Northern Ireland: 2nd March Assembly Elections 2017

Watch
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Today N.Ireland goes to the polls for the Stormont elections! For those of you who don't know, this election was triggered by the resignation of the Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness over the RHI 'cash for ash' scandal.

However, what makes this election particularly special and one to keep an eye on is that it will be the first election to elect 90 MLAs to the Assembly, a reduction from the previous 108 as part of the boundary commission report. This means that the main parties will be watching closely to see how many seats they are set to lose.

For a nice long read on this election, the BBC have a good overview here.

Personally, I will be stunned if there is a major shake-up within Stormont. It is rather unlikely, since back home people have a tendency to vote tribe-only. However, there is a growing sense of disillusionment with politics in Northern Ireland. But this may mean that less people will be bothered to come out to vote, not a swing in party numbers.

Does anyone want to risk any number predictions? Will the UUP and SDLP claw back ground from the DUP and Sinn Féin?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Polls are now open and I have BBC and UTV open on my phone to keep an eye on the coverage all day
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Airmed

All parties seat's decreasing proportionally with the decrease in seats, with an additional DUP going to the UUP
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam9317)
Airmed

All parties seat's decreasing proportionally with the decrease in seats, with an additional DUP going to the UUP
What do you think the coalition will be? :holmes:
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Airmed)
What do you think the coalition will be? :holmes:
Its going to be a mess, thats all I know!
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam9317)
Its going to be a mess, thats all I know!
My thinking exactly! Being trying to think of possible coalitions all day and there is issues all round :eek:
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sinn Fein to have the most seats I reckon ...
cactipair
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I honestly hope change happens today, I know it could be very unlikely but the turn out is on average 10% higher than last year from what I've seen. I just want a difference to be actually made in politics or maybe I'm just too naive.
Airmed
Rep:
?
64.8% turned out to vote, which is the highest in a decade. It's incredible. I wonder what it is going to be like, the final seats.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Direct rule is on the cards...
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Not surprised. I can't think of a possible coalition that could work.
Snufkin
Report 3 years ago
Is that a bad thing in the short term?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Results so far suggest a 2% swing from DUP to Sinn Feinn. That would probably suggest a narrow DUP win unless the percentage change worsens.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
It wouldn't suit anybody. London doesn't want the hassle, and the locals certainly don't want London to be involved.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Direct rule is not a popular thought, tbh.
Snufkin
Report 3 years ago
It wouldn't suit anybody. London doesn't want the hassle, and the locals certainly don't want London to be involved.
(Original post by Airmed)
Direct rule is not a popular thought, tbh.
Isn't it? I think I'd prefer it to constant deadlock tbh, and it might be the kick people need to get a dialogue going.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Bloody Elisha McCallion. *******s. :facepalm:
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Isn't it? I think I'd prefer it to constant deadlock tbh, and it might be the kick people need to get a dialogue going.
The weird powersharing system usually means stuff actually does get done. I mean look at the chuckle brothers - if those two complete opposites (politically) could work together then it demonstrated the system could be reasonably succesful.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looking deeper at the first 7 constituencies (NI only has 18), it looks like the swings are actually DUP to UUP and Independents to Sinn Fein.

Are there any relevant marginals between those two couples to come up later.
Airmed
Rep:
?
:lol: Dialogue? They do it all the time. Agreements are made and then they're broken. That's N.I for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads