The Student Room Group

Why do people turn off their 'read receipts' on texts?

I cannot really trust a girl who does this, am I stupid for thinking like this?

I have trust issues after being cheated on before and I really cannot think of any justifiable reason why anyone would turn OFF their read receipts if they weren't trying to hide something.

Currently talking with this girl who has it off and she seems so shady when we're texting, somtimes never replies or takes ages but we've been on dates and she seems interested.

Should I not let it get to me?

Scroll to see replies

Because they're the sort of people who see your text at 5, and don't reply until 10.
I see where you're coming from, but at the same time it is dangerous to read into read receipts and become obsessed with them. I almost never check unless I have a reason for doing so.
can't trust nobody
Cos usually I will open a message and reply later, especially if someone has sent me a long ass essay to respond to.
Reply 5
Not everybody has time to reply straight away and it looks rude if the person has seen you've read the message!!... Especially if you know that person is gonna reply straight away and talk you to death!! Il reply when im good and ready :biggrin:
I completely know where you are coming from, and it winds me up so much!!
Although I wouldn't cool things off or anything if she seems interested she probably is!
I never turn mine off, it really bothers me when I can't see the blue ticks -_-
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
Cos usually I will open a message and reply later, especially if someone has sent me a long ass essay to respond to.

Original post by ShoSho_
Not everybody has time to reply straight away and it looks rude if the person has seen you've read the message!!... Especially if you know that person is gonna reply straight away and talk you to death!! Il reply when im good and ready :biggrin:

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Because they're the sort of people who see your text at 5, and don't reply until 10.

I get that people want to reply later and that's fine. Though it gets to a point where people don't bother replying at all and tend to use it as a cheap way of blanking someone. Blank me but at least keep those blue ticks on so I don't have to waste my time talking to you anymore.
Original post by Darren A
I get that people want to reply later and that's fine. Though it gets to a point where people don't bother replying at all and tend to use it as a cheap way of blanking someone. Blank me but at least keep those blue ticks on so I don't have to waste my time talking to you anymore.

Sneks-I call 'em! :angry:
Reply 10

If you believe that she is intentionally blanking you then just ask her about it!! There have been plenty of times where i have read a message and genuinely forgot to reply!!...Never be afraid to double text and get that reply loool
Reply 11
I keep mine on, so someone can know I'm ignoring them lmao.

In general I reply as soon as I see it though
It gives me some time to reply I usually skim the messages that are sent to me so it would look rude.
Sometimes I read the message and then forget to reply/am not able to reply until later (for example, if I'm at work and someone texts me, I might quickly read it when I have time but I won't reply until my break.)

I never blank people though, and I'm actually an embarrassingly fast texter, lol. So really, it's just so people don't think I'm a bit of an arse if I don't reply as soon as the 'read' tick shows up.
There's plenty of justifiable reasons to have them off. Some people just want to do things in their own time and not have someone knowing exactly how long they took to reply and then getting annoyed that they're being 'ignored' or 'aren't important'. And tbh having them on doesn't make someone more trustworthy, you could easily be doing something you shouldn't while replying to a text...
I cannot really trust a girl who does this, am I stupid for thinking like this?

I have trust issues after being cheated on before and I really cannot think of any justifiable reason why anyone would turn OFF their read receipts if they weren't trying to hide something.

Currently talking with this girl who has it off and she seems so shady when we're texting, somtimes never replies or takes ages but we've been on dates and she seems interested.

Should I not let it get to me?

I would NEVER in my life cheat.
Yet i keep them off because sometimes(most of the times), I distance myself from people because I need to take a break from interacting, and when I "ignore" people's messages, they get angry at me. I explain to them that that is not the reason, that I need my space, yet they either don't believe me or they are not fine with it. So what i do is take out my last seen and turn off my read receipts.

The not replying you in ages may be a few things:
a) She's playing hard to get
b) Does not want to bother you
c) May be playing with you
d) Needs a break, might be going through some emotional stuff and doesn't really want to talk to anyone
Worst thread i have read..

People turn it off because some people read far too into the read receipts and don't want to upset or worry someone when they cant immediately reply because they have a job/college/hobbies.
Reply 17
how do i turn it off???
Original post by VikkiHanley
Worst thread i have read..

People turn it off because some people read far too into the read receipts and don't want to upset or worry someone when they cant immediately reply because they have a job/college/hobbies.

You make a fair point but there was no need to be arrogant at the start. You obviously don't get around much if this is the worst thread you've read.
OP: It could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps she has a friend or admirer that she is finding it difficult to say "no" to and they are obsessing over her reading their messages and not replying? Basically, it might not be (and probably isn't) anything to do with you, it just makes her life easier perhaps? Whatsapp is just another platform allowing others to see one's every move, except it has an "off" option - same as iMessage really. It's probably just personal preference.

If it's really bothering you, try and make a little joke of it when you next get an opportunity to see how she responds? Just don't make it sound like you're obsessing over/pressurising her! Quite the turn-off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending