The Student Room Group

Am I spoilt?

My parents always give me money.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure what you're asking
If your parents are supporting you through uni then you have no excuse not to do well.
Is there s point to your thread?
Original post by Hawke0

My parents give me money too! But the way you spend it differentiates you from the spoilt
No you're not spoilt, it's their duty to provide for you until you are able to provide for yourself. Assuming you're not just sitting at home claiming benefits?
Depends how you act towards others and what you do with the money.
Reply 5
Most parents tend to give their children money, that doesn't automatically make you spoilt.
No, being spoilt is more having a terrible attitude not just getting material things.
This is spoilt:

Reply 8
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
This is spoilt:

Stop posting gifs of yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by AishaGirl
No you're not spoilt, it's their duty to provide for you until you are able to provide for yourself. Assuming you're not just sitting at home claiming benefits?

Whats wrong with that?
Original post by sexyboyyy
Stop posting gifs of yourself.

Lol.
You're not spoiled necessarily, but you are privileged. It's important that you recognize this privilege though and understand that not everyone has this benefit; not doing so would lead to you acting as "spoiled".
It depends how much they give you and how often, I guess. I think if they were giving you two or three hundred pounds a week, every week, then that might be classed as excessive, and therefore make you spoilt.
Do you fit the description below.

spoil

2. harm the character of (a child) by being too lenient or indulgent.
- treat with great or excessive kindness, consideration, or generosity.
Original post by markova21
It depends how much they give you and how often, I guess. I think if they were giving you two or three hundred pounds a week, every week, then that might be classed as excessive, and therefore make you spoilt.

Or just "well off". :teehee:

This 'spoilt' thing is very overdone - often it's just people being jealous. I'm sure some people do get spoilt a bit too much by parents/grandparents, etc, but people confuse loving or caring with spoiling. There's a very strong thing in British culture to be mean to kids. Anything not mean is regarded as 'spoiling'.
Reply 15
Original post by Hawke0

As an above poster suggests, in that situation, "being spoilt" is about attitude.

"Thanks for giving me money" = Not spolit
"Why was this month's money late?" = Spoilt

"My parents give me loads of money - look at my bling" = Spoilt
"I'll get this round" = Not spoilt

Having money isn't a bad thing and it doesn't make you a bad person. It's your parents' money to do with as they see fit. It's also then your money to do with as you see fit. You don't need to splash it about or wave a flag about it in front of people who don't have those kind of resources. You're lucky, but as long as you understand that and you're not a brat about it, then you're not spoilt.
Original post by sexyboyyy
Whats wrong with that?

I meant if the person is just sitting at home not looking for a job and taking money from their parents then yes they are spoilt.
Reply 17
Original post by Hawke0

"A spoiled child, spoiled brat, or simply a brat is a derogatory term aimed atchildren who exhibit behavioral problems from being overindulged by their parents.Children and teens who are perceived as spoiled may be described as "overindulged", "grandiose", "narcissistic" or "egocentric-regressed" "

You've made some very weird posts and topics in the past, and that may fall under "behavioral problems" ....so are you spoilt? imo the jury's out in your case...
Original post by ANM775
"A spoiled child, spoiled brat, or simply a brat is a derogatory term aimed atchildren who exhibit behavioral problems from being overindulged by their parents.Children and teens who are perceived as spoiled may be described as "overindulged", "grandiose", "narcissistic" or "egocentric-regressed" "

You've made some very weird posts and topics in the past, and that may fall under "behavioral problems" ....so are you spoilt? imo the jury's out in your case...

Sometimes it's about behaviour. However, people often judge someone to be spoiled regardless of their behavioural outcome, just basically if they have wealthy and indulgent parents or relatives who give them large or regular gifts.
Reply 19
Original post by markova21

I get a bit more than that, but if that is the definition of spoilt, then there is nothing wrong about fitting it.
Personally, I do call myself spoilt merely because my parents are quite generous, even if my behaviour is fairly decent. I see it as a passive form, not active. You are spoilt if someone spoils you, regardless of your own behaviour!

Quick Reply