The Student Room Group

University bans 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement'.

University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/03/02/university-bans-phrases-right-hand-man-gentlemans-agreement/

It advises that the terms “forefathers”, “mankind” and “sportsmanship” should be avoided, as part of efforts to “embrace cultural diversity” through language.

Gender-neutral terms checklist | From Cardiff Metropolitan University's Code of Practice on using Inclusive Language

Forefathers - Ancestors, forebears
Gentleman’s agreement - Unwritten agreement, agreement based on trust
Girls (for adults) - women
Housewife - Shopper, consumer, homemaker (depends on context)
Manpower - Human resources, labour force, staff, personnel, workers, workforce
Man or mankind - Humanity, humankind, human race, people
Man-made - Artificial, manufactured, synthetic
Man in the street, common man - Average/ordinary/typical citizen/person
Right-hand man - Chief assistant
Sportsmanship - Fairmess, good humour, sense of fair play

Man-made - Artificial, manufactured, synthetic

I don't think they thought this through...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stupid reproductive paraphernalia (non-gender specific but I have one particular element it in mind)
That is one of the most retarded things I have ever read.
This is cardiff metropolitan, one of the worst unis around since its a met uni. No one cares what the losers there think. We should be concerned with top unis not *****y non RG unis.

Ofc, OP went to the open uni to receive his worthless education so he thinks the rest of use give a **** about what goes on in rubbish unis.
Reply 4
Original post by snapincIPO
This is cardiff metropolitan, one of the worst unis around since its a met uni. No one cares what the losers there think. We should be concerned with top unis not *****y non RG unis.

Ofc, OP went to the open uni to receive his worthless education so he thinks the rest of use give a **** about what goes on in rubbish unis.

I mean it's Cardiff Metropolitan university we're talking about here
>Cardiff Metropoliton
The 'man' in most of these words is gender-neutral in both origin and context, though. Do they seriously not know that the man in mankind and human, woman etc. is there for the same reason? It just meant person/people back in the day. It isn't sexist or exclusionary.
this is a new chapter in the commandeering of language rules by maladapted ignoramuses in the guise of humanitarian benevolence
Is not Cardiff as a name in a way unsuitable? A Car pollutes, it is not very sustainable? Metropolitan has connotations of Metrosexual, which is gender specific?
Original post by the bear
this is a new chapter in the commandeering of language rules by maladapted ignoramuses in the guise of humanitarian benevolence

What it is is completely mental personstal.
I also take issue with right hand man because it's somehow suggesting that right-handed people are superior to left-handers. Left-handed people have suffered enough persecution throughout history.
Reply 12
Cardiff Metropolitan University is going to attract so many good female students after this. Right, ladies? Don't you prefer to go to a "gender inclusive" university?
Original post by Dandaman1
The 'man' in most of these words is gender-neutral in both origin and context, though. Do they seriously not know that the man in mankind and human, woman etc. is there for the same reason? It just meant person/people back in the day. It isn't sexist or exclusionary.

That's the traditional justification. It doesn't work though - the use of phrases like 'mankind' constantly remind people of the supposed supremacy of the male gender.

CMU are only reminding people of what has been recommended for years in many public bodies. At the university I work in, the official style guides remind staff not to use gender-centric phrases.
Original post by Josb
Cardiff Metropolitan University is going to attract so many good female students after this. Right, ladies? Don't you prefer to go to a "gender inclusive" university?

It isn't just them, it's most universities.
Original post by the bear

It's mandatory. Stop manoeuvring to try to manipulate the situation.
Reply 16
The guidance - which includes a list of 34 words and phrases that should be avoided - says that student need not be “too anxious” about the use of language.

Earlier this week it emerged that Cambridge University students had complained about being served "Jamaican stew" and "Tunisian rice", claiming that the cultures were "misrepresented".
:lolwut:

Jesus Christ, we need a stronger word than "special snowflakes". Who the hell is anxious when using the word "mankind"?
Reply 17
TFW you're a SJW Feminist English Lit undergrad but don't know that "man" is supposed to be gender neutral depending on the context.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's the traditional justification. It doesn't work though - the use of phrases like 'mankind' constantly remind people of the supposed supremacy of the male gender.

'Mankind' just reminds me of how kind men are, while 'womanhood' indicates how women have increasingly become criminals. The 'justice' in 'social justice' reminds us all how cold left wing politics really is.
My right hand man tells me that our forefathers would have believed that the common man would have been against such strange man-made offence, and thus would've had a gentleman's agreement use their manpower and slap these girls and housewives silly were they to ever impose such silly rules. A great show of sportsmanship that all mankind presently should aspire towards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending