Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Psychiatrist? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Does anybody know how you go about training to be a psychiatrist? and if there is any vacancies, i have never seen any information!!!

    You certainly need to become a doctor first, then specialise.

    Medical degree - PRHO in med and surg- SHO (phyc possible but not essential) - SpR - consultant
    Plenty of openings - not the most popular speciality.
    There is not much private work but you can retire at 55! - full pension

    You have to go to univeristy and train as a doctor and then specialise in psychiatry. On the jobs front i think its pretty good as it is for doctors in general, and there is quite a lot of private work you can do on the side to boost your income (as if a consultants income needs boosting...!)
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2004
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.