Turn on thread page Beta

Maths! p.s. help!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After a vicious cycle of deciding between maths and medicine i've decided to do maths. But I haven't got much work experience for it, i've just been the financial manager of my school's company for a year, is that enough? I seriously need help on my p.s. all i've been thinking about is medicine but found out that I enjoy maths more!!! HELP ANY ADVICE???

ReputationRep:
    work experience is not that important in maths. To study maths unis will more be looking at your proficiency and love of the subject. You need to pick a particular area of maths that interests you, read a book about it, and then talk about it. Dont read something like "fermats last theorem" because everyone has read that. Pick a well known book, but not one a lot of people have read. Perhaps something by Roger Penrose. Then discuss what you find fascinating about that particular area.

goto: www.studential.com and look around there, lots of articles and example Personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    After a vicious cycle of deciding between maths and medicine i've decided to do maths. But I haven't got much work experience for it, i've just been the financial manager of my school's company for a year, is that enough? I seriously need help on my p.s. all i've been thinking about is medicine but found out that I enjoy maths more!!! HELP ANY ADVICE???
    I had no work experience to mention of on my personal statement for maths but still got offers!

I spent about two thirds of my personal statement talking about why I liked maths, what particular areas of maths I'm interested in, any math books I've read about which I found particularly interesting, and what I hope to do with my maths degree.

Then I finished off with a paragraph detailing some voluntary conservation work I've done, and mentioning some extra-cirricular activites I've done.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    Honestly don't worry about work experience! I had been planning to become a vet for years and started doing work experience when I was 12 at my local vet practice. The suddenly in lower 6th I discovered my passion for Physics and completely changed my idea of what to study at Uni! I didn't have any work experience and managed to get 6 offers including Oxford!!! Work experience is only really vital if you plan to do a more career orientated job - medicine, law etc. Although, some uni's like you to have had a taste of what working's like, they don't mind for subjects like Maths if the experience isn't exactly relevant.

Regarding, PS, there have been several posts recently regarding maths ones' on here - so do a quick search. Follow the other people's advice about reading around the subject to show your enthusiasm.

Good luck on being brave enough to change you idea about what to study - you may be filled with regrets now, or unsure you've made the right decision, but I'm sure once you get into a maths course you'll be so pleased you chose it over medicine. I know what it feels like, but honestly, you've made the decision at the right time before it's too late!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.