The Student Room Group

Struggling with A2 french stimulus card

Hi I'm Liam and I don't know about anyone else but I find the stimulus card really hard to prepare for..Like I always run out of ideas during practice with my teacher and I struggle to counteract an argument put forward to me . Someone please help me ! Useful tips would be much appreciated! Au secours! Thanks..
Original post by sk.liam19
Hi I'm Liam and I don't know about anyone else but I find the stimulus card really hard to prepare for..Like I always run out of ideas during practice with my teacher and I struggle to counteract an argument put forward to me . Someone please help me ! Useful tips would be much appreciated! Au secours! Thanks..

You need to have more practice at the planning stage, by the sounds of it. Try this, it might help:

When you get your card:

Read the 2 points of view expressed on the card. Then:

- Make a note of the topic (eg environment, health etc.) it falls under. Then write down the topic-relevant vocab included in both the points of view. Although this is not at all difficult, it will help you focus and will take the panic out of the situation. Then:

- Decide the point of view you are going to take; write it down.

- Think of 3 arguments in favour of your point of view; jot them down. Just a few words and/or expressions will do.

- Then think of a few arguments you might have used for the opposite point of view. Make a note of these. This will prepare you for what the examiner might throw at you, so try to think of a few counter-arguments.

So: between now and the exam, make sure you know your topic-related vocab; and make sure you are able to take a point of view on controversial issues. Eg for the environment: for or against nuclear energy? for or against renewable energy? for or against carless Sundays in big cities? Thinking about these issues beforehand as part of your revision will help you enormously on the day.

Other tips:

When you get your card, have a clock or a watch handy. Take about 5 minutes to decide on the opinion you're going to support and bullet points for arguments supporting your point of view. It will help you start off confidently. Next 5 minutes: think about the counter arguments, use bullet points. The next 10 minutes, develop these arguments a bit; you could write out a few lines for each bullet point - both in favour of your point of view and your counter-arguments.

When speaking, keep your points very clear. Use words like d'abord, ensuite, de plus, de surcroît, etc. so that the examiner can differentiate your points.

Don't use much evidence or data or examples in your introduction, save those for the counter arguing.

Don't necessarily present your top points in the first minute, maybe save some of your strongest for the debate otherwise you might run out of ideas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending