naturallygreezy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
One friend has got onto TF in the coming cohort. He studied politics & economics at University, however he achieved an A in ICT at A-level. Due to this, TF have offered him Computing as the subject he will teach. Now, I am not sure everyone is wholly aware of the curriculum changes over the past few years, but the computing curriculum varies significantly from that of ICT (for those that have previously completed ICT at A-level). It now largely focuses on programming etc, something which my friend has little experience of.

Long story short, he wants to go ahead with this. He is currently unemployed, and will dedicate this time till September learning the curriculum. I can vouch that he is a very hard worker (achieved a first at a top ten uni), however this still seems like a bonkers idea to me? Teaching a subject with literally no prior experience? I've said this to him, but how big of an issue do you guys think this is?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am teaching Computing having been a developer for 16 years. On the one hand I find the subject easy. This however makes life difficult because I find it hard to gauge the ability of my students. If he is up for it, then go for it, but it is really tough. IMO, Computer Science GCSE is the hardest subject of all subjects. A lot of what I did at uni is not in the GCSE syllabus.
naturallygreezy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I am teaching Computing having been a developer for 16 years. On the one hand I find the subject easy. This however makes life difficult because I find it hard to gauge the ability of my students. If he is up for it, then go for it, but it is really tough. IMO, Computer Science GCSE is the hardest subject of all subjects. A lot of what I did at uni is not in the GCSE syllabus.

What makes it so hard? Can it really be harder than Maths?

Is it also possible to have a satisfactory understanding of the curriculum with 3-4 months hard work?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by naturallygreezy)
What makes it so hard? Can it really be harder than Maths?

Is it also possible to have a satisfactory understanding of the curriculum with 3-4 months hard work?
It is hard because many of the components of it come from maths. You have to know how to do binary addition, manipulation, conversion from binary to denary and hex etc and you can't use a calculator.

You also have to learn how to program and solve problems but on top of that there is a huge amount of theory to cover from the CPU, Systems software, Data Representation, security, computers and the law and wider society - it is all in there.

Yes - you could pick it up. Chances are that he applies for a course, he will be required to attend or do a subject knowledge enhancement course.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With an A at A level and lots of time to read up on it, there is everything to be positive about.
Galaxian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by naturallygreezy)
One friend has got onto TF in the coming cohort. He studied politics & economics at University, however he achieved an A in ICT at A-level. Due to this, TF have offered him Computing as the subject he will teach. Now, I am not sure everyone is wholly aware of the curriculum changes over the past few years, but the computing curriculum varies significantly from that of ICT (for those that have previously completed ICT at A-level). It now largely focuses on programming etc, something which my friend has little experience of.

Long story short, he wants to go ahead with this. He is currently unemployed, and will dedicate this time till September learning the curriculum. I can vouch that he is a very hard worker (achieved a first at a top ten uni), however this still seems like a bonkers idea to me? Teaching a subject with literally no prior experience? I've said this to him, but how big of an issue do you guys think this is?
This will be difficult, but not impossible if your friend is really passionate and can focus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
12.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (28)
24.56%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (49)
42.98%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (19)
16.67%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.51%

Watched Threads