The Student Room Group

Need some essential info on applying to Oxford

Hello everyone. Please help me out by addressing the following queries.

1. I'm currently enrolled in an international foundation year program in the business route at Leeds International Study Centre (StudyGroup). Will this degree be sufficient to apply to the E&M undergrad program at Oxford? If yes, what percentage of marks will suffice for a successful application?

2. I did not have good grades in high school. Will that affect my chances, or will getting good grades in the foundation program make up for that?

3. I worked for four years after high school before joining this foundation program. Will the gap affect my chances? Will the work experience work in my favor?

4. I will be applying to other universities by the 17th of March, which is the UCAS deadline for September entry (I think). Do you recommend I apply to Oxford via UCAS alongside my other applications? Or should I just wait until a UCAS deadline that's closer to the Oxford deadline of 15th October?

5. Does being an international student affect my chances?

6. Lastly, please provide any advice that you may have on applying to Oxford's E&M program. A detailed set of instructions on applying would be very helpful. And if there are any other important questions that I should be asking but are not on this list, please do tell.

Thank you.
Original post by ahnafakeef
Hello everyone. Please help me out by addressing the following queries.

1. I'm currently enrolled in an international foundation year program in the business route at Leeds International Study Centre (StudyGroup). Will this degree be sufficient to apply to the E&M undergrad program at Oxford? If yes, what percentage of marks will suffice for a successful application?

2. I did not have good grades in high school. Will that affect my chances, or will getting good grades in the foundation program make up for that?

3. I worked for four years after high school before joining this foundation program. Will the gap affect my chances? Will the work experience work in my favor?

4. I will be applying to other universities by the 17th of March, which is the UCAS deadline for September entry (I think). Do you recommend I apply to Oxford via UCAS alongside my other applications? Or should I just wait until a UCAS deadline that's closer to the Oxford deadline of 15th October?

5. Does being an international student affect my chances?

6. Lastly, please provide any advice that you may have on applying to Oxford's E&M program. A detailed set of instructions on applying would be very helpful. And if there are any other important questions that I should be asking but are not on this list, please do tell.

Thank you.

Hi
I can help you with point 4, as I'm not certain with regards to the others. UCAS is not a rolling process, and each cycle lasts from September in the year before you start study, all the way up until clearing the following summer.

UCAS opens for 2018/19 entry in September of this year. I.e. you would not be going to oxford until October 2018. You can not now apply to Oxford for 2017 entry.

I say this because I presume if your applying in March 2017 for other choices you are aiming to start your course in September. If not, I would advise you apply all in the same cycle (17/18).

Hope this makes sense.
Original post by ahnafakeef
Please help me out by addressing the following queries.... A detailed set of instructions on applying would be very helpful. And if there are any other important questions that I should be asking but are not on this list, please do tell.

Thank you.

:K:

I'll give you some advice for 2 and 5. Poor grades at the end of your secondary education will be a factor they take into account when assessing your application, though they will be more interested in your more recent academic performance than what went before it, and place consequently greater weight on the result you get in your current course.

5 - No, it makes no difference. You will be assessed on your ability and potential, like all other students who apply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Constantinople
Hi
I can help you with point 4, as I'm not certain with regards to the others. UCAS is not a rolling process, and each cycle lasts from September in the year before you start study, all the way up until clearing the following summer.

UCAS opens for 2018/19 entry in September of this year. I.e. you would not be going to oxford until October 2018. You can not now apply to Oxford for 2017 entry.

I say this because I presume if your applying in March 2017 for other choices you are aiming to start your course in September. If not, I would advise you apply all in the same cycle (17/18).

Hope this makes sense.

It does. Thank you for the explanation. I think I'm going to apply for my September 2017 entry courses by the March deadline. And then apply separately to Oxford if I still want to by their October 15th deadline.
Original post by Reality Check
:K:

I'll give you some advice for 2 and 5. Poor grades at the end of your secondary education will be a factor they take into account when assessing your application, though they will be more interested in your more recent academic performance than what went before it, and place consequently greater weight on the result you get in your current course.

5 - No, it makes no difference. You will be assessed on your ability and potential, like all other students who apply.

Yeah, I figured that bad high school grades would matter at least to some extent. I just hope that my foundation program grades are good enough to make up for that. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending