iBearHQ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forums.

I'm set to pick my GCSE options in around two weeks time and I'm struggling with what to do, so far I have Computer Science and Spanish that I am definitely doing.

I am stuck with picking two other choices, I've narrowed it down to these four:
History vs Geography (I enjoy both but browsing this forum I've seen people say the regret taking geography, why is that?)

Triple Science vs Business Studies (Again, I enjoy both of these but as Computer Science counts as a science wouldn't I technically be doing triple science if I took combined science + computer science)
eleanorcarol
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iBearHQ)

I'm set to pick my GCSE options in around two weeks time and I'm struggling with what to do, so far I have Computer Science and Spanish that I am definitely doing.

History vs Geography (I enjoy both but browsing this forum I've seen people say the regret taking geography, why is that?)

Triple Science vs Business Studies (Again, I enjoy both of these but as Computer Science counts as a science wouldn't I technically be doing triple science if I took combined science + computer science)
Hello, I take history gcse at the moment and would suggest it as an option, I really enjoy it but both of the subjects are good to do, although in geography there are a lot of case studies to remember.
As for the other two, triple science would probably be more useful, especially if you want to do any of the sciences at A-level, it really gives you a head start. Computer science wouldn't technically count as a third, as you'd only get a gcse in core and additional science.
But at the end of the day, choose the subjects you enjoy most! Hope this helps
iBearHQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by eleanorcarol)
Hello, I take history gcse at the moment and would suggest it as an option, I really enjoy it but both of the subjects are good to do, although in geography there are a lot of case studies to remember.
As for the other two, triple science would probably be more useful, especially if you want to do any of the sciences at A-level, it really gives you a head start. Computer science wouldn't technically count as a third, as you'd only get a gcse in core and additional science.
But at the end of the day, choose the subjects you enjoy most! Hope this helps
With history there are quite a few dates to remember, right? My brother currently takes A-Level Geography and he said that the teacher aren't too bad (neither are the history teachers as I've had them for a few years) and he is easily able to do well in tests.
Antonia Jane
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do history and the sciences. My son did history, biology and chemistry as 3 of his GCSE options. He also did Spanish as we live in Spain! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iBearHQ
Rep:
?
Something quick to add, I want to end up doing some sort of Computer Science degree (most likely will be taking this subject for A-Level as well)
BrainyBengali
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The History vs Geo debate - to really make things simple - they're both very long with many essay questions, sources, dates/case studies etc. and all about exam technique and therefore past question practice, and looking at what the mark scheme wants. But from the general consensus, a lot of people found Geo 'easier' - depends all upon the person, of course. Both equally respectable and depends on what you'd like to possibly do for A-Level (essay subjects for things like Law for example) and which you think you can do better in.

I'd advise the triple science - computer science, while named so, is not a 'science' as such. At our grammar sch, triple sci was compulsory and some people also did Computing too so hats not a problem - but it is very demanding and very challenging, so research what you're getting yourself into. Then again, business is quite simple and you could find it quite simple to get a good grade in, probably more so than the sciences.
See whether you'd like to carry on with science now or at a later date, and take it from there.

At the end of the day, choose what you'd like to do best, and what you think you can get the best grades in.
Being realistic (the truth is harsh) - people will ask what you got, not what you got them in, and even unis don't really care about what subjects you did specifically as long as you have that optimal number of high grades :/
Do what you like, what you're good at, and give yourself the easiest path, while not narrowing your options down too much - some subjects require GCSE sciences for example, so keep A-level in mind too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
eleanorcarol
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
With history there are quite a few dates to remember, right? My brother currently takes A-Level Geography and he said that the teacher aren't too bad (neither are the history teachers as I've had them for a few years) and he is easily able to do well in tests.
Yeah there are quite a few dates, but it's really not a central part of the course. I'll be honest, I cannot tell you the exact dates of both world wars because I never actually learnt them, yet I got 100% in my controlled assessment and get A*'s in tests so don't stress on that as a deciding factor of which to do.
But geography is also really good, some people find it a bit easier but it's really down to the person. Just go with the one you enjoy most and you'll do fine in it, because you are bound to do well in a subject you're passionate in.
Jackiemolena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in year 11 currently, and I believe that thou should just take the subjects you enjoy. There might be a lot of work, but so is there in every subject. If you enjoy the subject, you should find it enjoyable to do. For example, I took Latin because I absolutely love it. There is a lot of work involved, but I'm genuinely interested in the subject. Take what you enjoy, because at the end of the day you'll be more motivated to do well in the subjects you enjoy than the ones you take because you feel it's necessary! (I didn't take any humanities and am doing a half gcse in rs)
SGSComputerGeek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in your situation, and I'm going to do Graphic Design, Computer Science and Geography as well as French. I chose geog because there are plenty more interesting places you can research and visit (I went to Iceland) and the work is easily manageable.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
asthenophobia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You say you want to do something Computer Science based. I used to be this way before I went into Psychology, but that was quite recent. (I'm year 11)

Let me tell you something. To get into Imperial Uni, you do not need Computing A-Level/GCSE. You just need amazing Maths. At Uni, you will restart the course from scratch. Sure, it'd give you a headstart but it's not necessary.

All my life I was certain I wanted to do Computing, but things changed for me recently. If you take Computing and not Science, you're leaving yourself a very narrow road with not a lot of room to change. Remember that.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Do triple science and history. i did geography and history last year at the same time, and i found history easier, as geography had 12 units to learn and there were 3 exam papers + coursework and the work load was too much and the work load for history is a bit less and its more interesting then learning about rivers and oceans.Triple science will be beneficial if your taking a science a level, and its a good gcse option and business is seen as a soft subject and is quite useless.
iBearHQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by asthenophobia)
You say you want to do something Computer Science based. I used to be this way before I went into Psychology, but that was quite recent. (I'm year 11)

Let me tell you something. To get into Imperial Uni, you do not need Computing A-Level/GCSE. You just need amazing Maths. At Uni, you will restart the course from scratch. Sure, it'd give you a headstart but it's not necessary.

All my life I was certain I wanted to do Computing, but things changed for me recently. If you take Computing and not Science, you're leaving yourself a very narrow road with not a lot of room to change. Remember that.
Are you recommending doing Science for GCSE or A-Level?
asthenophobia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you recommending doing Science for GCSE or A-Level?
GCSE

At A-Level don't they split into Biology, Chemistry and Physics? For my GCSE, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics as compulsory subjects.
xhorseloverx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Business Studies is badly regarded by universities. Do you have Economics available to you? If not I'd say stick with Triple. History is probably more academic but if you like science then go with Geography. Having said that, Computer Science, Triple and Geography could be a bit overwhelming so history could give you a break from science. However, I have also heard how taking all science subjects (bar your language of course) can really help the brain stay switched on to science. So I'm not sure - just do whatever you think will let you pursue a good career and also subjects that you enjoy! Hope I've helped.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the tag terrorist
iBearHQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by xhorseloverx)
Business Studies is badly regarded by universities. Do you have Economics available to you? If not I'd say stick with Triple. History is probably more academic but if you like science then go with Geography. Having said that, Computer Science, Triple and Geography could be a bit overwhelming so history could give you a break from science. However, I have also heard how taking all science subjects (bar your language of course) can really help the brain stay switched on to science. So I'm not sure - just do whatever you think will let you pursue a good career and also subjects that you enjoy! Hope I've helped.
Thanks this helped a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads