University Choices Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
OK, Im still having a seriously bad time trying to whittle down my list of prefered Universities to 6. At one point the list was about 17 institutions long but after much work I have it down to the following...

Bath, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Reading, Durham, UEA, Sheffield.

I am applying for Computer Science with ABBC as AS grades. I should be predicted something like ABBB at A-Level. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or feelings on how to decide on the final 6?? I know about the repuations of every place (don't bother pointing out the Durham isn't ranked well for my course) but I would like to hear anyones experiences with these places!!! Any information / experiences of how difficult each of these places is to actually get an offer from would be MUCH appreciated!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I read from somewhere that computer science at nottingham isn't very good, but it may not be entirely true, also y not apply to some universities in London?
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
OK, Im still having a seriously bad time trying to whittle down my list of prefered Universities to 6. At one point the list was about 17 institutions long but after much work I have it down to the following...

Bath, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Reading, Durham, UEA, Sheffield.

I am applying for Computer Science with ABBC as AS grades. I should be predicted something like ABBB at A-Level. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or feelings on how to decide on the final 6?? I know about the repuations of every place (don't bother pointing out the Durham isn't ranked well for my course) but I would like to hear anyones experiences with these places!!! Any information / experiences of how difficult each of these places is to actually get an offer from would be MUCH appreciated!!!
i have only visited nottigham uni. i thought i was great. really nice. i would deff apply there, i did.

rather than trying to work out 6. i would begin to try to work out ure firm and back up place.

make sure your backup is below ure 1st by a distance. i got aabb for as and bbc for a2. not that you will but u need something lower incase.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I've heard that Bath is great...
Leekey
(Original post by Unregistered)
I read from somewhere that computer science at nottingham isn't very good, but it may not be entirely true, also y not apply to some universities in London?

The only University I like in London is Imperial and I have decided to apply to only one institution who's requirements are above my predicted grades (i.e. Bath) so I abandoned it.

I considered UCL but I didn't like it enough to warrant me applying there.
Leekey
(Original post by Ollie)
i have only visited nottigham uni. i thought i was great. really nice. i would deff apply there, i did.

rather than trying to work out 6. i would begin to try to work out ure firm and back up place.

make sure your backup is below ure 1st by a distance. i got aabb for as and bbc for a2. not that you will but u need something lower incase.

My "backup" will probably be UEA who require BBC for their standard Comp Sci course. As for a firm, if I could pick anyone of the above places to go to, I would almost certainly pick Reading or Nottingham

PS - I know that Nottingham isn't the best for my course but I loved the place and therefore it got on the list (much like Durham did)!!

PSS - With any luck I think I could scrape AABB for A2. This is mainly based on me getting the grades I did for AS without actually doing much work at all (naughty me)!!!
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The only University I like in London is Imperial and I have decided to apply to only one institution who's requirements are above my predicted grades (i.e. Bath) so I abandoned it.

well to hell with them then... i only really like exeter. nottigham too, but not enough.

so i applyed for ex and they came back 1st so i accepted them as 1st and 2nd and canceled everyone else (that was good-saying no thanx to warwick after theyd promised me a place!)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

Hi, I have considered UCL but havent been there yet. What was wrong with it in your opinion?

Other Unis that I gonna apply to (all to do law at) will be Oxford, Warick, Durham, King's College London and maybe Manchester or Birmingham. Ne opinions over these Unis?
Leekey
(Original post by Ollie)
well to hell with them then... i only really like exeter. nottigham too, but not enough.

so i applyed for ex and they came back 1st so i accepted them as 1st and 2nd and canceled everyone else (that was good-saying no thanx to warwick after theyd promised me a place!)

I don't understand why Warwick is sooooo popular, I really didn't like it all that much. I know it has a nice reputation but that isn't enough for me to apply there.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

Five of them are medium to large cities, and the others are not. Perhaps thta could be a factor to think about? Also you might want to consider cost of living and the accomodation situation in each town/ university. Also on the cost factor is the cost and convenience of travelling home.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Durham may not be ranked as well but it sure is beautiful. I live near Bath - it's a good place to be a student (apart from the prices). A good friend of mine is starting at Bath to read computer sci and the course is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I know that for Manchester you will have to have ABB with B in maths, probably less for Reading? I think AAB and a good personal statement/reference will get you into most if not all of your list. However, you have Bath, Durham and Manchester on the same list - very different environments. Why not narrow down your choices by thinking about what kind of place you want to spend 3/4 years?
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

Ah, I know what you mean - I got to turn down Warwick - it was really satisfying! (I went to an open day and the tutors were mostly v. arrogant without bestowing much enthusiasm on their classes.) A real pleasure.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Durham is really nice, but according to some people the Uni is trying too hard to be like Oxbridge. Do u think that is a fair assumption? (that hasnt affected my decision)
Leekey
Hi, I have considered UCL but havent been there yet. What was wrong with it in your opinion?

Other Unis that I gonna apply to (all to do law at) will be Oxford, Warick, Durham, King's College London and maybe Manchester or Birmingham. Ne opinions over these Unis?

I wasn't much for the place in general, just didn't appel to my taste. The nightlife is supposed to be good (Im told) and a LOT of my friends say that they love it but I just couldn't get into the idea of me going there. I wouldn't let my opinion put you off though, as I probably have obscure taste in Uni's (just like my taste in other things).

Manchester is REALLY good. If you like a bit of a party (as well as hard work and all that) you should really like it. The entire city is great at night and th underground will get you wherever the hell you want to go very fast (and usually on time).

Durham is lovely, I have been told that Im completely stupid for applying there for Comp Sci (there not good for it) but I will almost certainly apply simply because I liked the place. The nightlife isn't great in Durham but your only a short ride from Newcastle which has THE BEST nightlife in the country. The colleges seem to appela to many people but I aren't that interested in them to be honest.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Durham is really nice, but according to some people the Uni is trying too hard to be like Oxbridge. Do u think that is a fair assumption? (that hasnt affected my decision)
I've heard from a girl I know that there are loads of rich kids at Durham that made her life hell because she wasn't loaded.
Leekey
(Original post by Haz)
Durham may not be ranked as well but it sure is beautiful. I live near Bath - it's a good place to be a student (apart from the prices). A good friend of mine is starting at Bath to read computer sci and the course is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I know that for Manchester you will have to have ABB with B in maths, probably less for Reading? I think AAB and a good personal statement/reference will get you into most if not all of your list. However, you have Bath, Durham and Manchester on the same list - very different environments. Why not narrow down your choices by thinking about what kind of place you want to spend 3/4 years?

I have heard of Reading giving offers ranging from ABB to BBC so I think they put a LOT of importance on other factors like your Personal Statement and "extra-curricular" activites to decide if you are suited. If I get ABB then (in theory) I would meet the requirements for all the Uni's on my list (although Bath prefer AAB).

I have thought at length about where I want to spend 3/4 years of my life. If you look at my list you may notice that the nightlife at almost all of the places is great (especially Reading & Nottingham). Other than that I think that I can adapt to anything, or I will spend 4 years being unhappy (not much of a change)...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I've heard from a girl I know that there are loads of rich kids at Durham that made her life hell because she wasn't loaded.
I hate arrogant T**ts! No offence to ne snobs reading, but if I was to encounter such people who still live in the middle ages I would have to arrrrrgh do something lol. And by the way, I am not from a Bolshey Working class background lol.
Leekey

I probably earn more than they do now (excluding thier trust-funds) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also I would probably derive pleasure from the hatred as underdog status seems to agree with me...

PS - I love working class status, I would give anything to earn £50k and still be labeled working class!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
although at Oxbridge snobs are inevitable
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
although at Oxbridge snobs are inevitable
Not really.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise