finn61
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The A2 Weather and Climate has me scratching my head a bit,
I can't get my head around 1) Why Rossby waves form 2) The effect of the jetstream on the climate of the British isles.

Can someone explain it to me please?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by finn61)
The A2 Weather and Climate has me scratching my head a bit,
I can't get my head around 1) Why Rossby waves form 2) The effect of the jetstream on the climate of the British isles.

Can someone explain it to me please?
Hello! I apologise for the very late reply, but I'll try to answer your two questions.

1. Rossby waves form due to interactions between different air masses (large parcels of air which have consistent internal characteristics of temperature and humidity). An example of where Rossby waves form is between the polar easterlies (currents of cold, dry air from the poles flowing towards the equator), and the mid-latitude westerlies (warmer air flowing from the lower latitudes towards the poles). These wind systems meet at a boundary called the polar front. Because the two air masses are trying to flow in opposite directions and their relative strengths change, the boundary between them is not uniform but undulates in large waves called Rossby waves, which alternate between high and low latitudes.

2) Jet streams are relatively narrow bands of fast moving air which follow the boundaries between air masses. Because of changing atmospheric conditions, jet streams move from higher to lower latitudes and vice versa. The polar front jet stream sits above the UK. When it moves to the south of the UK, it brings in cold air from the Arctic and we get cold weather, and when it moves to the north of the UK, it brings in warm air from the tropics.

I hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads