The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology (7402) Exam Thread - June 12th, June 20th and June 26th

Scroll to see replies

Biology is a myth tbh. Just do past paper questions, especially data analysis type questions involving graphs and experimental design. How much revision have you done so far?
Reply 181
are people revising every practical?
Reply 182
I'm literally doing everything possible to not fail biology and I still can't do well on the exam questions. I have at least 1 breakdown about bio per day and I'm wasting all of my time on it and getting nothing out of it. Help!?
Original post by op78
I'm literally doing everything possible to not fail biology and I still can't do well on the exam questions. I have at least 1 breakdown about bio per day and I'm wasting all of my time on it and getting nothing out of it. Help!?

How did you do on the specimen papers? How are you revising? Is the information sticking in your head? From what you've said you seem to be struggling with the exam technique - literally just try and do as many questions as you can. If you're a bit apprehensive about the questions, maybe look through a few questions, think about what the answer may be and then check the mark scheme - not writing anything down my help ease the pressure a little bit.
It seems to me that it's nerves and worrying that is holding you back. Try not to stress too much about biology (I know this is easier said than done :redface:) but try not to worry - you can only give it your best go and that is enough. Maybe try and cool off a little bit - do something to de-stress. You will be okay - just keep at it & things will sort themselves out.
Hope that helps, good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by alldaydreaming
How did you do on the specimen papers? How are you revising? Is the information sticking in your head? From what you've said you seem to be struggling with the exam technique - literally just try and do as many questions as you can. If you're a bit apprehensive about the questions, maybe look through a few questions, think about what the answer may be and then check the mark scheme - not writing anything down my help ease the pressure a little bit.
It seems to me that it's nerves and worrying that is holding you back. Try not to stress too much about biology (I know this is easier said than done :redface:) but try not to worry - you can only give it your best go and that is enough. Maybe try and cool off a little bit - do something to de-stress. You will be okay - just keep at it & things will sort themselves out.
Hope that helps, good luck :smile:

I've been getting high 50s/60ish percent and the grade boundaries for the AS was 58% for an A last year but my teachers think it'll go up by at least 10% this year which would put me at a low B/high C but I need a B for uni. I made flash cards and mindmaps for all the topics and I've been through and tried to learn them all but there's just so many! And then for the past few weeks, I've just been doing exam questions constantly and I'm really not getting any better. I think I know it when I revise but some of the answers on the mark schemes I would never think of in a million years! Thank you for your reply, it's nice to have moral support :smile: good luck to you too!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by op78
I've been getting high 50s/60ish percent and the grade boundaries for the AS was 56% or 58% for an A last year but my teachers think it'll go up by at least 10% this year which would put me at a low B/high C but I need a B for uni. I made flash cards and mindmaps for all the topics and I've been through and tried to learn them all but there's just so many! And then for the past few weeks, I've just been doing exam questions constantly and I'm really not getting any better. I think I know it when I revise but some of the answers on the mark schemes I would never think of in a million years! Thank you for your reply, it's nice to have moral support :smile: good luck to you too!

Interesting, my head of Science, who is close with head examiners, said he thinks it'll be 5% lower this year than AS. Due to new spec etc.

Have A2 biology grade boundaries ever been 70% for an A? Seems a bit high.

Maybe you're teacher is telling you that for some additional motivation :biggrin:
Reply 186
Original post by Movementmoments
Interesting, my head of Science, who is close with head examiners, said he thinks it'll be 5% lower this year than AS. Due to new spec etc.

Have A2 biology grade boundaries ever been 70% for an A? Seems a bit high.

Maybe you're teacher is telling you that for some additional motivation :biggrin:

My whole biology class is doing awful. I really don't know what our problem is!! I genuinely hope your teacher is right because there's no way I'm getting 70% in the real exams
Reply 187
Original post by op78
My whole biology class is doing awful. I really don't know what our problem is!! I genuinely hope your teacher is right because there's no way I'm getting 70% in the real exams

Same!
Too much pain still
Remain focused people, we can do it!!
Reply 190
Wondering if anyone could tell me, are we only going to be tested on specific aspects of the required practicals in paper 3, and "relevant practical skills" for paper 1 and 2 means just general practical knowledge? Cheers
Does anyone know how to calculate serial dilutions?

For example, 6 test tubes with conc 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

Given 10moldm-3 glucose. For the first one youre told it has 2cm3 water and 0cm3 glucose (0moldm-3 glucose).

What about for the second test tube?
Original post by kiiten
Does anyone know how to calculate serial dilutions?

For example, 6 test tubes with conc 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

Given 10moldm-3 glucose. For the first one youre told it has 2cm3 water and 0cm3 glucose (0moldm-3 glucose).

What about for the second test tube?

Nevermind, i figured it out :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by DNash
Wondering if anyone could tell me, are we only going to be tested on specific aspects of the required practicals in paper 3, and "relevant practical skills" for paper 1 and 2 means just general practical knowledge? Cheers

Paper 1: Req Pract 1-6
Paper 2: Req Pract 7-12
Paper 3: Any between 1 to 12

We could be asked about similar experiments to them, we should just understand how to answer questions based on practicals which past ISA and EMPAs are good for
Original post by op78

Also, just remembered this may help: https://handouts-live.s3.amazonaws.com/0ed0de0594624475bccd8503043899fa?sessionId=5968612392757946124&participantId=300275

It's an AS 'cheatsheet' - basically goes through the typical mark scheme points for typical questions - really helped me boost my AS grade last year from a D to an A in two weeks - although the threat of being kicked off the course (like the rest of my biology class) might have had something to do with my grade boost...:colondollar:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/key-word-lists-for-as-and-a2-aqa-biology-11523933
This may also help - it has tons of key words for each topic on the new spec which may help you get more of the marks on exam questions
Found this AMAZING document: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/revision-grids-with-links-for-aqa-biology-as-and-a2-biology-11595554?theme=3
It has revision links and synoptic links between the sections & also covers practicals!
Reply 196
Original post by alldaydreaming
Also, just remembered this may help: https://handouts-live.s3.amazonaws.com/0ed0de0594624475bccd8503043899fa?sessionId=5968612392757946124&participantId=300275

It's an AS 'cheatsheet' - basically goes through the typical mark scheme points for typical questions - really helped me boost my AS grade last year from a D to an A in two weeks - although the threat of being kicked off the course (like the rest of my biology class) might have had something to do with my grade boost...:colondollar:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/key-word-lists-for-as-and-a2-aqa-biology-11523933
This may also help - it has tons of key words for each topic on the new spec which may help you get more of the marks on exam questions

Thank you so much! I'll take all the help I can get!!
I know someone already mentioned this question. But how do you get 10cm3 and 90cm3 water.

I used the formula ci x vi = cf x vf

10000 x v = (100/1000) x 1000

volume of kinesin = 100dm3 ?????aaa.PNG
Original post by kiiten
I know someone already mentioned this question. But how do you get 10cm3 and 90cm3 water.

I used the formula ci x vi = cf x vf

10000 x v = (100/1000) x 1000

volume of kinesin = 100dm3 ?????aaa.PNG

Ok so you have 10K concentration solution of your inhibitor and you want 100 ml(=CM^3) of 1K concentration solution.

So divided the concentration of your solution (10K) by the concentration of the dilution you're trying to create (1K)

10K/1K = 10 so you know you want 10% of the dilution you're making to have the 10k concentration inhibitor in.

Therefore you have 10 cm^3 of the inhibitor (10%) and 90 cm^3 of distilled water (90%)

Not sure If this is what you wanted but that is how I would have worked through the question :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 199
thank you
Original post by hoafanuk
QUOTE=murmu;71377750]has anyone got paper 2 set 2 mark scheme

Here you go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending