The Student Room Group

Westminster School

Hi, I got accepted into Westminster school and I am quite excited. I was wondering whether anyone knows about what the school is like to be in, how much extra work is there, how pressurised it is, etc.
Hey there, I was at Westminster for the last 5 years and I'm now midway through my gap year, going to Imperial in October. First thing I'll say is, going to Westminster was one of the best things I've ever done. Not only do they get great results every year, with virtually all of my friends either going to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE etc but the experiences you get there are incredible. It's something that's quite hard to explain but Westminster isn't the "hothouse" that it's often perceived to be. If anything the run up to exams always felt quite relaxed; teachers are never on your back to do things because everyone is generally pretty self-motivated. The atmosphere at the school was, for me, really great. I had great relationships with my teachers they often took us out for coffee mid-lesson or took us to the park to sit and chat about a topic. But the best thing about Westminster its general atmosphere which really seemed to just broaden my knowledge; not of the subjects I was studying but mainly of my general interests. I find I can easily hold pace in conversation about philosophy or art despite being a science nerd! And despite what people think, most people there really are just normal kids its not some sort of Bullingdon Club feeder group! Do as many of the societies and clubs as you can, get involved with sport and drama - its a fantastic opportunity you'll have a great time!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by peoplespeople
Hey there, I was at Westminster for the last 5 years and I'm now midway through my gap year, going to Imperial in October. First thing I'll say is, going to Westminster was one of the best things I've ever done. Not only do they get great results every year, with virtually all of my friends either going to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE etc but the experiences you get there are incredible. It's something that's quite hard to explain but Westminster isn't the "hothouse" that it's often perceived to be. If anything the run up to exams always felt quite relaxed; teachers are never on your back to do things because everyone is generally pretty self-motivated. The atmosphere at the school was, for me, really great. I had great relationships with my teachers they often took us out for coffee mid-lesson or took us to the park to sit and chat about a topic. But the best thing about Westminster its general atmosphere which really seemed to just broaden my knowledge; not of the subjects I was studying but mainly of my general interests. I find I can easily hold pace in conversation about philosophy or art despite being a science nerd! And despite what people think, most people there really are just normal kids its not some sort of Bullingdon Club feeder group! Do as many of the societies and clubs as you can, get involved with sport and drama - its a fantastic opportunity you'll have a great time!

Thanks a lot for your advice! Getting involved is my number one priority because I don't know anyone there as well xD
I've been studying in Westminster for the last three years, and I'm in your year group. If it turns out we have the same name...

It's a great school, and props for getting in. Main thing is to get involved as said earlier, and get your priorities sorted out quick - everything's done very quickly at Westminster so get work done at a steady rate so that you don't find you've got a mountain of work to do in a day. Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by s_sharma.01
I've been studying in Westminster for the last three years, and I'm in your year group. If it turns out we have the same name...

It's a great school, and props for getting in. Main thing is to get involved as said earlier, and get your priorities sorted out quick - everything's done very quickly at Westminster so get work done at a steady rate so that you don't find you've got a mountain of work to do in a day. Good luck!

:biggrin: I guess I will probably see you in the future then. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending