Dissertation Help: Choice of topic

Watch
ChloeBelle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone, I would reeeeally appreciate some advice as I have a week to make a decision.

I'm in my second year, and at my uni we have a choice as to the set up of our third year dissertation. I can either choose to do a 10,000 word dissertation worth 30 credits, where I can select a question/topic area from a list of about 30 choices, or I can do a 12,000 word dissertation worth 45 credits where I select my own topic related to an interest of one of my lecturers. The latter option is only open to students who are averaging a 2:1 in second year (my average mark so far appears to be 70 on the dot haha).

If I choose the 30 credit option, I can do three other modules alongside, and for the 45 credit option I do two other modules. My only concern is that I am putting all my eggs in one basket and relying on one piece of work to get a first. Other students on my course have tried to put me off, however, most people I know are averaging a low 2:1 at the moment so I don't know if this is influencing them.

If it makes a difference, I'm studying law, and I don't want to be a lawyer. I plan to do a masters in Marketing. My lectuerer says the 45 credit option will be beneficial to postgraduate students, however, my dissertation will not be related to my masters so I don't know if the same applies.

Thank you so much for any help in advance.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's an interesting choice that I haven't come across yet but sounds like a good one to offer students. Have you done any long piece of work before and generally how good are you at essay writing? If you don't plan to do law I would say do the 30 credit module and then do others that have varied content and assessments so you have a good chance of doing well. Generally a dissertation will give you some transferable skills as well but I don't see how you wouldn't gain them from doing a 10,000 word one vs a 12,000 word one.
ChloeBelle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I haven't done any long pieces yet, but I am pretty good at essay writing. I think it's my writing skills that have lead to my higher marks rather than actual subject knowledge, particularly as I go to a lower-tier uni. All of my optional modules for next year are also coursework-based so the assessments are the same.

It's mainly deciding whether choosing my own topic will be the more impressive option. For my masters degree, I intend to apply to better universities than where I am now, so I really want to look like I am willing to put the effort in.

It's such a hard choice seeing as a dissertation is so important, I wish I didn't have an option! 😝
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It won't make any difference whether or not you've chosen your topic as most likely it will be moulded and shaped by your supervisor's interests (as is the case with most undergrad projects) so don't pick solely on that. And rankings don't make much of a difference. Pick what's right for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (625)
48.79%

Watched Threads