shibe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So gravitational potential generally is just the potential energy per kg at a point in a field, so it is purely a location-dependent quantity.

As you increase the distance from Earth's centre surely the gravitational potential would increase because more work is required to move it away from the the gravitational pull? The equation is given as

V= -(Gm)/r

so according to this, increasing the distance from Earth's centre means that the potential will decrease? Though i don't see how this makes sense?

Also gravitational potential is defined as being zero at infinity, i know this is partly due to the fact that the g. force approaches zero at infinity but wouldn't the potential be zero at the centre of the Earth since no work is done to move it away from its equilibrium point?

Help is appreciated, pls im bad at physics
tobq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you see the negative?

What happens if you go from -2 to -1: it increases.
tobq
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/phys...onal-potential
shibe
Rep:
?
(Original post by tobq)
Do you see the negative?

What happens if you go from -2 to -1: it increases.
Oh, fair enough. Is this due to convention then instead of having the centre of the Earth at zero potential, for which the gravitational potential would be positive?
tobq
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Potential is the amount of work, needed, to move something from "a point of infinity" (a point infinitely far away - the edge of the field) to a point, in a field -- REMEMBER THIS!

Gravitation potential is a measure of the amount of work done (energy) needed per unit of mass (kg) to move from a point of infinity, to a point of distance R, away from an object's centre.

The MAGNITUDE will decrease, as R increases, but the VALUE will increase, because as I said, -2 is smaller than -1.

I've also found this confusing before.
shibe
Rep:
?
(Original post by tobq)
Potential is the amount of work, needed, to move something from "a point of infinity" (a point infinitely far away - the edge of the field) to a point, in a field -- REMEMBER THIS!

Gravitation potential is a measure of the amount of work done (energy) needed per unit of mass (kg) to move from a point of infinity, to a point of distance R, away from an object's centre.

The MAGNITUDE will decrease, as R increases, but the VALUE will increase, because as I said, -2 is smaller than -1.

I've also found this confusing before.
okay that makes sense, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads