Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to Spencer Wells for this information at medschoolguide... below is a recommended reading list for medicine (This is not the COMPLETE list!)...

Anatomy
    Dean, M.C & Pegigton, J. Core Anatomy for students. Vol 1 The limbs and vertebral column; Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis and perineum. W B Saunders 1995

Biochemistry (one of)
    Bender, D.A. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor and Francis, 2002.
    Champe, P.C. & Harvey, R.A. Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Biochemistry, 2nd edition, Lippincott-Raven, 1994

Cancer Biology
    King RJB. Cancer Biology, 2nd edition. Peardon Education, 2000

Clinical Skills
    Epstein O. Clinical Examination, 3rd edition. Mosby, 2003

Communication Skills
    Lloyd M & Bor R. Communication skills for medicine. Churchill Livingstone, 1999

Ethics & Law
    Hope, T; Savulescu, J; Hendrick, J. Medical Ethics and Law: the core curriculum, Churchill Livingstone, 2003

Evaluation of Evdence
    Petrie A, Sabi C. Medical statistics at a glance. Blackwell Science, 2000

Histology
    Young, B. and Heath, J.W. Wheater's Functional Histology, 4th edition, Churchill-Livingstone, 2000

Pharmacology
    Rang, HP. Dale, MM. Ritter, JM. More, PK. Pharmacology, 5th Edition, Churchill-Livingstone,2003.
    (personally, I prefer "Basic and Clinical Pharmacology" by Katzung)

Neuroscience
    Kingsley, RE. Concise text of Neuroscience, 2nd edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkin, 2000
    (not needed until the 2nd year)

Physiology
    Pockock, G. & Richards, C.D. Human Physiology - the Basis of Medicine, Oford Universiy Press, 1999

Pathology
    Lakhani, S.R., Dilly, S.A., & Finlayson, C.J. Basic Pathology: An Introduction to the Mechanisms of Disease. 2nd ed, Edward Arnold, 1998

Of course many of these books are availble in the library....

First year ESSENTIAL (taken from Spence Wells)

Well for the 1st year, the absolute minimum books that I would reccommend are:

Bender, D.A. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor and Francis, 2002.
    £22.99

Dean, M.C & Pegigton, J. Core Anatomy for students. Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis and perineum. W B Saunders 1995
    £15.99

Young, B. and Heath, J.W. Wheater's Functional Histology, 4th edition, Churchill-Livingstone, 2000
    £38.99

Pockock, G. & Richards, C.D. Human Physiology - the Basis of Medicine, Oford Universiy Press, 1999
    £35

giving a grand total of £112.97

Having a look at my bookshelf, I've spent £347.95, but I only need to get 1 more book for next year (a £50 neuroscience atlas)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.