Torn between UEA and Warwick for History 2017

Watch this thread
ordhistory
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have offers from both (Warwick - AAA or UEA - Unconditonal if firm choice or AAB) but am really torn. Warwick seems to have more prestige but I love the course at UEA and the atmosphere there. I'm also really into musical theatre so wasn't sure if the societies at UEA are the same standard as Warwick which has a few more and the Warwick Arts Centre. As I said though, the UEA course has engaged me far more than the one at Warwick which after an Open Day and an Offer Holder Day I still feel I don't know very much about.

If anyone has any info that would be useful I'd really appreciate it.
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Sounds like you've got a tough decision to make! It's always important to look at the course make-up, which it sounds like you've already done. Remember, whichever university you choose, you'll be spending three years of your life there, so you want to make sure you'll enjoy it!

The History BA at UEA is 1st in the UK for overall student satisfaction, and UEA as a whole is 3rd for student satisfaction, and is consistently in the top five of the National Student Survey, so our students are definitely enjoying their time here! It's great to hear that you loved the course and the atmosphere here - we like to think UEA has a very welcoming and relaxed vibe.

I noticed you said you were into musical theatre - there's a really brilliant cultural scene here in Norwich, including the award-winning Norwich Arts Centre, which shows lots of kooky immersive drama, The Garage centre for performing arts, The Norwich Playhouse (which has a great bar attached), The Norwich Puppet Theatre, The Maddermarket Theatre, The Norwich Theatre Royal (our big theatre, which has lots of touring shows), and The Sewell Barn Theatre. We also have a yearly arts festival, called the Norfolk & Norwich Festival which brings global performances to our fine city, and is always looking for volunteers! So there's plenty for you to get involved with, and lots of shows to enjoy.

Of course, there's plenty going on campus too! Societies-wise, you can find out more about them here. There are often shows in our purpose-build Drama Studio, and it's really easy to get involved. You could take a look at the Drama Society's Facebook page for a bit more info.

Academically, the History BA is top 15 in the UK according to The 2017 Guardian University Guide. One of the excellent things about studying at UEA is that in Year 2 and 3 you're able to tailor your degree to suit your interests, as you can choose the modules which most appeal to you.

You might like this short video about the History department:

I myself completed a BA here, and then came back for an MA, so can confirm that it's an excellent place to study and live!

I hope that all helps, and good luck making your decision!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ordhistory)
I have offers from both (Warwick - AAA or UEA - Unconditonal if firm choice or AAB) but am really torn. Warwick seems to have more prestige but I love the cours at UEA and the atmosphere there. I'm also really into musical theatre so wasn't sure if the societies at UEA are the same standard as Warwick which has a few more and the Warwick Arts Centre. As I said though, the UEA course has engaged me far more than the one at Warwick which after an Open Day and an Offer Holder Day I still feel I don't know very much about.

If anyone has any info that would be useful I'd really appreciate it.
At the end of the day prestige won't make you happy for 3 years, and it won't on its own help you get a job. You should be looking at course content, facilities and location. In terms of Musical theatre, as the UEA rep said there are certainly plenty of places to go and watch shows including musicals. TAs far as societies go, there isn't a musical theatre society per say, however there is the drama society and there are choirs including the Glee showchoir. See here for the full list https://www.uea.su/opportunities/societies/
molly49
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
This being said, I'm a Warwick History first year student and Warwick is fantastic for facilities and courses alike. Like you say, Warwick is prestigious, and its made me happy, but only you know what you want to do in life and if you feel like the other Uni has more, go for it!

P.s the Arts Centre is awesome though, loads of societies to get involved in, and moreover, their extremely welcoming!

Goodluck in your choice.
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by molly49)
This being said, I'm a Warwick History first year student and Warwick is fantastic for facilities and courses alike. Like you say, Warwick is prestigious, and its made me happy, but only you know what you want to do in life and if you feel like the other Uni has more, go for it!

P.s the Arts Centre is awesome though, loads of societies to get involved in, and moreover, their extremely welcoming!

Goodluck in your choice.
The arts centre is the best part of campus!
Carman3
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Id say go to warwick its more prestigious
harvardlaw
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
100% Warwick as it so much more prestigious, better thought of in the academic and professional world
Unknown598
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I studied Politics at UEA, which contained an optional History module. I didn't really enjoy the course or the uni atmosphere, and personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Jayarsmith
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Unknown598)
I studied Politics at UEA, which contained an optional History module. I didn't really enjoy the course or the uni atmosphere, and personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Hi, I plan to study Politics at UEA so could you please elaborate on why you didn't like the course or atmosphere?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed