who get tattoos or piercings drunk in in a similar situation and aims to avoid regret and encourage people to think more carefully about the decision.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, adam9317, care to tell us who wrote this?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
I did.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All you have to do is know students to know a better way of stopping such things on a whim would be to make it illegal to serve somebody under the influence

(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
Not for Adam to say, nor would Adam likely know without invading the government sub
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I did.
Thanks and a very good idea, I was prompting adam to add the party to the bill as it wasn't there.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
All you have to do is know students to know a better way of stopping such things on a whim would be to make it illegal to serve somebody under the influence

Not for Adam to say, nor would Adam likely know without invading the government sub
I didn't mean exact person but party as he'd forgotten it!!!
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye; I particularly like the 'scores on the doors' system as some tattoo artists can be dodgy as hell.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I consider this to be a valuable and useful reform on an easily overlooked issue - the sooner we pass it through Parliament the better.
PandaSal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The banning of getting tattoos while drunk is irksome, I'd nay this on that alone. If I were to go out on the lash, get absolutely para, I deserve the tattoo I ask for. Nay to this bill, nay to nanny.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PandaSal)
The banning of getting tattoos while drunk is irksome, I'd nay this on that alone. If I were to go out on the lash, get absolutely para, I deserve the tattoo I ask for. Nay to this bill, nay to nanny.
Well, you can always go back for it the next day
PandaSal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Well, you can always go back for it the next day
Knowing me, I'd have forgotten the second I pass out but as a man of my word, if I remember I'll go back and get the tattoo of the fairy.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another sensible reform from the Government - Aye from me.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. I like scores on the doors and I'm completely behind it, but I don't think walk-ins should be banned. Around particular times of year, flash days make a lot of money for the artist. It'd also cause trouble for tattoo conventions, which are very popular and encourage artists to travel the world (meaning we get some really spectacular foreign artists), as a lot are done on a walk-up basis. The actual problem is people tattooing those who are under the influence. This is an actual issue to health, whereas walk-ins are not. Most piercings are done on a walk-in basis. Not because people randomly decide they want them, but because for such a short procedure it's so much easier for both the piercer and the person being pierced to just come in when it's convenient. I've had all of my piercings done on a walk-in basis and not one of them was on a whim, which goes for most people.

Also, it seems that the nature of the business has been forgotten. A lot of the time people don't show up for their tattoo appointments, unfortunately. The artist can then offer the appointment to anyone, which is often the same day. The same goes for cancellations the night before. If someone were to take this appointment, even if they'd planned out this tattoo for months, they wouldn't be able to get it and the artist would lose out on the money.

This just seems really unfair to tattoo artists. I don't think the Government should be putting such a restriction on so many small businesses, where it will lose them money. Some operate mostly on a walk-in basis. It'd be really sad to lose studios because of a silly rule. Definite nay.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We should be ensuring that tattoo and piercing establishments check the ID of customers to ensure they are over 18.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
We should be ensuring that tattoo and piercing establishments check the ID of customers to ensure they are over 18.
You don't have to be 18 to get sone piercings you know.

Also abstain. I raised issue with the 24 hour wait, and comments here simply reinforce my view it will have a purely negative effect.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Aye; I particularly like the 'scores on the doors' system as some tattoo artists can be dodgy as hell.
I am very surprised a libertarian such as yourself would have no qualms with this bill.
I am very much for the scores but am against the banning of walk in procedures. Surely as Jammy said you could simply make it illegal to get a tattoo while drunk/make it illegal to serve one who is drunk?
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
aye
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
I am very surprised a libertarian such as yourself would have no qualms with this bill.
I am very much for the scores but am against the banning of walk in procedures. Surely as Jammy said you could simply make it illegal to get a tattoo while drunk/make it illegal to serve one who is drunk?
The Bill's certainly not perfect, but my support of the scores outweighs my opposition to banning walk in procedures, hence the aye.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads