Turn on thread page Beta

What Ken Boston says about the stolen and sold AQA and Edexcel papers watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just scanning through the Daily Telegraph and saw the interview with Ken Boston, the head of QCA, who said that "the boards have been checking the results of candidates in areas where the papers were for sale and comparing marks with previous scores at AS level and teachers' predictions"

In my own opinion this is kinda fair, but not completely, because some teachers do understimate students. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    I was just scanning through the Daily Telegraph and saw the interview with Ken Boston, the head of QCA, who said that "the boards have been checking the results of candidates in areas where the papers were for sale and comparing marks with previous scores at AS level and teachers' predictions"

In my own opinion this is kinda fair, but not completely, because some teachers do understimate students. What do you think?
    I think its probably the best that they can do under the circumstances and I suppose there are also a number of teachers who overestimate students. I think using previous grades is probably going to be fairly accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Seems okay by me. The predicted and finals are not often out by more than a grade or so. The cheateing will be obvious when they cet Ds or Cs than an A. If there were allready getting As and Bs then their gain by cheating will be smaller anyway.
    Can't see any other way myself. Indiviudal treatement on a case-by-case basis will occur - I presume and the option of a complaint will remain open, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    What about the internet?

ReputationRep:
    Ageed that this is the best they can do but it is quite flawed. An example would be that at GCSE i was predicted a C and didnt do very well in alot of the mock exams in Maths.....Yet come the ACTUAL results i ended up getting an A. This was mainly due to my disappointment of the poor results and actual revising ALOT, no cheating involved so pretty much im trying to say it is possible for alot of accusations of cheating being totally wrong and hence seriously messing up alot of people university applications if they ARE accused of cheating when they legitimately did it off their own back.

They pretty much have to have indisputable evidenece that cheating took place in my opinion and that is pretty hard to do. This could end up as an even bigger enbarrassment for the exam boards if they don't handle it properly, and can't say i have any faith in them to do so.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2004
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.