The Student Room Group

Drowning in my A Levels

This is probably going to turn into a huge rant....
So I went to a below average secondary school, did well for me in my GCSEs and moved to a grammar school for sixth form. It was the worst decision of my life. I want to study biochemistry so I took Biology, Chem, Maths and Geography. I've dropped the Geography down to an AS. My teachers go so fast I can't keep up, I want to be studying the old content but I have so much homework I can't even look at anything else. Maths has never been my thing but I never thought it was this bad. I revised so much for a test in chemistry last week and still got a D. I'm saving for a gap year before uni so I work all weekend, so that's usually 14-15 hours a week, more than I should I know. I just feel so stressed all the time and I don't know how I'm going to learn maths before my AS exams, someone send help
Reply 1
Working might be affecting your progress tbh. Weekends are so useful! Why not dedicate all time to just study?

Anyway aside from that, make a study plan for the day the night before. Allows you to prioritise and also fit in AS revision where you can.
Original post by Wordnerd2
This is probably going to turn into a huge rant....
So I went to a below average secondary school, did well for me in my GCSEs and moved to a grammar school for sixth form. It was the worst decision of my life. I want to study biochemistry so I took Biology, Chem, Maths and Geography. I've dropped the Geography down to an AS. My teachers go so fast I can't keep up, I want to be studying the old content but I have so much homework I can't even look at anything else. Maths has never been my thing but I never thought it was this bad. I revised so much for a test in chemistry last week and still got a D. I'm saving for a gap year before uni so I work all weekend, so that's usually 14-15 hours a week, more than I should I know. I just feel so stressed all the time and I don't know how I'm going to learn maths before my AS exams, someone send help

I have my AS maths exams in may/june too!:smile: I only started revising a couple of days ago properly- but I've watched and made notes from exam solutions videos. Currently, I am doing past paper questions by topic from physics and maths tutor, then I'll do all the solomon papers, and then I'll do all the past papers (so effectively I'll be doing the past papers twice!):smile: I have the edexcel maths textbooks but I don't really like doing questions from them do I have the CGP revision guide and I do questions from them!:smile:

I do chemistry too; i do OCR A. I make all my notes (flashcards) from the OCR A textbook, the CGP revision guide and notes from chemrevise. Then I do the questions from the CGP book, and the practice questions from the textbook.:smile: In September I was getting D's- but now I am getting A's! I feel like chemistry and maths you just HAVE to put the work in!:smile:

And maybe you should cut your hours or just quit your job (one of my friends did this recently she worked 10 hrs per week and it was really stressing her out!):redface: Btw what dod you get in GCSE's and what exam board are you doing for chemistry?:smile: How did you revise for that test and was it effective?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest