Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    just asking for some advice. I'm studying religious studies at edinburgh uni in september. I got the offer through clearing last year which was then deffered, I've always wanted to study at edinburgh but not in this course. I emailed the uni a month ago to ask for a possible change to classical studies before the start of term but they said no. just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change your course in the first year or do you have to wait untill after the 1st year? and do you think its worth doing a course that your not 100% about in order to study at the uni you want to go to and then try to change courses.
    any help or advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of people changing courses at the end of the 1st year - they tend to be to similar courses though.

ReputationRep:
    At Edinburgh don't you study 3-4 subjects in the first year? ...because if I remember rightly they mentioned something about how they are very flexible when students chose which degree to do out of these 3-4 choices.

ReputationRep:
    You can change at the end of first year if the first year of each course is made of similiar modules, if the two subjects are totally unrelated youl need excellent grades in your first year and then you might have to repeat it for your new subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate27)
    hey,
    just asking for some advice. I'm studying religious studies at edinburgh uni in september. I got the offer through clearing last year which was then deffered, I've always wanted to study at edinburgh but not in this course. I emailed the uni a month ago to ask for a possible change to classical studies before the start of term but they said no. just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change your course in the first year or do you have to wait untill after the 1st year? and do you think its worth doing a course that your not 100% about in order to study at the uni you want to go to and then try to change courses.
    any help or advice would be great
    It won't be a problem if you want to change once you get to Edinburgh, provided you're willing to do some religious studies, possibly for two years. You'd be doing one or two outside subjects for your first couple of years and you don't decide finally on which degree you want to graduate in until the end of second year, and provided you've done enough work in another subject (ie, you took it for two years), they ought to let you change.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.