The Student Room Group

A-levels for medicine - without biology?! and Business or Economics?

I want to pick Maths, Chemistry and Business Studies. However, I want to have the option to do medicine but HATE biology - not because of any reason but that the content boressss me (though have been offered a place on my college's medical course as a separate certificate). I also want to have the option of going down the business/finance route. So two questions:
1) Will I have the option to go down the medicine route without a-level biology?
2) Is it better to pick business or economics (without having done gcse economics)?
Reply 1
Original post by Zay123
I want to pick Maths, Chemistry and Business Studies. However, I want to have the option to do medicine but HATE biology - not because of any reason but that the content boressss me (though have been offered a place on my college's medical course as a separate certificate). I also want to have the option of going down the business/finance route. So two questions:
1) Will I have the option to go down the medicine route without a-level biology?
2) Is it better to pick business or economics (without having done gcse economics)?

(though have been offered a place on my college's medical course as a separate certificate).

Elaborate on that please.
For finance, degree or a levels do not matter, as long as you get good grades.

Also, pick Economics. It's much more respected. I done both, and Economics generally has more intelligent and smarter students in class.
If you don't like biology I'm not sure if you'll enjoy medicine, but yes some unis only require chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fxlloutboyy
If you don't like biology I'm not sure if you'll enjoy medicine, but yes some unis only require chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, I actually really enjoy learning about the body but at the open day they gave as a summary of the syllabus... it's literally 2 years of analysing leaves :angry: is it worth taking biology anyway?
Reply 5
Original post by glebp
For finance, degree or a levels do not matter, as long as you get good grades.

Also, pick Economics. It's much more respected. I done both, and Economics generally has more intelligent and smarter students in class.

Thanks, if I don't take biology I'll go for that. Is economics a-level much harder than gcse business (which is superrrrr easy)?
Reply 6
You'll have a lot more universities to pick from if you do biology, there's just a few that only require chemistry for medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by RKM21
(though have been offered a place on my college's medical course as a separate certificate).

Elaborate on that please.

With the new a-level structure, most sixth forms/colleges only offer 3 a-level choices but some allow or (e.g. the one I've applied too) require you to take a course alongside. They give you a booklet at the interview of 'pathway' options to go alongside your a-level results, and I'm pretty sure accounts for ucas points - should be helpful whether I apply for medicine or not. For the medicine pathway, on one day a week you are visited by a lecturer or doctor at college, but I don't know many other details.
Reply 8
Original post by rm.25
You'll have a lot more universities to pick from if you do biology, there's just a few that only require chemistry for medicine.

True, but is biology a-level really as bad as the open days make it look? Literally just leavesssssssssssss
Original post by Zay123
Thanks, if I don't take biology I'll go for that. Is economics a-level much harder than gcse business (which is superrrrr easy)?

Yes it's harder than gcse business. when you do a level economics, you're going to know all these curves and 20 other diagrams a long with this one:

Reply 10
Original post by Zay123
True, but is biology a-level really as bad as the open days make it look? Literally just leavesssssssssssss

But if it gives you a better chance of getting into to medicine...... Most sixth forms let you change course within the first couple of weeks of year 12 if you don't like a subject you're doing sooo maybe just give biology a try and if you don't like it change to something else??
You can still do medicine as you have two compulsory subjects Chemistry and Maths. As long as you don't drop those, you can get into medicine
Reply 12
I do both economics and business studies and I really enjoy both of them actually... I haven't done economics GCSE but the A-level is going good so far yet there is a lot of logic and studying as all the A-levels do, so if you think you will enjoy them I think you should choose them, I am not really a science person so i wont be able to comment on biology A-level itself but if you are thinking of medicine I think it might be good to have some knowledge, good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by glebp
Yes it's harder than gcse business. when you do a level economics, you're going to know all these curves and 20 other diagrams a long with this one:

That is not one of the diagrams I learnt at A level in economics (and is also not really that accurate as it fails to distinguish between the short and long runs)
Original post by Zay123
Thanks for the reply, I actually really enjoy learning about the body but at the open day they gave as a summary of the syllabus... it's literally 2 years of analysing leaves :angry: is it worth taking biology anyway?

Actually the majority of a level biology is human - it's a small proportion that is leaves and I find that bit boring too. I still love my biology a level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest