Capital Punishment Referendum: Choose your side Watch

This discussion is closed.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Capital Punishment Referendum

"Should the United Kingdom reintroduce the capability of judges to consider awarding a penalty of capital punishment where it is just to do so?"

Starting from now, until the 5th March members are asked to post in here choosing which side they wish to represent within this campaign. You do not have to choose a side, but failing to do so will render you ineligible come the vote for the leader and deputy of each campaign.

This list will help campaign leaders know who they can rely on throughout the campaign.

You can either choose:
A. Those in favour - The United Kingdom should reintroduce the capability of judges to consider awarding a penalty of capital punishment where it is just to do so?"

B. Those against - The United Kingdom should not reintroduce the capability of judges to consider awarding a penalty of capital punishment where it is just to do so?"

We would appreciate discussions not related to membership of either campaign is kept to a minimum within this thread!
Alpha-tega
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B (also first post)
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will be campaigning against giving this state the power to kill its citizens (Group B); those who read my reasons for proposing this referendum will know exactly why
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B.
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Against capital punishment
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B.

Against capital punishment.
jape
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A.

In favour of the death penalty.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B-against capital punishment.
However, with the way that this particular question is poised it's hard to argue against it.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B, against capital punishment
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
B-against capital punishment.
However, with the way that this particular question is poised it's hard to argue against it.
Blame TheDefiniteArticle, this was not my original question proposal but he proposed this alternative in order for him to abstain on the original bill, which I thought could be crucial at the time so I agreed to it.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Blame TheDefiniteArticle, this was not my original question proposal but he proposed this alternative in order for him to abstain on the original bill, which I thought could be crucial at the time so I agreed to it.
the point is for the question to be so broad it's essentially meaningless

I wouldn't have accepted a referendum which could have led to meaningful support for the death penalty, how barbaric
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Well I do blame TheDefiniteArticle then, because I feel as if this is a question certain to be rejected by the electoral commission.

I realise my tone may come off as scathing, but I am merely wondering if this question is one that would be accepted in real life.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
Well I do blame TheDefiniteArticle then, because I feel as if this is a question certain to be rejected by the electoral commission.

I realise my tone may come off as scathing, but I am merely wondering if this question is one that would be accepted in real life.
The referendum being rejected would have been an entirely acceptable result to me IRL. My motivations were entirely political. I don't support direct democracy at all, it does not increase democratic value, and a political mandate to reintroduce the death penalty is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Also I'll be arguing against.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
B - Against capital punishment.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
The referendum being rejected would have been an entirely acceptable result to me IRL. My motivations were entirely political. I don't support direct democracy at all, it does not increase democratic value, and a political mandate to reintroduce the death penalty is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

I do understand what you are trying to say, however for TSR purposes this referendum was always going to pass, if not simply to confirm TSR's view against capital punishment.
The bold is what I'm interested in, as this question, with words such as "capability" and "just" seems to do exactly what you said you were trying not to do.
I will respect the bottom comment on the OP, and not continue with this as we agree regardless.
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haven't been in these corners of TSR for a while...

Thought I'd weigh in and say against. Although it's a bit silly that this referendum is happening, since we already know what the result is going to be.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

They can be good espically if they have limits e.g instead of having a majority vote winner have a "50% of all registered voters are required" that way turnout isn't an issue and a simple majority isn't enough. If 70% turned out you need 5/7 people to win, if turnout is below 50% it'd automatically be rejected. It's done a good job for devolution and works great in America
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A

Would be nice if we had a speaker capable of getting subs though, especially when there is at least one free sub anyway
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads