Drama- Doctor Faustus
Prose- Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale

same texts :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by auburnstar
Woo thanks for making thread

I'm doing:

Drama: Dr Faustus, Othello
Prose: Frankenstein & The Handmaid's Tale (science & society)
Poetry: Wife of Bath (a personal fave tbh), Unseen & Anthology

Same, i'm also doing The Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein. What text are going to mainly write about? Also have you watched the tv series of Handmaids tale? Its so creepy!!
Original post by Liv265
Same, i'm also doing The Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein. What text are going to mainly write about? Also have you watched the tv series of Handmaids tale? Its so creepy!!

*high fives*

For the Prose essay, I try and do it roughly 50/50 in terms of how much I talk about. So one paragraph on Frankenstein, the next roughly equal paragraph on Handmaids comparing w Frankenstein etc. :smile: I do prefer Frankenstein a lot more though so I hope my bias doesn't show through haha :tongue:

I haven't actually! I've heard good things but I didn't want to accidentally remember the wrong quote or such so waiting until after exams xD
Reply 23
*high fives*

For the Prose essay, I try and do it roughly 50/50 in terms of how much I talk about. So one paragraph on Frankenstein, the next roughly equal paragraph on Handmaids comparing w Frankenstein etc. :smile: I do prefer Frankenstein a lot more though so I hope my bias doesn't show through haha :tongue:

I haven't actually! I've heard good things but I didn't want to accidentally remember the wrong quote or such so waiting until after exams xD

Ok thanks yeah we did more last year on Frankenstein so I feel more confident with it than Handmaids! Its good and yeah some of the quotes have been changed and they added things in like gorging eyes out haha but then I suppose maybe you could use it as a different interpretation?
Original post by Liv265
Ok thanks yeah we did more last year on Frankenstein so I feel more confident with it than Handmaids! Its good and yeah some of the quotes have been changed and they added things in like gorging eyes out haha but then I suppose maybe you could use it as a different interpretation?

Yea I get that, w Frankenstein the context is more easily integrated (eg Romanticism, Godwin, science of the time) whereas with Handmaids how are you gonna fit Reagan Era USA in xD

Interpretations are more important for drama obviously but you could probably swing it as a modern reader perception or how Atwood's response to the show would support her "it's not dystopian fiction, it's speculative fiction" argument. But yea, more important/relevant for drama doesn't mean it's not interesting to watch :tongue:
Reply 25
For poetry revision blogs I've found helpful-
http://interpreture.com/
https://yourenglishliterature.wordpress.com/
For anyone doing Supernatural in prose, what themes have you looked at? I'm doing Dorian Gray and The Little Stranger.
Am I the only one dreading Prose??

How are you revising for it?
Hamlet and Waiting for Godot
Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein
Poems of the Decade and Keats
:smile:
Does anyone have any idea what questions will come up for Hamlet and Streetcar? Trying to plan out my answers ahead of the exam :smile:
Original post by lydiadurham
Does anyone have any idea what questions will come up for Hamlet and Streetcar? Trying to plan out my answers ahead of the exam :smile:

Im doing those texts too and i really have no idea:frown: Im assuming the Hamlet questions will be based around the themes in the critical anthologies but i don't know about streetcar. Can anyone help?
Perhaps the Streetcar question could be to do with Blanche as a tragic hero? I have no idea 😰
Perhaps the Streetcar question could be to do with Blanche as a tragic hero? I have no idea 😰

When I was doing it for coursework, the themes of illusion vs reality and gender/gender roles came up a lot.
When I was doing it for coursework, the themes of illusion vs reality and gender/gender roles came up a lot.

So does that mean that they will not be the questions that the exam is on..? I don't know if they'd do it twice...
So does that mean that they will not be the questions that the exam is on..? I don't know if they'd do it twice...

Those are just general themes that we talked about in class - not sure what the past paper questions are. If they are on those themes they probably won't come up with the exact same wording but it's possible that they come up with new wording (eg instead of relationship between Stanley and eg Blanche it might be masculine attitudes)
Reply 35
Does anyone have any practise questions for Othello? Its so annoying that there's no past papers for this :frown:
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Drama for me is Streetcar and King Lear

Prose is Hard Times and Atonement :smile:

How have you been finding the course?

Late to the conversation but finally somebody who does the same texts as me for prose!
Original post by layla_11
Does anyone have any practise questions for Othello? Its so annoying that there's no past papers for this :frown:

themes that spring to mind:
race
jealousy
love
prejudice
honour and reputation
tragic hero
themes that spring to mind:
race
jealousy
love
prejudice
honour and reputation
tragic hero

Thank you!! Do you reckon a question is likely to be on theme then? the sample ones don't really give much away but I think it'll probably be theme or character
Original post by layla_11
Thank you!! Do you reckon a question is likely to be on theme then? the sample ones don't really give much away but I think it'll probably be theme or character

The sample ones were the presentation of the disturbing aspects of human nature and betrayal as far as I remember, so I'm pretty confident they'll be on themes related to the Critical Anthology. If it were on the characters I'd imagine it would be Othello (Loomba racial outsider, Bradley vs Leavis tragic hero) or Iago (views of Honigmann, Dr Johnson and Romantic critic Lamb).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending