#throwbackThursday A Year in News: February 2016

Watch
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Another year later, and what did we do back in February 2016?

Cambridge University to introduce written admissions tests
The most viewed thread of February last year, and for very good reason as it is something likely to be close to the hearts of a lot of TSR users, Cambridge were introducing written admissions tests either before or during interview. The tests were to be tailored, and would provide admissions tutors with additional evidence as to a student’s capability, to help with decision making. They argued this was needed with upcoming exam changes, and students no longer sitting AS Levels followed by A Levels - Cambridge considered AS Levels to be the best predictor of how a student would perform. Views were mixed on if this was a good step or not, with some users feeling it was almost inevitable that one of the UK’s top flight universities would introduce something of the sort before long.
With the exams due to start this autumn 2017, do you think you’re going to have to sit one? Did this decision make you more or less likely to want to apply to Cambridge?

Government will prosecute students who don’t repay student loans
Another thread that we’re not surprised to see in the top threads from the month - The Independent reported on the additional measures the government were to take to track down those who don’t pay back their student loans. The article was pointed out to be initially a little misleading - no change in the law was being actioned, and you wouldn’t be pursued for not paying back if you never reached the minimum threshold for repayment, as they can’t change the terms of your loan retrospectively. The move applied to those who leave the UK without setting up terms to pay the loans back.
Phew! What a relief.

Should lasers be banned in the UK?
The BBC reported that the British Pilots Association were calling for a blanket ban on lasers following incidents where they have been shone into eyes during take-off and landing - potentially a very dangerous thing indeed. The poll results disagreed with the Association then, with 65% of you saying that they shouldn’t be banned (correct at the time of writing). The main topic of debate compared the lasers with guns and similar, stating that they didn’t have much use besides causing problems, but being countered with the argument that the many shouldn’t be punished for the actions of the few.
Of course, there was also a cute cat gif to illustrate one of the uses that exists for a laser.

Should junior doctors continue to strike?
After it being the big talking point of January, the junior doctor contracts issue continued into the second month of 2016. The poll results still showed support for the junior doctors though, with nearly 70% of respondents voting that they should carry on until they got the deal they wanted. In January, members were worried that the public opinion would quickly begin to sway from the junior doctors if they continued with their strike action, but at least for us and at least in February, that hadn’t happened.

Does 2017 seem to be going as quickly as 2016 did? I sure can’t believe it’s March already! Check back next month to see what we were talking about in March of 2016!

Click here for January's thread!
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't believe all these were over a year ago now! Time definitely flies :moon:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (55)
28.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.85%
No I am happy with my choice (106)
55.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise