The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Finance related questions

Hello,

I have an unconditional offer to study at the University of Derby in September 2017 and I'm going into halls of residence.

In preparation for university I have a few finance related questions;

1. How much should I save for university? And how much did you save?

2. How much is the cost of food and living in Derby per week?

3. Student finance has said my expected payment date for tuition fees is 18/10/2017. Is the date correct? As I didn't know if the University of Derby has a set date it has to be paid by.

Thank you for your time!
Original post by Matthewww
Hello,

I have an unconditional offer to study at the University of Derby in September 2017 and I'm going into halls of residence.

In preparation for university I have a few finance related questions;

1. How much should I save for university? And how much did you save?

2. How much is the cost of food and living in Derby per week?

3. Student finance has said my expected payment date for tuition fees is 18/10/2017. Is the date correct? As I didn't know if the University of Derby has a set date it has to be paid by.

Thank you for your time!

Hi Matthew,
I’m now a first year at Derby studying marketing but before I came here, I was lucky enough to have a university fund from my family so if you don’t have anything like that, I would definitely recommend saving. At uni, any extra money you have you will be very grateful for. Although it is possible to live off student loans alone, it can be a bit difficult sometimes (once you take into account your rent, food, travel costs) so if you can, definitely save.
For me I spend about £20 a week on food and then at most another £20 on anything else (clothes, occasional meals out). I don’t go out partying much though so if you plan on going out a lot, you may have to factor that into how much you spend on other non-essentials.
I wouldn’t worry about your tuition fee loan as this is sorted by Student Finance directly with the university. For me, I haven’t had to sort anything with my tuition fee loan, it just goes directly to the university. With your maintenance loan, you should get a text three days prior to the money going into your account.
Hope you enjoy it here and let me now if there’s any other questions you have!
Molly
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mollyanne98
Hi Matthew,
I’m now a first year at Derby studying marketing but before I came here, I was lucky enough to have a university fund from my family so if you don’t have anything like that, I would definitely recommend saving. At uni, any extra money you have you will be very grateful for. Although it is possible to live off student loans alone, it can be a bit difficult sometimes (once you take into account your rent, food, travel costs) so if you can, definitely save.
For me I spend about £20 a week on food and then at most another £20 on anything else (clothes, occasional meals out). I don’t go out partying much though so if you plan on going out a lot, you may have to factor that into how much you spend on other non-essentials.
I wouldn’t worry about your tuition fee loan as this is sorted by Student Finance directly with the university. For me, I haven’t had to sort anything with my tuition fee loan, it just goes directly to the university. With your maintenance loan, you should get a text three days prior to the money going into your account.
Hope you enjoy it here and let me now if there’s any other questions you have!
Molly

Hello Molly,

Thank you for replying to my questions! I really appreciate the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest