Donald Trump rules in elite interests Watch

AlexanderHam
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What a surprise. Trump governs for the 1%, as told by the newspaper of the 1%

https://www.ft.com/content/7dec9a66-...6-2d969e0d3b65

He was supposed to be leading a revolt against America’s elites. In practice Donald Trump is laying out a banquet for their delectation. The Trump White House is drawing up plans for across-the-board deregulation, tax cuts and a new generation of defence contracts. The only question is at what speed.
You thought he was going to drain the swamp. You thought he was going to govern in the interests of the little guy. You guys were so ****ing gullible, literally complete morons to have fallen for it :lol:

In contrast, Mr Trump’s middle-class economic plans, such as they were, are already receding. The chances of a big infrastructure bill are rapidly dimming. In marketing they call this bait and switch. The effect of Mr Trump’s economic agenda will be to deepen the conditions that gave rise to his candidacy. The biggest winners will be on Wall Street, in the fossil fuel energy sector and defence.
Oh and here's a juicy one. Trump promises a new war on recreational marijuana users, and removes the federal regulations that ended federal private prisons. Naturally, stocks in private prisons are soaring. The 1% gets richer.

Last week the stocks of private prison companies soared after the Department of Justice scrapped an Obama rule that endedthe outsourcing of federal incarceration.
What's that? Trump is shutting down competition?

Likewise, the new head of the Federal Communications Commission has purged key parts of the net neutrality rules put in place to shield consumers from discrimination. The FCC also scrapped plans to open the cable box market to competition. Expect similar field days in the for-profit higher education sector, defence industrial stocks and public housing contractors.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Shock horror! Rich guy predominantly supported by richer-than-average people doesn't actually give a **** about poor people!
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
American politicians aren't there to represent their constituents. They're there to represent the billionaires that fund their campaigns
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zargabaath)
American politicians aren't there to represent their constituents. They're there to represent the billionaires that fund their campaigns
In American politics (like all democratic politics) there's an inherent tension between representing the various interests and constitutencies that organise to get one elected. In the Democratic Party, there is a degree of trade-off between the various interest groups (because organised labour / trade unions, the education lobby, the LGBT lobby, etc also bundle and donate to the Democratic Party, along with the more liberal wing of Silicon Valley, the legal profession etc). The Democratic Party is not perfect, but it often stands for the interests of ordinary people on economic issues (again, not perfect but at least there's a tension and a contest there).

With Hillary Clinton, we know she would have governed partially in the interests of billionaires, and partially in the interests of ordinary people, because it was in her political self-interest to please her donors (which includes organised labour and wealthy left-wing groups who want greater economic equality). It's not because she's a good person, it's because she's a rational person that we could trust she would sometimes act at the behest of ordinary working Americans. Donald Trump? Nah.

The GOP possesses no such tension. Donald Trump claimed he was going to govern in the interests of the little people. Can't believe people actually fell for it :lol:
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In this case that was donald trump
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
In this case that was donald trump
donald trump is an exception, he represents whoever whispers in his ear
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Putin does the same.

Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
This is actually not a joke, it's well-known that Trump basically agrees with whoever was the last person to speak. His staff fight over who gets to be the last person to speak at meetings, or to stay with him after the meeting (Bannon, usually)
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athematica)
Awesome mix of humour and astute observations of politics
Athematica
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
Awesome mix of humour and astute observations of politics
It's based on the book The Dictator's Handbook by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita. It's an accessible look at game theory applied to the world of politics. He also wrote The Logic of Political Survival and other titles which are more academically inclined, using more complicated mathematics and expecting more engagement from the reader. It's mostly about Real Politick. Really interesting field, if anybody is curious.

That aside, I agree. CGP Grey does really well to present some of the ideas in a funny and insightful way. Great video and channel in general.

Another of his better videos:

AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
It's based on the book The Dictator's Handbook by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita. It's an accessible look at game theory applied to the world of politics. He also wrote The Logic of Political Survival and other titles which are more academically inclined, using more complicated mathematics and expecting more engagement from the reader. It's mostly about Real Politick. Really interesting field, if anybody is curious.
I've heard about the Dictator's Handbook but never got around to reading it. As someone who is a bit of a political junkie, a fan of Soviet history and enjoyed Michiavelli's Il Principe, it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

I do think his description of dictatorial politics, which is extremely apt in describing the ethnic-based crony dictatorships of, say, Syria and Saddam's Iraq, does not extend entirely to Soviet politics (for although there was competition for resources between, for example, the Ministry of Shipbuilding Industries and the Ministry of Radio-Machine Industry, and the Central Committee members leading them.. and although the resources were sometimes spent inefficiently, for the most part all of the proceeds ended up benefiting the people in one way or another).

But overall I found the video very enjoyable; Michiavelli in cute stick figures
Athematica
Report 2 years ago
I've heard about the Dictator's Handbook but never got around to reading it. As someone who is a bit of a political junkie, a fan of Soviet history and enjoyed Michiavelli's Il Principe, it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

I do think his description of dictatorial politics, which is extremely apt in describing the ethnic-based crony dictatorships of, say, Syria and Saddam's Iraq, does not extend entirely to Soviet politics (for although there was competition for resources between, for example, the Ministry of Shipbuilding Industries and the Ministry of Radio-Machine Industry, and the Central Committee members leading them.. and although the resources were sometimes spent inefficiently, for the most part all of the proceeds ended up benefiting the people in one way or another).

But overall I found the video very enjoyable; Michiavelli in cute stick figures
Haha. Machiavellianism and power politics is sexy as a whole I'm really curious but only really vaguely explore it.

What would you recommend reading if I'm interested in Russia/Soviet power and the like? Putin's current position is astounding but I just haven't looked very far into it. Definitely interested!
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Haha. Machiavellianism and power politics is sexy as a whole I'm really curious but only really vaguely explore it.
I think it can be. Ambition can be extremely attractive, though there's a kind of superficial ambition which is extremely obnoxious; the young Conservative Mark Clarke is the perfect example (he was like a pound-shop Machiavelli, he'd watched too much House of Cards but his reach exceeded his grasp and his ambitions far exceeded his talent... he tried to blackmail a Tory cabinet minister with knowledge of an affair, not for any real political reason but simply because it made him feel like he was a power player. He was obsessed with getting selected for a safe Tory seat, becoming a minister etc). I find that sort of ambition, the sort you have from many people involved in university politics, a little nauseating.

But when someone has deep ambition that is tempered by a broad intellectual 'hinterland' (they are knowledgeable of many areas outside politics, they have real personality beyond their appetites), when their ambition is restrained and slightly submerged, then that can indeed be very attractive personality trait.

What would you recommend reading if I'm interested in Russia/Soviet power and the like? Putin's current position is astounding but I just haven't looked very far into it. Definitely interested!
I'd absolutely recommend starting with Robert Service's 2004 biography of Stalin. It's a fantastic read and it really gives you an amazing sense of the Soviet Union in the 1920s to 1950s. When Stalin came to effective power in 1924 (he wasn't in full control at first, he had to knock down his opponents one by one... first by allying with the Soviet Communist right against the left, and then when they'd been taken out, with the Communist Party left against the right faction), the Soviet Union was basically a completely backward, quasi-medieval state. The vast majority of the population were peasants, many illiterate. And yet 20 years later, Stalin had transformed the Soviet Union to the point where it could field the largest army the world had ever seen, churning out tanks and aircraft by the hundreds of thousands, and eventually prevailing after this titanic struggle in which two industrial superpowers, Germany and Russia, slugged it out in a pitiless war of annihilation.

To put Russia in that industrial position, in the 1940s, Stalin did terrible things. But it really is the story of the 20th century. Service's description of the internal power struggles of the Soviet Communist Party are quite amazing; in the 1920s and early 1930s Stalin had show trials and convicted many Old Bolsheviks. In the late 1930s when Stalin commenced the Great Terror (including executing huge numbers of the best officers in the Red Army), it was just wholesale slaughter without even the pretence of trial. Stalin had an excellent memory and he knew many of the mid-ranking bureaucrats of the Communist Party. In the late 1930s, he had large books with the names of these people, next to passport-size photographs, brought in and he would write next to their name (Execute, or Send to Gulag) and he did that to thousands upon thousands of his communist comrades, often killing entire families. Of course many outside the communist party were killed (kulaks, or wealthy peasants, and army officers, and basically anyone who was even capable of resisting), but the way Stalin treated his own colleagues and comrades is among the most interesting.

He would invite his top dozen or so underlings for these long drinking parties, and get them to make fools of themselves, and they knew they had to perform for the Great Leader. Stalin believed that drink would also make them more likely to admit if they were disloyal (though in reality, everyone was too terrified to be disloyal and Stalin knowingly killed many innocent people simply to scare the rest). One time, I think it was Mikoyan, was called before Stalin and Stalin asked him, "Why are your eyes so shifty today?". Fark! Can you imagine how terrifying that would be! And yet, to his dying days in the late 1970s, Mikoyan always spoke highly of Stalin.

Have you seen this video (below)?

JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fake news!!!!
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is actually not a joke, it's well-known that Trump basically agrees with whoever was the last person to speak. His staff fight over who gets to be the last person to speak at meetings, or to stay with him after the meeting (Bannon, usually)
it is a joke, it being real is the punchline
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
it is a joke, it being real is the punchline
True that

(I just @ replied you in another thread, the nuclear weapons thread, however I did it by editing you into a post.. I was wondering if you can see it or does that only work when you @ reply someone when you create the post?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads