Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all u lucky people that got into medicine, i was just wondering what grades you guys got at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly A*, A and a few Bs i expect.

ReputationRep:
    5 A's 3 B's 1C

ReputationRep:
    4 A's, 6 B's, 2 C's

ReputationRep:
    9 A* 1 A

ReputationRep:
    10 A*s, 2½ As

ReputationRep:
    1 A*, 6 A, 2 B, 1 C Great GCSE result huh!... but i still got in because i caned by AS levels and i'm hoping to cane my A2...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotboi01)
    hi all u lucky people that got into medicine, i was just wondering what grades you guys got at GCSE.
    i got pretty good grades in medicine, but dont need to say what they are simply because unless you are an oxbridge applicant most unis do not take GCSE grades into account.. helps a lot to put you at ease but the main thing they are looking at academically is the ALevels/AS subjects and grades.

if however you are oxbridge, helps if they are all As and A*s

ReputationRep:
    7A*s, 4As

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get in, but I had 4A*s 5As 2Bs and predicted AAB for A2's. Got ABBBC for AS. (should work out to be AABBC now after retakes in June). Grades really aren't everything. I didn't even get one interview Damn medical schools, why didn't they want me! I'd have made a great doctor! I don't want to do medicine anymore though, so maybe it was best I didn't get in. Hmph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I didn't get in, but I had 4A*s 5As 2Bs and predicted AAB for A2's. Got ABBBC for AS. (should work out to be AABBC now after retakes in June). Grades really aren't everything. I didn't even get one interview Damn medical schools, why didn't they want me! I'd have made a great doctor! I don't want to do medicine anymore though, so maybe it was best I didn't get in. Hmph
    What do you want to do now? I had noticed your absence on medschoolguide!

ReputationRep:
    3x A (in the days before A* - not that I would have gotten one!)
    5x B
    2x C
    1x D (history - tried learning in my sleep, using a notes taped on to a cassette - it doesn't work!!!)

ReputationRep:
    3 A*'s
    4 A's
    3 B;s

ReputationRep:
    11A*s

ReputationRep:
    does also depend on the medical schools you apply to, all of the ones i had applied to ask for lower ABB grades, but because of the competition for places, its guaranteed that about 90% of all the people who got a conditional place would have been predicted AAA and probably got AABB without retakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    What do you want to do now? I had noticed your absence on medschoolguide!
    It is really strange, I was so determined to be a doctor for years and years, but now I couldn't bare it. I can't understand what put me off it. Maybe all the rejections made me think that I obviously wasn't good enough to be a doctor so it just gave me bad feelings about the career. Who knows! I watch that Young Medics program about the Soton students, and I think to myself "God, I really wouldn't like to do that at all!" A lot of pressure being in the hospital with someones life depending on you... :eek:

I am taking a gap year (originally so that I could re-apply to medicine) and am going to China in Feb. I am applying for Uni starting sept 2005 to do a degree in French with Psychology (and if I get into Liverpool, I can combine Egyptology with that too!!) It is far from medicine, but I feel more up my street. Maybe getting into medicine was the best thing that ever happened to me...or maybe it was the worst. I don't know if I'd have made a good doctor until I started a medical degree, and I'd feel terrible if I got into med school, therefore depriving some poor student who really really wants to be a doctor, and then me dropping out. Gah, god knows what would have happened.

Good luck with your med applications guys, make sure medicine is what you really really want to do before applying...and don't get put off if they reject you, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't be a good doctor, it just is a difference of opinion on their behalf! (I sound all Philosophical now!)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your gap year . Sometimes these things happen for the best i guess.

ReputationRep:
    3A*'s, 6A's, 1C

ReputationRep:
    7A*s 2A's

ReputationRep:
    It is really strange, I was so determined to be a doctor for years and years, but now I couldn't bare it. I can't understand what put me off it. Maybe all the rejections made me think that I obviously wasn't good enough to be a doctor so it just gave me bad feelings about the career. Who knows! I watch that Young Medics program about the Soton students, and I think to myself "God, I really wouldn't like to do that at all!" A lot of pressure being in the hospital with someones life depending on you... :eek:

I am taking a gap year (originally so that I could re-apply to medicine) and am going to China in Feb. I am applying for Uni starting sept 2005 to do a degree in French with Psychology (and if I get into Liverpool, I can combine Egyptology with that too!!) It is far from medicine, but I feel more up my street. Maybe getting into medicine was the best thing that ever happened to me...or maybe it was the worst. I don't know if I'd have made a good doctor until I started a medical degree, and I'd feel terrible if I got into med school, therefore depriving some poor student who really really wants to be a doctor, and then me dropping out. Gah, god knows what would have happened.

Good luck with your med applications guys, make sure medicine is what you really really want to do before applying...and don't get put off if they reject you, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't be a good doctor, it just is a difference of opinion on their behalf! (I sound all Philosophical now!)
    sorry to hear about your situation, and to be honest you would probably make a better doctor than most people on here purely because of your ability to notice all the people around you who may be affected by your decisions, i know i hardly know you but i still think you shouldnt reject medicine outright not, just think for a few more days, and like you said you could still be a good doctor irrespective of what happens at the entrance interview. Good luck with the future and thursday of course

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.