Sparta Global: honest reviews

Watch
Dthegreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have recetly had a call from this company asking me to go to an assesment day, i have not be able to find many reviews and as it is unpaid training for 7-8 weeks i am very wary. Really need a honest opinion of the company and what i should expect.
StudyingHelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

did you end up joining their training program ?

I know this is an old thread, however I'm thinking of applying but I've seen lots of negative reviews and I would like to get more details about what the training process is like ?

Thanks!
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You essentially have to have both programming skills and presentation skills, and in the training you're always learning new things. Likely to be unsuitable for those more used to programming or more used to presentation imo, and the unpaid training is just an excuse to not pay you (this company and fdm are the worst scroungers)
Gudal M
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many of the graduates in the Business Streams remain unplaced until the very end. In some cases, the graduates are not placed during the 90-day period between training and placement. I would like to add that during those 90 days the graduates are expected to come in once a week for a full working day, please consider that many of the graduates have been out of work for a minimum of 2 months. As a result, graduates tend to take on part-time jobs to survive, despite this they are expected to still come into the academy once a week. Sparta instills fear into graduates from the very beginning, most of these graduates are from BAME backgrounds who have low confidence in their abilities to secure a well-paying graduate job in IT. Sparta feeds into their insecurities and takes advantage of their vulnerability. They are simply a money-making machine!!!! The training period is best described as one long assessment day with weekly interviews and assessments. Graduates are expected to learn new things in a short space of time, this I don’t have an issue with. However, I do have an issue with the fact that they make the graduates feel like they will be kicked out of the programme if they fail an assessment, interview or don’t perform well. Despite passing all the assessments they threw at me and receiving good feedback at interviews, I was not placed. In terms of interviews, I had a few. However, only one of the interviews I failed hired a Sparta, I felt that most of them weren’t actual interviews more like a sales pitch to show them what they had on offer at the academy.I struggle to understand how Sparta promotes itself as an inclusive employer, considering that they take advantage of the most underprivileged graduates who have financial struggles. Imagine that these young motivated graduates from poor socio-economical areas or ethnic minority backgrounds enroll in this programme hoping that they will achieve social mobility, however many simply end up not being placed and depressed. My best advice would be to enroll and if you do not get placed do not be disheartened as there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep on preserving and applying for jobs. After finishing my 90-day placement period without being placed, I was offered IT roles in two FTSE 250 companies. Sparta was offering £21,000 in the first year but without them, I managed to get a more lucrative salary increase of £9,500. Please do not think you need them to help you find a job, the qualifications they offer in the Business Stream are not worth the headache as they cost less than £500 pound combined. I could add more, but I would suggest that you contact Spartans on LinkedIn and many will tell you to get out of the contract as soon as possible or not to apply at all. Overall, my experience was beyond disastrous and unnecessarily stressful. I would like to finish off by thanking Sparta for teaching me resilience if you can complete Sparta’s training you can do anything. They merely use you as a money-making machine. Lastly, find out how many Spartans stay after their two-year contract.
Lonely Dissident
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I did the C# SDET course from August to October 2019.

Advantages:
- Can give direction to those without.
- Fridge, microwave and free coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
- Fellow trainees.
- Satisfactory training.
- Some trainees get placed.

Disadvantages:
If you join, in Week One you will read the words "DON'T WASTE OTHER PEOPLE'S TIME" in capital letters on the board. They'll neglect to inform you, however, that respect only goes up the hierarchy, so management will gratuitously waste your time when they feel like it. To understand the disrespect shown by management towards trainees, it is helpful to look at Sparta's business model. Trainees are told they can only leave voluntarily if they pay ludicrous fees to cover the training, which in reality costs a fraction of what they say it does. To further lower costs, as many trainees as possible are squeezed into each room, which also means each possible client has a longer list to choose from. BAs who get placed get an average of £22,000 from Sparta over two years, while engineers get £24,000. Sparta does not reveal how much it receives from each client, but I suspect it's about £7,000 extra/year as that is around the market salary. This explains how Sparta can be a viable business with such a low placement rate. The trainees, many of whom are from poor backgrounds, quickly comprehend the dearth of interviews and begin to dread five months without income. Sparta doesn't provide any financial support, not even travel costs.

Sparta values sycophancy over honesty and effort. I was frequently lied to, spoken to disingenuously and made to wait unnecessarily. When I complained about management's hypocrisy, I was told off for being indiscreet. The Sales Team (so called because they sell the trainees to clients, I infer) are the worst offenders when it comes to the truth, but HR also pushes the lie that everyone gets placed. I suppose their job is to take care of the staff and trainees aren't staff, so, from this perspective, they're doing their jobs well. Half of my training was productive; the other half was wasted playing with Lego or sitting there cluelessly as the trainer worked on private, non-academy business. My trainer was a lazy hypocrite who behaved obsequiously towards his manager—naturally, some teachers are better than others.

Conclusion:
If you have no options, you may as well gamble by signing their dubious contract, but continue to apply elsewhere. After all, it works out well for some and if something better comes up (or the disrespect starts to matter more than the possibility of a placement) you could deliberately fail a test. In my experience the business stream has a placement rate of 1/4, while the engineering stream does better around 1/3. Some are kicked for subjective reasons, like "failing" a quality gate. Most are released after completing 2 months of training and 3 months on the bench.
Last edited by Lonely Dissident; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.95%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.9%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (161)
37.53%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise