The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

With the reputation of Middlesbrough, how is the University and surrounding areas?

Hello there! I am coming to Teesside this September and I am just wondering what the University grounds and surrounding area's are like. Considering the reputation of Middlesbrough, I do have some worries.

It seems to me that the University is located within its own little bubble and doesn't have too many interactions with the locals.
Well firstly, it's so cheap to live there! I miss the prices so much, I remember when I used to think £2.80 for spirit and mixer was expensive and then I moved to the midlands :')
People do give it a worse rep than what it deserves. Admittedly, the area of town around the uni is pretty bad and there's a lot of derelict/empty housing, but it's a town centre so it's to be expected really. There's some really nice areas round and about if you're willing to go a little further affield. Saltburn is this little town by the sea and it costs like £6 with a railcard to get there, that's always a nice day out. Then there's trains to York, Newcastle and Whitby all for about £12 return.
It's also a really good town for up and coming businesses if you know where to look! Baker street and Bedford street are lovely, they have things like microbreweries, vintage shops, restaurants, an aaaaaamaaazing burrito place and stuff like that. It's a bit pricier than the rest of the town centre but if you want something a bit different it's well worth it.
I'd say live in halls for the first year to make friends and stuff and then if you hate the town centre you can move out a bit. I think there's a fair bit of student housing in Linthorpe and maybe Ormesby (don't live in North Ormesby though!) and they're both nice parts of town that are still quite close to the centre.
As for being in a bubble most unis seem to be like that, it's both a blessing and a curse :tongue:
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by BonBons123
Hello there! I am coming to Teesside this September and I am just wondering what the University grounds and surrounding areas are like. Considering the reputation of Middlesbrough, I do have some worries.

It seems to me that the University is located within its own little bubble and doesn't have too many interactions with the locals.

Hello

Lovely to hear that you're joining us in September. We :suith: it here and we hope you will too!

Like lots of universities, there's a strong student community at Teesside. As a student you're likely to make lots of new friends and get very involved in student activities and social events... you're likely to bond with those you live and study with as you share so many new experiences and go through so much together... wherever you're a student this often means that you feel like you're in a big university bubble (and this is often a brilliant bubble to be in :biggrin:).... but at Teesside we also encourage you to get out into the local area, explore the great sights of the region, take work experience opportunities and get to know the communities around you :smile:.

We get on very well with our neighbours, lots of local people work at the university and the university is part of so many local projects and partnerships that we hope you'll have the chance to get involved and get to know the area we're proud of. Volun-tees is a great starting point - it gives you the chance as a student to volunteer in the local areas around our campus, having a great time at the same time as building up your skills and CV... some projects have seen our students working with Tees Valley Wildlife Trust :rose:, hosting a big Christmas party for local elderly people :smile: and working with Middlesbrough Sea Cadets :dolphin:... have a look at some more here.

Have a little browse through our campus pages to look at our grounds...

...and visit our lovely Middlesbrough and Tees Valley pages to find out a bit more about the area.

Reputation is one thing, the reality you find for yourself is another - no place is perfect but we look forward to Middlesbrough and Teesside University exceeding your hopes :smile:!

Please ask if there's anything we can help with - we'll look forward to seeing you in September :redface:
Original post by BonBons123
Hello there! I am coming to Teesside this September and I am just wondering what the University grounds and surrounding area's are like. Considering the reputation of Middlesbrough, I do have some worries.

I went for an open day there last year, the university itself is great, the facilities are great, the people are lovely and the course I wanted to do looked well tailored to my needs. The only reason I'm not going is because of the surrounding area. It's really bad, there were junkies walking all over the place, even through university grounds later in the evening. It's a shame because the university is so great. The only way I can describe it is that it's like someone built The Hilton in the middle of Aleppo.
Original post by ComplanAddict
I went for an open day there last year, the university itself is great, the facilities are great, the people are lovely and the course I wanted to do looked well tailored to my needs. The only reason I'm not going is because of the surrounding area. It's really bad, there were junkies walking all over the place, even through university grounds later in the evening. It's a shame because the university is so great. The only way I can describe it is that it's like someone built The Hilton in the middle of Aleppo.

Yeah, I'm an intl. student with an offer from Teesside and I love the facilities and the course seems to be one of the best for my subject. However, I've heard a lot about how the town itself and from what is being said, I take that the surrounding area is not appealing? I suppose that's definitely a factor to keep in mind considering how I'll be living in this place for the next 3 years. Was it really that bad? Anyone else who feels otherwise?
Reply 5
I graduated from Teesside in 1981 and still have fond memories of M boro except for the football team.
As someone who lives in nearby Redcar I would say that Middlesbrough is one of the most horrible places that I have ever been to. The town it's self is extremely depressing with limited activities to do, high pollution and crime in the town. Certain attractions like Stewert's Park are nice but others like Albert Park are ruined by the crime in the area. Nightlife is limited and most of the restraints I have been to are overpriced and tasteless. However, nearby towns like Guisbrough and Saltburn are lovely and don't suffer with the same problems as Middlesbrough and Redcar (my hometown) has a very nice beach and nice parks (especially Locke Park) and the best fish and chips in Teeside, despite a crap high street. These other towns have better restaurants as well and nicer people. Overall it's up to you where you want to go but for me Middlesbrough would be the last place I would choose to study.
Reply 7
Ive spent almost 4 years at Teesside and Im pretty much always round campus until late hours and I have never had an issue when its come to safety. Yeah there maybe the odd incident but the security on campus has always been great. Over the last few years, the town and the uni has really thrived. Linthorpe road alone is an international food hub which is great for students, top brands such as Mac (ladies!) have moved into town, a whole host of leisure activities to do which all have good public transport links. In answer to your question, the uni is always interacting with local businesses and organisations, the partnerships allows for students take advantage of volunteering or even paid opportunties. Im personally not from Middlesbrough myself but you have to see for yourself that its actually not as bad as people make out, its changed so much in the space of a couple years, its my home now.Hope that helps!
Reply 8
I've just graduated from TU and even though I commuted I spent so much time in Middlesbrough I actually really like it! I've also spent many a late night in the campus's library and have always felt safe walking to my car. Also as an extra reassurance campus security are available 24/7 and a quick call from a building they will even walk you to your car if it is further away than you would like! My uni friends and I became a right set of foodies so I have eaten in many restaurants, sandwich shops and fast food outlets there is such a wide choice completely on the doorstep! Shopping is excellent too there's both designer department stores and bargain shops within a 5 minute walk it's ideal! I also prefer the nightlife to my home town so often stop with friends living in the area. I would say sort accommodation early in order to have more choice but don't let the bad press put you off - it has everything you need within walking distance! The uni is continuously being revamped too - quite pretty on a night with rainbow lights and modern buildings! :smile:
I would say it wouldn't matter in the previous year I've had my whole extended family turn on me but they constipated of police officers etc. In the past 3 months it's been resolved because unfortunately they like to have everything in black and white. It doesn't work like that they're boring etc... you should just go if you like it.
I went to Teesside many moons ago and I loved the university and the town. I've missed Boro dearly since I moved away, too. I mean, sure... Its got downsides, but you find smackheads everywhere these days. I live in Oxford and still have to deal with smackheads all day long.

On the whole, though, the people are friendly, everything is cheap and it's a good school. I'll almost certainly return some day. Even if only to reclaim my spot on the Cougars D-Line ;-)
I just graduated from Teesside Uni and the people are really friendly!! The university is located on one campus, which makes it easier to get around. Everywhere has places that aren't great, but there are plenty of fantastic places too! Middlesbrough has lots to offer and anything else you need (the beach) is less than half an hour away! I couldn't recommend Teesside enough!
Middlesbrough isn't renowned for being the nicest of places visually and is affectionately referred to as "Smoggy Land" because of the poor air. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending