The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Literature 9TE0 - 15, 22 & 29 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussions]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherry82
Good luck everyone! Just wanted to quickly ask though, how long are you all going to spend planning for the unseen bit? I was thinking I should go for 5 mins but even this seems unrealistic. I'll probably spend 10 minutes then 1 hour writing. Hopefully it goes well and to plan.

10 mins plan
1 hr writing
ish, as its 2hr 15 not 2 hr 20
x2
http://community.edexcel.com/english/f/12/tags/Decade in A level/default.aspxhttps://twitter.com/PearsonTeachEng/status/873041440208691200This is the Edexcel subject advisor saying you don't need photocopies / books of the Poems of the Decade for Section A. The poems will be printed in the Source Booklet, along with the Unseen.
That's wasn't actually too bad tbh. I compared Morissey's "Genetics" wih When Six O’Clock Comes and Another Day Has Passed by Kathryn Simmonds and the Wife Of Bath question wasn't either justice or marriage. Which wasn't fantastic!

Im just hoping that I've met all the assment objectives so that I get a higher grade. Fingers crossed.

Exams finally done!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Adamski2409
That's wasn't bad actually too bad tbh. I compared Morissey's "Genetics" wih When Six O’Clock Comes and Another Day Has Passed by Kathryn Simmonds and the Wife Of Bath question wasn't either justice or marriage. Which wasn't fantastic!

Im just hoping that I've met all the assment objectives so that I get a higher grade. Fingers crossed.

Exams finally done!

Between not justice and not marriage, which one did you (not) do? :tongue:

And FINALLY praise Jesus
Original post by auburnstar
Between not justice and not marriage, which one did you (not) do? :tongue:

And FINALLY praise Jesus

Haha I'm more confused now then the actual exam, good omen?

I did marriage.
Mate, thanks for your help. Legend.
The unseen wasn't good
Original post by Remaine
Good fortune, people, hoping for the best!

A big thank you to @auburnstar, who has been a massive help to me, and pretty much everybody else; and a big thank you to @Beth_H, whose blog is saving my butt.

Another thanks goes to the people who helped with my admittedly many queries, in whatever way they could.

The rating system here is a tad obnoxious, so I figured let me dedicate a post to my gratitude - you're all lifesavers.

This is the last hurdle - smash it and have a great summer.

Glad you liked the blog, hope you found the exam alright!
That exam could have been worse!

I feel indifferent about the unseen question; not really the themes I anticipated to come up, but the choice of poem was welcome; I did the comparison of parent and children bond with Genetics.

Romanticism? I think I did poorly, my brain kept making me double guess everything I wrote down as I felt the other poem I chose wasn't a helpful one to pick. but apparently other people had also used that poem, so I feel slightly better.
(For reference, I compared Lines Written in Early Spring with Stanzas written in Dejection near Naples on the natural world.)
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
That exam could have been worse!

I feel indifferent about the unseen question; not really the themes I anticipated to come up, but the choice of poem was welcome; I did the comparison of parent and children bond with Genetics.

Romanticism? I think I did poorly, my brain kept making me double guess everything I wrote down as I felt the other poem I chose wasn't a helpful one to pick. but apparently other people had also used that poem, so I feel slightly better.
(For reference, I compared Lines Written in Early Spring with Stanzas written in Dejection near Naples on the natural world.)

Yh I feel the opposite. Did u find the timing alright ? And Yh I did the same question .
The WoB question went well, we had done a question on marriage in class!

I will keep this one short, but:

- Connoted the idea that marriage is presented as a hub for the WoB to achieve sovereignty, using 195-218 as the comparison passage.
- Connoted the idea that marriage is presented as a debased concept; it is a sacred bond, but the Wife either misunderstands, or chooses to ignore this.

AO2 I mentioned:

- Dynamic verbs
- Exegesis
- Catachresis
- Metaphors
- Allusions
- Rhetorical questions
- Forceful tone
- Patronising tone (comparison passage)

Couldn't get enough of AO3, did my best to make many points relevant.

The anthology poetry? Well, this is where Beth's blog REALLY came into clutch, I compared it with Effects, wasn't quite able to finish, but this is what I got:

- Central contrast (what happens in the poem)
- Pathetic fallacy in Simmonds
- Both retain a solemn and modest tone, yet a newborn is typically positive whilst parent's death is negative
- Simmonds has an instance of anaphora and a lot of repetition; listing brought in
- Jenkins has an erratic rhyme scheme until the very end, where there are couplets
- Simmonds' poem also ends in a positive light, but less subtlely, using direct speech
- Similar in that it is one long stanza
- Embedded emjambement in Effects

- Sprinkling the central contrast throughout to show how the similar devices used put forward a different meaning

We were taught incorrectly so I was expecting to compare it to another anthology poem walking in; but even now, I have no clue what I would compare Effects or Genetics to, and I found Simmonds' poem to be okay, at least.

With that said, good luck and peace out!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nikapro
Yh I feel the opposite. Did u find the timing alright ? And Yh I did the same question .

I think my timing was alright? I spent roughly 5 minutes planning before I dove into the Unseen for an hour, and then had a break before planning the other question for 5 minutes and then wrote until the end.
Anyone know which rossetti poems we were allowed to use?
I did the question on emotional responses comparing effects with the unseen poem. I focused on language - enjambment and the structure- regular, continuous structure with both poems.
I did the romantics and the question was on natural world. I did Wordsworth: early lines written in spring with To autumn by Keats. I think I did ok overall but I don't think i analysed indepth. Did anyone else do the romantics and what did you write? I talked about the poets idolising nature and appreciating the sublime which helps them to cope. With wordsworth, his sister Dorothy had suffered a mental breakdown and Keats wanted to be a famous writer but died young so nature allows them to escape from the harsh realities of life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gemma kb
I did the question on emotional responses comparing effects with the unseen poem. I focused on language - enjambment and the structure- regular, continuous structure with both poems.
I did the romantics and the question was on natural world. I did Wordsworth: early lines written in spring with To autumn by Keats. I think I did ok overall but I don't think i analysed indepth. Did anyone else do the romantics and what did you write? I talked about the poets idolising nature and appreciating the sublime which helps them to cope. With wordsworth, his sister Dorothy had suffered a mental breakdown and Keats wanted to be a famous writer but died young so nature allows them to escape from the harsh realities of life.

I did the Romantics! I compared Wordsworth with Shelley's Stanzas written in dejection, near Naples (I went there on a trip in March, so I had the context down; although it meant I never learned Bronte...) I mainly compared it on the basis around Pantheism, and that both poets seemed to find solace in nature - it was a place of beauty for them, and to see its destruction is painful and brings 'sad thoughts'
Oh right. I like what you did. I think that was the best poem to actually compare with. What mark do you think you would get for romantics? looking at your answer I think what I did may not be right.

Really? Most people I talked to didn't compare it to Naples, they chose Tintern Abbey or another one by shelley. I was seriously doubting myself in the exam thinking that my response was too far from the question at times. Ah well, it's our interpretation of 'natural world' so we've probably both done amicably.
Mark? No idea, so I'm going to go with what I achieved in my mock as a baseline; 36 out of 60 (19 and 17)
The reason why I think Naples was good was bc I think I could have wrote more about that poem. I think I panicked bc my timing was bad but I managed to finish. I got similar mark in my mock too.

Ah, fair enough; the timing was quite difficult for some others from what I heard, so you're not alone there. You'll be fine!
What grade are you hoping to get/were aiming for?
I was only aiming for a grade B. What about you?

The same! I think I did poorly in my coursework, so I doubt I'd reach my stretch goal of an A
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
The same! I think I did poorly in my coursework, so I doubt I'd reach my stretch goal of an A

Oh, dw. I wouldn't say that, just yet because you never know, you may end up with an A. Don't lose hope.
Original post by Remaine
The WoB question went well, we had done a question on marriage in class!

I will keep this one short, but:

- Connoted the idea that marriage is presented as a hub for the WoB to achieve sovereignty, using 195-218 as the comparison passage.
- Connoted the idea that marriage is presented as a debased concept; it is a sacred bond, but the Wife either misunderstands, or chooses to ignore this.

AO2 I mentioned:

- Dynamic verbs
- Exegesis
- Catachresis
- Metaphors
- Allusions
- Rhetorical questions
- Forceful tone
- Patronising tone (comparison passage)

Couldn't get enough of AO3, did my best to make many points relevant.

Really similar actually! I did her marriage with Jankin's though as a demonstration of her love of 'maistrie'. I kinda did a bit of a funny/left-field conclusion - argued that marriage is just another of Chaucer's 'tools' to make the Wife appear as a compelling character.

- active verbs
- first person narrative voice
- biblical language and allusions
- violent, accusatory and colloquial/vulgar language
- anaphora
- rhyming couplets
- metaphor

For AO3 I got the importance of marriage for women, how the Wife's remarriage would have been controversial, how Chaucer's portrayal of Alison might increase feminist reader's sympathy, how she's the antithesis to courtly romance and the femme couverte/Virgin Mary archetype ideal. But yea I feel that AO3 would have been easier to integrate with an 'attitudes towards feminine roles' question.

Quick Reply

Latest