Children exposed to 'unacceptably high levels' of alcohol marketing.

Watch
goat_boy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
AFS is calling for a ban on alcohol adverts in streets, sports grounds and public transport, alcohol sponsorship of sport, music and cultural events, and restrictions on adverts in newspapers and on social media.
It is also pressing the UK government to restrict TV alcohol advertising between 06:00 and 23:00 and cinema advertising to 18-certificate films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39110077

Good idea, or overbearing,nannying government?

Not calling for nearly enough imo. Drug pushers are absolute scum, we should go all the way like we've done with tobacco, no advertising, plain packaging, health warnings, the lot.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The younger generation is drinking less than ever before. Pubs are closing left right and centre. So what problem is this proposal trying to solve? It seems to me if you deliberately restrict knowledge about alcohol all you'll do is encourage more kids to want to try it, forbidden fruit and all that. Admittedly advertisers are hardly the best sources for education, but that's why we have the ASA to regulate them.

Also, restricting to 18 makes no sense. You'd have to be a very, very sheltered teen to have never had a drink prior to your 18th birthday. Remember also that the minimum age to consume alcohol in this country is 5.
MaxHeather
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Alcohol adverts are rarely shown during day-time television nowadays - and the only advertisements for alcohol at football games etc. are simple and aimed at adults who are drinking - children learn about alcohol through education and first hand experience, not through advertisement.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
It seems to me if you deliberately restrict knowledge about alcohol all you'll do is encourage more kids to want to try it
You believe kids are educated by alcohol advertisements?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by goat_boy)
You believe kids are educated by alcohol advertisements?
Try reading the whole post before you click reply.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnGreek)
Silly idea. The concept of "going for a beer with your mates" is no longer reliant on advertisements, but rather on more ingrained social norms. Teenagers will find out about alcohol either way (through the supermarket, their friends, their parents, and so on), and will consume similar quantities. The most that you're going to change is the brand.
Great. So no need for advertisement then, what makes it a silly idea?
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
Try reading the whole post before you click reply.
ermm i did, advertising = knowledge?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ermm i did, advertising = knowledge?
(Original post by Dez)
Admittedly advertisers are hardly the best sources for education, but that's why we have the ASA to regulate them.
See above.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
See above.
Yes, so you believe kids are educated by advertisements with the help of the ASA, i reckon it'd be better without the advertisement.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
This really confuses the hell out of me, why are so many so desperate to defend drug pushing?

Banning advertisement will no doubt harm the alcohol and marketing industry but i'm sure they'll survive, good drugs sell themselves, so what is it that drives this defense of drug pushers?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, so you believe kids are educated by advertisements with the help of the ASA, i reckon it'd be better without the advertisement.
Should we ban Nescafé adverts as well?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This whole buzzword thing is so old. If you push the alcohol = drug pushing thing, no-one believes it and your whole narrative just gets ignored.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Makes sense to me. Only the big breweries/distilleries really advertise anyway, smaller craft breweries should be pretty much unaffected.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
Should we ban Nescafé adverts as well?
Caffeine can be a pretty nasty drug but it doesn't cause nearly the problems that alcohol does, so maybe, but one step at a time.
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Makes sense to me. Only the big breweries/distilleries really advertise anyway, smaller craft breweries should be pretty much unaffected.
Exactly, stop a few kids drinking and push up the quality of alcoholic drinks, whats not to like?
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trinculo)
This whole buzzword thing is so old. If you push the alcohol = drug pushing thing, no-one believes it and your whole narrative just gets ignored.
Eh buzzwords? Alcohol is a drug.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you define "unacceptably high"? It seems like you and the report describe it as any
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by joecphillips)
Can you define "unacceptably high"? It seems like you and the report describe it as any
sure, any, why not?
goat_boy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnGreek)
Because you're basically shutting down a multimillion pound advertising industry for no reason whatsoever.
You've just explained that they have no reason to exist, so we might as well, lets get them doing something useful instead.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sure, any, why not?
You (and the BBC) should be upfront in the title saying that any is unacceptably high.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (5)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
10%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (1)
10%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
10%

Watched Threads