The Student Room Group

Academic referees

I'm applying to do a postgrad degree in Psychology. I need to submit at least one academic reference - even though both my current employers have offered to write one for me. I graduated uni in 2014 - I'm no longer in touch with any of my old tutors and I have no idea how to approach asking them for a reference...any ideas or suggestions would be so welcome, as I am utterly stumped! Thanks
Send whichever tutor/lecturer/professor you got along with best (and/or achieved the best results under) an email? That's pretty much the standard approach. They'll have experienced this before so it won't seem as alien a concept to them as it does to you.
Original post by cuileann
I'm applying to do a postgrad degree in Psychology. I need to submit at least one academic reference - even though both my current employers have offered to write one for me. I graduated uni in 2014 - I'm no longer in touch with any of my old tutors and I have no idea how to approach asking them for a reference...any ideas or suggestions would be so welcome, as I am utterly stumped! Thanks

How to approach them? Contact a few tutors who you got along with well or who tutor a course related to the postgraduate degree in Psychology which you are about to take. Introduce yourself to them (I am sure they may have a hard time remembering you, but this is important). Explain to them that you need their help, by means of a reference letter. Explain the form in which the letter should take- email or hard-copy letter. Give them as much information as possible. You should get some positive response.
Reply 3
Original post by cuileann

As previous posters have said, emailing is the standard first approach. Providing references is a normal part of uni staff work. Introduce yourself - tell them what course you were on and when you graduated. I used my course leader and my dissertation supervisor. If your diss supervisor would be a good choice (and they will have direct experience of you as a more independent student), then remind them of your diss topic and title to see if that jogs their memory.

If all else fails, your old faculty's Admin department should be able to find a member of staff to write a reference from your academic record. However this will naturally be more generic and less specific than one written by someone who might remember you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending