The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances - Do I still have a chance?

I missed an assignment deadline in the last week of January and was adamant on dropping out. In early February I was advised that I should see a GP for a letter and apply for extenuating circumstances (on grounds of depression/anxiety).

I did have an appointment with a GP and planned to go but was too scared to leave the house at the last minute, so missed it.

It's been a whole month since I missed the assignment and I now don't even know if it is still worth even trying to get an application through because:
A- It's been so long
B- I've read that I could only use evidence if the GP is aware of the issues before the assignment deadline had passed (e.g. a letter saying the likes of 'the student tells me they have been suffering from ___' apparently isn't allowed)
And C- It'll take another couple of weeks to even get the letter even if it is granted.

Plus there's the apparent £25 fee that doctors charge for notes to prove extenuating circumstances. I don't really want to pay that if there's practically no chance of getting the application approved now.

Any help? Do I still have a chance?

I have an assignment due next week which I have partially done, but now I'm feeling as though there's no point completing it if I don't get the extenuating circumstances because without it, I'm not even guaranteed to get a 2:2 for this year.

:s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Wiggly
I missed an assignment deadline in the last week of January and was adamant on dropping out. In early February I was advised that I should see a GP for a letter and apply for extenuating circumstances (on grounds of depression/anxiety).

I did have an appointment with a GP and planned to go but was too scared to leave the house at the last minute, so missed it.

It's been a whole month since I missed the assignment and I now don't even know if it is still worth even trying to get an application through because:
A- It's been so long
B- I've read that I could only use evidence if the GP is aware of the issues before the assignment deadline had passed (e.g. a letter saying the likes of 'the student tells me they have been suffering from ___' apparently isn't allowed)
And C- It'll take another couple of weeks to even get the letter even if it is granted.

Plus there's the apparent £25 fee that doctors charge for notes to prove extenuating circumstances. I don't really want to pay that if there's practically no chance of getting the application approved now.

I have an assignment due next week which I have partially done, but now I'm feeling as though there's no point completing it if I don't get the extenuating circumstances because without it, I'm not even guaranteed to get a 2:2 for this year.

It depends on the time period on which you can apply for EC. Check with your course officer or department to see how long this period is. If you can still apply then definitely go for it.
Original post by Wiggly

A- It's been so long

Missing an assignment is always a rotten, awful, frustrating thing, and it happens to the best of us. The important thing is to keep looking forwards - make sure you do this assignment as well as you can, and hand it in on time. If you're struggling, look online for essay writing tips, or get a book on writing essays from the library.

The vast majority of universities allow retakes of any modules below the 40% pass rate, so all is not lost on your missed assignment - you can probably redo it over the summer, or something similar. The most important thing you can do right now is talk to your Tutor, as they can tell you what worth a doctor's note would have. (I have to say, I doubt it would be much, as most doctor's notes are only for extending deadlines in the case of sudden illness:frown: ) Your tutor can also discuss what problems you're having with your course, and point you in the right direction for help - most Tutors are non-judgement, knowledgeable people who have seen it all before.

Although I doubt a GP can help with extenuating circumstances, it still sounds like a good idea to go and see them. If your mental health is affecting your university work, then it sounds like you need help - and if you don't want medication, they won't force it on you. Getting counselling through the NHS can take a long time, so you're better going now than waiting till you're at crisis point.

Keep your head up high,

Frances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending