Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hope I can get some advice here from other members.

Next month I will have to choose 6 uni's to go to but with not so good AS grades (ACD) what unis do i have the best chance of being offered a place? I'm thinking of doing Business Management or something similar.

Currently I am thinking of applying to: Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds, Kings or Birmingham but their entry requirements are a bit high and I think I am most likely to drop a grade at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Aim high! You've nothing to loose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)

Next month I will have to choose 6 uni's to go to but with not so good AS grades (ACD) what unis do i have the best chance of being offered a place? I'm thinking of doing Business Management or something similar.

Currently I am thinking of applying to: Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds, Kings or Birmingham but their entry requirements are a bit high and I think I am most likely to drop a grade at A2.
    have a look at individual courses for these unis (there's a list on UCAS) and in the entry requirements there will be the grades you need. with something businessy there's bound to be a whole range of grades required- possibly select 1 lower that you can have as you insurance.

good luck!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Find out what your predicted A2 grades and if they match the grade requirements of the unis you are thinking of applying to. If they are lower, do remain optimistic but seriously consider if you are 'wasting' an application as many admissions tutors will instantly dismiss your application if your predicted grades are too low (Manchester will do this for definite as I talked to the admissions tutor about it). So basically, as lou said, make sure you have some insurance offers ready.

(Original post by *boo*)

Firstly - NEVER say that you are "likely to drop a grade" EVER again!!! You should be as positive as you can and set yourself a goal. For instance my goal for A-Level is to show one tutor in particular (who predicted me an E at AS) that I know my abilities better than him. My B at AS should go someway to doing this but I would love it if I could present him with an A next year.

Secondly - I agree with Pencil, you should aim as high as you think you are capable of going. Remember that you can resit some modules and improve you AS grades (which are good anyway). You are the only person that knows what you are capable of so only you can know where you are capable of getting into!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think most of those uni's ive listed need at least BBB.
    I will find out my predicted A2 grades next month when I go back
    to 6th form but it will probably be same as what I got for my AS.
    I don't want to apply to a uni nobody's heard of either so I don't want to
    go for ones with really low entry requirements.

I think Manchester sounds pretty good but if I get ABC and their requirement is BBB would they still reject me?

Do admission tutors find AS grades really important when offering a place?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if Manchester would reject you if you have a prediction of ABC because you could think of the A cancelling out the C but maybe you could ask a teacher or even e-mail the admissions tutor?

AS grades are an important factor but they are no means the most important factor. If you didn't do as well as you hoped you may have back up from good GCSE grades which reflect your potential more. Also you can gain points in the admissions tutors by scoring highly in other factors e.g. personal statement, reference etc. So it is definitely not be all, ends all.

(Original post by *boo*)
    I think most of those uni's ive listed need at least BBB.
    I will find out my predicted A2 grades next month when I go back
    to 6th form but it will probably be same as what I got for my AS.
    I don't want to apply to a uni nobody's heard of either so I don't want to
    go for ones with really low entry requirements.

I think Manchester sounds pretty good but if I get ABC and their requirement is BBB would they still reject me?

Do admission tutors find AS grades really important when offering a place?

If you can get you tutors to predict you grades that are equal or above those of the entry requirements then I see no reason why they wouldn't consider you application.

I think they would place more importance on predicted grades because they understand that you will have the oppourtunity to improve your AS grades. They also know that predicted grades are made by people who know your ability VERY well so they are more reliable than one exam.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't usually do well in exams. I prefer coursework. My GCSE results weren't that good either so I just have to write an outstanding personal statement and hope for good predicted A2 grades. What are the most important points to include in my personal statement? I've already written about my work experiences, hobbies and reasons for choosing the course.

I know the A2 course is a lot more demanding and even if I repeat my AS units, I would still fall back on my A2 exams.

Anyone know any good business schools apart from the ones ive listed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Aim high! You've nothing to loose.

But make sure you have an insurance choice that gives an offer you are likely to meet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)

#

I'm looking at the same course, though my first choice is economics and management at Oxford. Might I suggest as an insurance at the least going for OXford Brookes, as they are meant to be good at Business Management, and make fairly low offers.

Phil

Edit - meant to add Warwick is a well good Business school, but they are very competitive, likewise for Bath and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if you haven't included it you could say what factors have influenced your choice of course e.g. any lectures or courses attended, relevant books or articles read.

Maybe prepare yourself well for the new term in the subjects you didn't do so well in so you can impress your teachers to up your predicted grade if necessary - always worth a go. All the unis you listed sound pretty good and I'm sure you'll be happy in any one of them, good luck and get optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen needs CCC which I think is manageable so I probably will use that for insurance. Don't know much about Oxford Brookes but I would prefer to study in a big city. Anywhere in London would be nice as well. Still looking for a first choice.

(Original post by *boo*)
    Aberdeen needs CCC which I think is manageable so I probably will use that for insurance. Don't know much about Oxford Brookes but I would prefer to study in a big city. Anywhere in London would be nice as well. Still looking for a first choice.

If you like lovely scenery and genuinely nice people, then Aberdeen would be perfect for you. The Uni is great and it is rated quite highly as well.

You have missed a VERY good business school off your list there - Newcastle University.

Noy only is it one of the best universities in the country, it is n a FANTASTIC city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    #

I'm looking at the same course, though my first choice is economics and management at Oxford. Might I suggest as an insurance at the least going for OXford Brookes, as they are meant to be good at Business Management, and make fairly low offers.

Phil

Edit - meant to add Warwick is a well good Business school, but they are very competitive, likewise for Bath and Southampton.
    My Dad did an MBA a couple of years ago from Warwick Business school, they are the best in the country for MBAs by some way.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    My Dad did an MBA a couple of years ago from Warwick Business school, they are the best in the country for MBAs by some way.

Tis' an opinion NOT fact !!!

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.