Beginners interview for IT Support Engineer - Help!

Watch
r00190019
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help

Recently I applied for the job role of an IT Support Engineer (Junior Graduate)
I have tech experience but it's not really related to Powershell and IIS troubleshooting. My experience is more command line Unix based and Oracle/Excel based so I was surprised when I got the call for the interview

I will be given a 2 hour test on the day and the only information I have been given is the following:

'Formal technical interview – it will consist of questions around our core technologies; PowerShell, IIS (Windows webhosting and troubleshooting) and SQL Server. The session will last for 2 hours and is not a designed as a direct test of knowledge, but a test of problem solving in a technical environment.'

As a beginner what should I prepare for or the type of questions do you think may come up?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The receptionist, managing director, and software developer's mouse packs up at the same time. Which do you fix first?

Spoiler:
Show

Answer: They mice FFS. You should have a draw full of spare mice and will be able to get everyone back up and running within about 5 minutes.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
The receptionist, managing director, and software developer's mouse packs up at the same time. Which do you fix first?

Spoiler:
Show

Answer: They mice FFS. You should have a draw full of spare mice and will be able to get everyone back up and running within about 5 minutes.
I hope this is a joke and not a normal question you would get at a technical interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
I hope this is a joke and not a normal question you would get at a technical interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. I had that question in my first ever interview. And it is a good question. Most people would think in terms of priorities. The reality is that this isn't a particularly challenging scenario and technically, it is easy to solve all at the same time.

And you joke - this sort of thing happens in business all the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (128)
29.7%
No (303)
70.3%

Watched Threads