Durham postgraduate offer holders 2017

Watch
IGR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all!

I couldn't find a dedicated discussion for Durham postgraduate applicants/offer holders to start in 2017 so I thought I would start one!

My name is Imogen, and I am applying for an MA in Modern Theology, with the hope of then going forwards for a PhD. I have an unconditional offer (I finished my undergrad at Oxford last year) and received the email regarding college choice yesterday. Very exciting!

I am hoping to get into St Chad's and am really excited to join. I have received offers from Edinburgh for two courses and am waiting for Oxford. But I am originally from County Durham and so Durham - being close to home again and being great for Theology - is my top choice I think!

What is everyone else applying for?

What college are you thinking of choosing?

Where else have you applied and is Durham your top choice?
igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi!

I'm Denise and I have an offer to do an MRes in Psychology. I'm interested in either St Chad's or Ustinov but don't know which would be better suited for me. I'm 21, very research focused as I'd like to proceed to a PhD too, and would like to be closer to the city centre, however I am aware that Durham is quite small so the walk wouldn't even be too far from anywhere.

What made you choose St Chad's?

I'm considering applying to Cambridge but will need to accept this offer first before doing so, as I'm worried I might miss the deadline. (I got the offer 4 days ago).
IGR
Rep:
?
(Original post by igcsecrazy)
Hi!

I'm Denise and I have an offer to do an MRes in Psychology. I'm interested in either St Chad's or Ustinov but don't know which would be better suited for me. I'm 21, very research focused as I'd like to proceed to a PhD too, and would like to be closer to the city centre, however I am aware that Durham is quite small so the walk wouldn't even be too far from anywhere.

What made you choose St Chad's?

I'm considering applying to Cambridge but will need to accept this offer first before doing so, as I'm worried I might miss the deadline. (I got the offer 4 days ago).
Hey Denise!
Congrats on the offer. I chose St Chad's for quite a few reasons. It is the smallest college in Durham but has the biggest proportion of postgrads. Also unlike a lot of the other colleges it has a dedicated MCR for postgrads and dedicated accommodation which is still very near the city centre. They have a large staff including academic tutors and do a lot of interdisciplinary talks and discussions which I like the look of.

On a more personal level for theology, they have roots in the Anglican tradition and have a lot of materials at the college for theology and philosophy. Despite being such a small college they have 8 reading rooms/small libraries including one dedicated to theology.

I did my undergrad at Oxford and loved being in a small small college community (I was at St Peter's) where I could mix between undergrads, postgrads and tutors easily. Ustinov looks great too and there is something to be said about a postgrad community. I however was slightly concerned that in a postgrad only college it might be a bit intense and I really want to be in the city at a more traditional college. Also only being 22 myself I wanted the opportunity to be among postgrads but also third years of undergrad etc. I was slightly concerned Ustinov would be more suited for a more mature student.

I have accepted my Durham offer but am waiting to hear back from Oxford still. You can always drop out of an offer if you get another one you would prefer. I would recommend to just apply to Cambridge and see where it gets you!

I hope that's helpful
IceCool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello - I have accepted my offer to study MA in International Relations starting in October. What are most people doing for accommodation? I'm not sure about living in the colleges as it seems quite expensive.
AnaKWildness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there! I got an unconditional offer for a PhD program but I'm still waiting for the scholarship results. In the meantime, I've received another scholarship offer but its deadline is one day before Durham scholarship results... What should I do? Ask the other institution to wait one more day? (Is it appropriate?) Or accept the other offer and if I got the scholarship at Durham change?
IGR
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnaKWildness)
Hi there! I got an unconditional offer for a PhD program but I'm still waiting for the scholarship results. In the meantime, I've received another scholarship offer but its deadline is one day before Durham scholarship results... What should I do? Ask the other institution to wait one more day? (Is it appropriate?) Or accept the other offer and if I got the scholarship at Durham change?
I would just accept and wait for durham too? I accepted three offers because I had to accept before deadlines and I think it is quite straightforward to drop out of offers if one you prefer comes along. Is Durham your favourite choice if you get the scholarships?
IGR
Rep:
?
(Original post by IceCool)
Hello - I have accepted my offer to study MA in International Relations starting in October. What are most people doing for accommodation? I'm not sure about living in the colleges as it seems quite expensive.
I am hoping to get college accommodation but self catered as it is cheaper. I'm not sure about others?
AnaKWildness
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IGR)
I would just accept and wait for durham too? I accepted three offers because I had to accept before deadlines and I think it is quite straightforward to drop out of offers if one you prefer comes along. Is Durham your favourite choice if you get the scholarships?
Hi! Well, I haven't thought about that option yet because I thought I was 'obliged' to choose and accept just the one I would later attend so I was (I am!) so stressed because first I all I didn't have a clear idea of my fav one and because I wanted all the answers from scholarships back before making a decision. Yet, if you say that you've accepted 3 offers because of deadlines now I don't see where the problem could be (at least, maybe that university where you accept and then decline could be a bit angry, but it's your own happiness we're dealing with, right).

And so I have tried to figure out my first choice and I have recently come to understand that it's Durham for tons of reasons. So I really want that scholarship now. It's gonna be a hard fortnight I guess.
stuvetus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IGR)
Hey Denise!
Congrats on the offer. I chose St Chad's for quite a few reasons. It is the smallest college in Durham but has the biggest proportion of postgrads. Also unlike a lot of the other colleges it has a dedicated MCR for postgrads and dedicated accommodation which is still very near the city centre. They have a large staff including academic tutors and do a lot of interdisciplinary talks and discussions which I like the look of.

On a more personal level for theology, they have roots in the Anglican tradition and have a lot of materials at the college for theology and philosophy. Despite being such a small college they have 8 reading rooms/small libraries including one dedicated to theology.

I did my undergrad at Oxford and loved being in a small small college community (I was at St Peter's) where I could mix between undergrads, postgrads and tutors easily. Ustinov looks great too and there is something to be said about a postgrad community. I however was slightly concerned that in a postgrad only college it might be a bit intense and I really want to be in the city at a more traditional college. Also only being 22 myself I wanted the opportunity to be among postgrads but also third years of undergrad etc. I was slightly concerned Ustinov would be more suited for a more mature student.

I have accepted my Durham offer but am waiting to hear back from Oxford still. You can always drop out of an offer if you get another one you would prefer. I would recommend to just apply to Cambridge and see where it gets you!

I hope that's helpful
Hi IGR, I am a current Oxford postgraduate, with a standing PhD offer from Durham. I expect to receive an offer from Oxford as well, and am waiting to hear back about scholarships before deciding. I was not aware that you could drop out after accepting an offer; I have yet to accept the Durham one and have recently received a prompt reminding me to accept it and get started on applying for colleges etc. Would you suggest accepting it right now? What would be the rationale? Do good colleges get filled up quickly like Cambridge?

As for the choice of college, my rationale for choosing one is very much like yours, and I am glad you have brought St Chad to my notice. I have yet to get started on the research for choosing a college, but I already like St Chads. Thanks for the post, it was very helpful
AnaKWildness
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stuvetus)
Hi IGR, I am a current Oxford postgraduate, with a standing PhD offer from Durham. I expect to receive an offer from Oxford as well, and am waiting to hear back about scholarships before deciding. I was not aware that you could drop out after accepting an offer; I have yet to accept the Durham one and have recently received a prompt reminding me to accept it and get started on applying for colleges etc. Would you suggest accepting it right now? What would be the rationale? Do good colleges get filled up quickly like Cambridge?

As for the choice of college, my rationale for choosing one is very much like yours, and I am glad you have brought St Chad to my notice. I have yet to get started on the research for choosing a college, but I already like St Chads. Thanks for the post, it was very helpful
Stuvetus, congrats! I have received the mail about colleges too but I'll wait till the scholarship results before accepting the offer. It's just 3 weeks after all, isn't it? I don't know, in fact, if I can drop out after accepting...

As for colleges, I thought many postgrads go to Ustinov but can we choose other colleges too? What are the pros and cons of each? Are there scholarships related to colleges or special events for students from a specific department? I was thinking about finding a flat with my boyfriend so I won't need a place to live in the college, so I guess it's better to choose the best college for my studies (I'm not that into the college system because I'm a EU student.

I have received the answer back from Oxford too, but in the letter they say I haven't won any scholarships. Do you think I'd better wait if someone drops out or not? Anyway, Durham is still my fav.
stuvetus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AnaKWildness)
Stuvetus, congrats! I have received the mail about colleges too but I'll wait till the scholarship results before accepting the offer. It's just 3 weeks after all, isn't it? I don't know, in fact, if I can drop out after accepting...

As for colleges, I thought many postgrads go to Ustinov but can we choose other colleges too? What are the pros and cons of each? Are there scholarships related to colleges or special events for students from a specific department? I was thinking about finding a flat with my boyfriend so I won't need a place to live in the college, so I guess it's better to choose the best college for my studies (I'm not that into the college system because I'm a EU student.

I have received the answer back from Oxford too, but in the letter they say I haven't won any scholarships. Do you think I'd better wait if someone drops out or not? Anyway, Durham is still my fav.
Thanks AnaKWildness, congratulations to you too. I agree, I am not sure you can actually drop out after accepting an offer.

Hmmm, I don't know much about Durham colleges to be honest. I really like St Chads, as described by IGR.

Yes, if you think you narrowly missed out on a scholarship, it might be a good idea to wait and see if someone drops out. I think on the graduate website, "thegradcafe", there are examples of peoples who turned down their fully-funded Oxford offers for other universities. People often overlook the fact that Oxford is not the first choice for everyone, and indeed, I believe that Ertegun interviews assess commitment to accepting any offer from Oxford.

Of course, if Durham is your first choice and you will get funding, you should accept their offer. I, on the other hand, have a strong preference for Oxford.
linda helena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I accepted my offer for a PhD in Psychology at Durham today. Very excited about this and can't wait for October!

I've just started looking at colleges so still undecided.

/Linda
lorenaileon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone!

I accepted an offer for a Master's in International Relations. I'm an international student from Puerto Rico and applied to St. Chad's. I got an email saying that I had been accepted as a member but I won't know about accommodation until June or July... can't remember. I studied my BA at the University of Puerto Rico, and currently I'm living in Japan as part of a gap year that turned into two.

I partied hard during my BA, so I was looking for something small, quiet and research oriented. St. Chad's was the perfect fit!

Anyways, super excited and can't wait for October!
linda helena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I submitted my application for college membership a couple of days ago, 1. University College and 2. St Mary's. I was tempted to put St Chad's but in the end decided against it.

Btw, I couldn't find a facebook group for new DU postgrads so I set one up, please feel free to join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/276091986152599/
GraceCollins
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi!

I've got a conditional offer for MA Socio-Cultural Anthropology.

I'm not sure which college to choose from, I think I will look for accommodation in the city as it will be cheaper. Either that or I will commute from my home town which is Hartlepool

I've got offers from Newcastle and Leeds but I have accepted my offer from Durham. I'm currently doing my undergrad at York.
PensiveScribe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, everyone. I received an offer last week, and am currently searching frantically for some scholarships to help with the international tuition. I'm thrilled to even have an offer!
Emily579
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I've just received an offer for Medieval and Renaissance Literary Studies MA. I'm also going to be looking for accommodation in the city because I can't afford the college costs! Does anyone know if the choice of college will really affect me if I won't be living there?
williamsr94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IceCool)
Hi all! I am an American student strongly considering accepting my offer for an MA in International Relations. IceCool lorenaileon - may I ask what about Durham ultimately allowed you to accept your offer in IR in comparison to other universities?
linda helena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emily579)
Hi everyone,

I've just received an offer for Medieval and Renaissance Literary Studies MA. I'm also going to be looking for accommodation in the city because I can't afford the college costs! Does anyone know if the choice of college will really affect me if I won't be living there?
I imagine it depends entirely on how involved you want to get in college life. I'll be looking for accommodation in the city as well, but still want to make the most of being part of a college so I was really happy I got allocated the college I wanted.
Emily579
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by linda helena)
I imagine it depends entirely on how involved you want to get in college life. I'll be looking for accommodation in the city as well, but still want to make the most of being part of a college so I was really happy I got allocated the college I wanted.
Yeah definitely! I spoke to a friend who is currently doing her undergrad there and she said that that its very much a case of get involved as much as you want. She also said it might be quite difficult to get hold of accommodation in Durham at this point because its such a small city so recommended that I stay in college so I've applied. Which college did you get?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed